Help › Forums

Re: which putter to choose ?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 29 2014 3:25 PM (23 replies)
  • Gatorgolfer13
    3 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:37 AM

Chinajohn:

Be careful! Your "I miss the ding quite a lot" comment has, I think, mislead some folks here.

There are two main methods of putting here.

1. Aiming off - where you move the aim marker to allow for the slope of the green. For this putters with high forgiveness are great as it will often adjust when you accidentally miss the ding. The Nike and Odyssey putters work well in this category.

2. Miss ding putting - where you leave the aim marker where it is and deliberately click early or late to allow for the slope of the green. For this type of putting putters with low forgiveness are best as they won't compensate for your deliberate miss. Of these types the Taylormade Daytona (Rossa) is one of the most used (it's also very cheap and very old) the Ping redwoods also come recommended.

i'm brand new to the forums and found this description to be quite helpful. i just bought the L35 ghost spider and hate it (about 6-8 rounds so far). it supposedly has more forgiveness than the base level putter, but i find it less forgiving and much harder on the miss the ding putts of method 2. i'm missing many more short putts. i'm short by a few inches on on missed dings but otherwise, miss read putts on the ding go by the hole by a huge amount. very hard to judge the distance in general, for me.  btw how does balance matter since it's only really a mouse click, and you can't feel the balance. seems I've got a lot to learn.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 12:58 PM

Gatorgolfer13:
    how does balance matter

It matters a lot in a putter. Balance affects the putting arc when you swing it. Better balanced putters swing smoother and the putt tends to hold the line better on longer putts. This game does a pretty good job of replicating that with that balance attribute.

Picture a putter made out of balsa wood. To swing a putter like that you would have to have a death grip on it and you'd be putting with your arms or the ball will knock it out of the putting arc. Now picture a well balanced putter where all you have to do is hold on and it swings in a smooth arc, almost by itself. That's the difference balance makes.

Gatorgolfer13:
    i just bought the L35 ghost spider and hate it (about 6-8 rounds so far).

For starters, 6-8 rounds is not nearly enough to know a putter. WGT changes green speeds on top of the different ones you see during a week. To see the whole range of what to expect you really need to commit to learning whatever putter you choose and play many rounds over a period of time.

IDK about the lower level Ghosts but the 97 Ghost was a ding putter. Trying to putt by missing just didn't work well at all. I use the avatar move way to putt that you see in the Putting Tips under FAQs so dinging was never an issue and that made that putter great for me. 

BPB#2 is a big, flat green. Set up a stroke round for yourself and get to that green. The mulligan function will let you spend as much time as you want to figure your putter out. Use a scale or the movements-something easy for you to use. Try using the larger scales for some of the shorter putts. You'll find dinging much easier, just master the strength. I suspect within a ball or 2 you'd have it right.  :-)

• Gatorgolfer13
    3 Posts
    Fri, Mar 21 2014 2:50 PM

yankeejim,

like i said, i have a lot to learn. thank you very much for the tips.i did watch the basic lesson video, but  i'll spend some more time looking at the putting tips you mention. thanks again to you and all who post to help others.

• timmsue
    11 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 3:25 PM

ty for all the advice guys after upgrading to daytona putter  ( my budget  )  i am quiet happy .

look forward to asking for  advice at a later date and recommend to other forum users  to do the same  .

RSS