Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Fringe on Drive

Thu, Feb 6 2014 6:55 AM (6 replies)
  • 0000rb3
    269 Posts
    Tue, Feb 4 2014 6:00 PM

I have noticed that if I drive and hit fairway or green off tee then I get the fairway hit. If I drive and the ball stops on the fringe of the green, I do not, however, get fairway hit. I do not know why this would be...I would think that the fringe would still count as a hit fairway. 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Feb 5 2014 4:53 PM

hi

i think fringe is part of the green or rough but neither green or fairway.

-wgticon

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 1:18 AM

WGTicon:

hi

i think fringe is part of the green or rough but neither green or fairway.

-wgticon

Huh?

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 1:51 AM

The fringe doesn't count as a hit green or fairway....

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 1:57 AM

There is no definition of 'fairway' in the rules of golf. Fairway and fringe are both 'closely mown' areas 'through the green'. The stat is labelled Driving Accuracy, not Fairways Hit. Any drive onto a closely mown area, be it fairway, green, or fringe, is an accurate one and these should all be reflected positively in the stats, not negatively as fringe is.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 2:24 AM

fmagnets:
    'closely mown' areas

what are we refering to here?

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 6:55 AM

fmagnets:
    There is no definition of 'fairway' in the rules of golf. [...] The stat is labelled Driving Accuracy, not Fairways Hit.
    Any of these terms is defined at the discretion of the respective authority. WGT uses what we see, excluding fringes.

PGATour shows this for Driving Accuracy in their stats, below the tables:

The percentage of time a tee shot comes to rest in the fairway (regardless of club).
    This should exclude fringes and greens.

What do you think will be their definitions of Driving Distance and Longest Drive?

(Average) Driving Distance is not bound to fairway hits and not taken from all drives:

The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not.

nor is it Longest Drive:

For all drives measured with a laser, this is the longest drive for the entire year.

Me thinks it's void to dispute whether fringe should be included or not - it is at WGT's discretion, and it's but a number, calculated by a computer game!

RSS