Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putters

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:28 PM (8 replies)
  • KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:12 PM

I know what everyone thinks when they read the topic called "putters", and i know the typical response, "Putters are personal".  I would just like some sujestions on putters. Right now I have all the tour pro clubs but i  still have the starter putter. I was thinking the spider putter would be the best because it has the same meter speed as my current putter but the redwood and ping i have the same meter speed as the rest of my clubs.  What are your thoughts? Any suggestions would be appriciated.

King

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:17 PM

I would stay away from the Spider. If you like this game and plan on sticking around either the Redwood or the Daytona is a much better route. They're much more precise and if the meter speed equals the rest of your clubs then you may find it easier to be consistent. JMO

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:29 PM

is it worth it to rent both the redwood and daytona and try them?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 2:58 PM

The Redwood matches your clubs' meter speed while the Daytona is a little slower. Aside from that the only real differnce is in the scales. The Redwood has a 45 ft scale where the Daytona has a 60 instead. 

Given the convenient 45 scale and matching meter speed I would suggest renting the Redwood. One thing to keep in mind is that you are looking at putters that don't forgive as much as you're used to. Neither one of them is going to make you a great putter instantly and a lot of people that have tried them gave up too early because of the learning curve. The curve isn't that big but throw a faster meter and tighter forgiveness together and you can get frustrated real easy.

What I like about the Redwood is that it is very accurate when you use what WGTNiv laid out in the Putting Tips where you calculate the value for each putter move on the swing. Give it several rounds before you make up your mind and if you like it but want a slower meter you can always go to the Daytona. Either one is really going to help you. GL

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:05 PM

Dead on Jim

• TarheelsRule
    5,486 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:43 PM

Good points Jim.  I think the redwood is the one that wins out in the end.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 5:32 PM

Thanks Jim, looks like everyone said you nailed it so i'll follow your advice.  I'll rent the redwood to see if i like it. Oh.. and about the learning curve, I just switched all of my clubs so i'm aware of that and i realize my average will go up before it goes down.  Thanks to all who posted.

-King

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:12 AM

YankeeJim:

What I like about the Redwood is that it is very accurate when you use what WGTNiv laid out in the Putting Tips where you calculate the value for each putter move on the swing. Give it several rounds before you make up your mind and if you like it but want a slower meter you can always go to the Daytona. Either one is really going to help you. GL

The daytona is also accurate using Nivs tips I was an awful putter until I really read his tip s everyone should read it it helps greatly

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:28 PM

borntobesting:

YankeeJim:

The daytona is also accurate using Nivs tips I was an awful putter until I really read his tip s everyone should read it it helps greatly

Alright, maybe i will try them both, we'll see..

RSS