Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 17th hole St Andrews

Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:27 AM (6 replies)
  • snowy64
    67 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 5:51 AM

Hi everyone

I personally think that WGT does a pretty good job and they have managed to capture St Andrews  spot on except for some of the distances you can hit, like 330yds with a three wood on the 5th. My point about the 17th is when you hit into the green and your ball goes over the road and hits the wall, you loose your ball so if you buy balls you have more expense. I think this is wrong. I have played St Andrews in real life several times and providing your ball does not bounce over the wall it stays in play infact I have seen players hit the wall ands bounce back on the green. Even in this years open one guy, I have forgotten his name was in the rough near the wall and he purposely hit his ball into the wall so it rebounded back onto the green but why can't we on WGT do the same.

snowy64

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:01 AM

Coming from someone who has hit a Strong 3 Wood 365yds in real life, all you need is the right wind, the right launch angle, the right ball spin and the right landing spot to bomb any club.  But I will 2nd your notion about the wall next to the green.  It should reflect shots, not make them dissapear. 

And it was Jiminez who hit that shot.

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:04 AM

"Jimenez" Spains very own  ginger haired "mechanic"..

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:18 AM

but why is he called the "mechanic"

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:35 AM

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:49 AM

neil diamond 11790:

but why is he called the "mechanic"

He is a  car mechanic and owns lots of exotic cars, in his spare time he strips them down and rebuilds them again.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:27 AM

I think that WGT addressed the balls that disappear issue a while back.  I know that on #17 for example, you can be long of the green on the #18 tee and it is OB.  I believe that each hole has a defined amount of space, if you leave that area, you are OB, you won't be if you play there but it is a limitation of the game.

Regarding 330 yard three woods.  They are indeed realistic at St. Andrews.  My last trip there i routinely hit 3 irons that went as much as 310 to 325.  August that year brought hard fairways and rough that was light, except the grouse.  If you happen to hit on the down side of a mound you could count on 25 to 30 more yards, much like you get on a few holes on the front nine on WGT.

RSS