Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Suggestions - pro shop/gear

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 25 2010 12:52 AM (3 replies)
  • midwesternranger
    15 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 6:14 PM

I hope these haven't been posted before (I couldn't find them anywhere) but I have a couple of suggestions.

I've been here a couple of days and have somehow made it to pro already and I'm thinking about upgrading some gear to help me out. Problem is that it's very hard to know what will help the most (or be the most cost effective).

What I would like to be able to do is see a "score" for my current set up such as is given to any individual club (distance/spin/forgiveness etc) and then when I look at new gear in the club house I could see how it would affect my overall score.

For instance, I can't really control the ball with spin given my current setup, if I could see what different gear would do to my Spin score I could tell if I were better off buying new balls or new irons/wedges. Same goes for distance - am I better to spend 200 on a new driver for 10 extra yards or 65 on a sleeve of Tour SD balls or similar... I suppose this could be sorted out by having free use of different gear on a driving range as has been said before.

Secondly, it would be good to be able to filter or sort the gear in the pro shop so I don't have to look through pages of stuff that I'm not interested in or is in the wrong tier for me.

My other suggestion is that I would like to be able to compare the 52 degree wedges with my PW (it just says that I don't have a 52 degree wedge equipped), 54's with SW, etc.

I'll finish by saying that these are just suggestions and not complaints in any way - I'm enjoying the site lots and if nothing changes about it then I'll still be happy!

Cheers.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 10:47 PM

Hi midwesternranger

The score system would probably be a bit difficult to implement simply because better is a relative term on WGT.  Many players are successful in this game using a wide variety of club and ball combinations.  Some prefer slower meters versus faster ones while others prefer more forgiving clubs over precise clubs.  Each user may consider their setup to be the best for them.  Whether a player's driving factor is fun, competition or a combination of both may influence their decisions as well.

Better filtering in the Pro Shop is something we're looking at improving.  We've added a lot of new merchandise over the past year or so and the time has come to look at revamping the look of the Pro Shop (which has already begun with the category headers that were added recently).  I think you'll be seeing more changes there as we progress forward.

I do understand the want to compare wedges of different lofts and I will pass that suggestion along.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. =)

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 11:12 PM

I found buying the longest hitting driver you can (with a slow meter) and the steepest wedge was a good start, then just try to fill in the gaps when you can.

• midwesternranger
    15 Posts
    Sun, Jul 25 2010 12:52 AM

WGTniv:
    The score system would probably be a bit difficult to implement simply because better is a relative term on WGT.  Many players are successful in this game using a wide variety of club and ball combinations.  Some prefer slower meters versus faster ones while others prefer more forgiving clubs over precise clubs.

I understand what you mean here but rather than using it to say what is better I thought that there could be some objective scoring system to show how much effect a certain set up would have, i.e. how much total spin would you have if you combined a certain wedge with a certain ball. You'd still get to choose the set up that you preferred or that suited the way you wanted to play but as I mentioned above it would help those of us trying to make quantitative decisions.

There must be, for example, a certain combination of club and ball that gives you the furthest possible distance - this could be scored as 100% distance. Similarly the basic driver and basic ball seems like the shortest distance so this would be 0%. Ever other combination must equate to a number between these two...

RSS