Re: My chipping is a flop every time...

Wed, Dec 1 2010 9:26 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 7:46 AM

jakestanfill7:

mohuyu:
    If your ball isn't directly next to the green, don't bother with the chip - it won't go anywhere. Use the pitch shot instead. If you are too far to pitch then try the flop (about 19 - 30yds i'd say). If you are 30yds or more - the best thing to do is use a punch or full shot with the shortest of your wedges. Always remember you want to pick a club that uses as much as the swing meter as possible.

Couldn't disagree more and I think my stats prove my case.  538 holed shots and I almost exclusively pitch or chip.  Flops may be good to get close but not nearly as effective for knocking it in.  Depending on the lie, I even chip from 40 50 rough sometimes and have holed at least 40 of those.

5-14 yds are almost always chips.  Tinker with top spin some if you have to run it through the fringe. 

14-34 yds are pitches 90% of the time.  Some holes like STA #13 or #14 (old pins) short of hole mandate a flop. There are several other lies where you have to hit a flop but bottom line, practice CHIPPING and PITCHING if you want to sink more approaches.

Nobody can argue with your stats ... so I think its worth practicing these shots myself...

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:14 PM

yupps....I've recently experimented with the flops...punches...chips etc....and most of the time it works...just like real golf i suppose.

trial and error...and practise makes perfect.

ah well....that leaves me finding something else to *** about :)

tbe

• KingSallow
    38 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 4:44 PM

Hello,

yes i 100% agree with Jake, but Jake i think you have to say that chipping and pitching is the way to play it only for Champions who has much experience.

If you havent the skill it can be very frustrating because Missshots or bad distanced shots can cost you more than 1 shot.

Surely, only with chips and pitches who rolls out, you have the way bigger chance to hole it out.

For me, and i would call me a really good player, its at this point of my experience still better to have a very approved Flopshot system who gives you the highest percentage to get it dead to the hole with an tab in  and very low danger to rolling too long or stick in the fringe.

In my opinion its better to be very experienced in playing the flops and then begin with concentration on the Champions play with chips and pitches.

But thats only an opinion......works for me

;) surely i am increasing my skill on chip and pitch  in practice rounds :)

Cheers KingSallow

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 3:05 AM

KingSallow:

Hello,

yes i 100% agree with Jake, but Jake i think you have to say that chipping and pitching is the way to play it only for Champions who has much experience.

If you havent the skill it can be very frustrating because Missshots or bad distanced shots can cost you more than 1 shot.

Surely, only with chips and pitches who rolls out, you have the way bigger chance to hole it out.

For me, and i would call me a really good player, its at this point of my experience still better to have a very approved Flopshot system who gives you the highest percentage to get it dead to the hole with an tab in  and very low danger to rolling too long or stick in the fringe.

In my opinion its better to be very experienced in playing the flops and then begin with concentration on the Champions play with chips and pitches.

But thats only an opinion......works for me

;) surely i am increasing my skill on chip and pitch  in practice rounds :)

Cheers KingSallow

Your incorrect. It is for everyone and and the only way to get good is to practice it. The problem that most have is that it is tougher down the road when you are already at a higher tier. You wanna get good at chipping, flopping and pitching. Play Beth Page and Oakmont from the beginning as pro and tour pro, That is why you will see people with high scrambling percentages.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 8:47 AM

SGTBilko:

Your incorrect. It is for everyone and and the only way to get good is to practice it. The problem that most have is that it is tougher down the road when you are already at a higher tier. You wanna get good at chipping, flopping and pitching. Play Beth Page and Oakmont from the beginning as pro and tour pro, That is why you will see people with high scrambling percentages.

I think he was referring to Jake's initial comment in which he said he plays chips/pitches at a great distance from the pin and from virtually any lie - which is beyond most... anything over 25yds used to be a flop shot for me

• KingSallow
    38 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 9:26 AM

Yes it was an answer to Jake´s Posting

• PAGES
RSS