Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Ken Griffey Jr. Retires

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:09 AM (8 replies)
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 10:38 PM

The sad announcement came today just before Seattle's victory over Minnesota.

I know the baseball purists think Seattle is a joke. Ken Put the M's on the map, made Safeco field a reality, and was our first true superstar.

Ken had a class career, really was a great role model for our children.

I for one am really going to miss him.

Thanks Ken for the great memories!

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:58 PM

danohi50:

The sad announcement came today just before Seattle's victory over Minnesota.

I know the baseball purists think Seattle is a joke. Ken Put the M's on the map, made Safeco field a reality, and was our first true superstar.

Ken had a class career, really was a great role model for our children.

I for one am really going to miss him.

Thanks Ken for the great memories!

Highly touted as a rookie.. had some good moments.. but was lost to attrition. Much like most of us; mediocre.

His rookie card is worth like 2 dollars. lol. Nuff' Said.

Peace out Grffey J. He only made millions being a pretty boy. He probably had sex with your wife like Tiger did.

Where the hell are your values? What life did he save. Maybe if you have a heart attack they'll send Ken Griffey Jr. to save you! GL! LMAO

• kissfanpdx
    84 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 1:20 AM

The only time ive actually ever cried watching a sporting event was when Ken Griffey Jr slid into home plate off of edgar martinez's , what is now known in seattle as "the double" to beat the yankees for the third straight at the kingdome.  and claim the alcs. Ken Griffey injured his wrist and missed almost the entire season, but was healthy just in time for the playoffs.  What an incredible yr that was, the mariners came back from being 17 games behind the angles at one point, to finally tie and force one game playoff against the angles.   Anyone remember when ken griffey sr and jr hit home runs in the same game? How great is that.......great post danohi50.......

• youareintrouble
    103 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 1:34 AM

Oh man thats harsh but truth be said.   One does have too wonder ones morals thats looking up to a superstar that takes P.E.D.'s. But then again show me 1  league that really cares for the health and not the entertainment  of players and the fans.     Time too smell the Laundry?!

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 4:22 AM

Lots of great memories PDXfan..Hopefully some year, we will have another team like the 95 crew and the team in 2001 that tied the all time win record. We don't have too much to look back on, but what we do will be cherished.  I was lucky enough to be at that game where Sr. and Jr. got back to back yaks...way cool.

What is a P.E.D.? Ive never heard any evidence of illegal drug use

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 5:25 AM

kissfanpdx:
    Ken Griffey Jr slid into home plate off of edgar martinez's , what is now known in seattle as "the double" to beat the yankees for the third straight at the kingdome.  and claim the alcs.

Still sick about that, especially after going up 5-0 early in the game!! Edgar used to murder the Yankees but in Steinbrenner fashion they managed to grab Tino for a few good years. :-)

Griffey, IMO, always had an attitude like his stuff didn't stink and wearing baseball hats backwards became fashionable when he started it. It was like he had no respect for the game and was entitled.  Heh, oddly enough I kinda lean towards smason on this one.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 6:16 AM

You don't have to like his personality, but at least recognize the man's ability to play the game. 

Ken Griffey Jr. would have been one of the best to ever play the game had he stayed healthy....instead he is just a first ballot hall of famer.  Griffey is one of the few that hasn't been suspected of using performance enhancing drugs, always sold out on the field and  (which is why he had some of the injuries, and let's not forget his all century team nomination at the ripe old age of 29 .  There is only one player in the 500 homerun club with more gold gloves than Griffey and that is Willie Mays. 

Griffey finishes his career wth a .284/.370/.538 line, 630 homers and 1,836 RBI in 22 seasons. He ranks fifth all-time in homers, 14th in RBI and 12th in total bases. He went to 13 All-Star Games and won 10 Gold Glove awards. 

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 6:41 AM

jr. would of been one of the five greatest players without the injuries. having said that i believe he did it the "right" way, meaning his physical features never changed. that fact is jr. never worked out that much and was never in peak condition, which lead to injuries imo. great player, but always seemed above it all. he was the best defensive centerfielder of all time (yes willie mays fans) and made the all century team nuff said. loved when they stuck it to yanks sorry YJ. JB

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:09 AM

I live in a smallish town 90 miles north of Seattle.  Bellingham.  Beautiful, charming, on the water and the former home of the Mariner's lowest minor league affiliate.  I can remeber being at the ballpark for Griffey's first professional minor league at bat.  He was all of one day out of high school.

I think he was batting cleanup and was playing among older guys.  Poor kid, first inning, he struck out weakly on a curve ball.  Later in the game he allowed a "can of corn" flyball drop over his head in center field.  But my favorite memory was standing about six feet from him between innings just outside the dugout.  Griffey was being cocky and attempted to bounce a ball off the astroturf.  Except it was real grass and didn't bounce back up.  He meekly looked around to see if anyone was watching.  Yep, I was.

He did go on to have an excellent season that year and the rest, of course, is history.

RSS