Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Why do fringe shots default to a completely excessive further putter?

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 12 2010 2:58 PM (9 replies)
  • DoubleEagler
    14 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 5:09 PM

Screwed up a good game I had going. No bogeys at Bethpage 7th hole was in a bit of fringe not that far away. But forgot to check the putter range distance and I go to shoot and the damn thing defaulted to probably 150ft. If I'm less than 30ft away it should be giving me that putter. Like do i need a friggen 300ft putter because of a tad bit of fringe? WTF you guys, fix that snafu.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 5:23 PM

Hi DoubleEagler,

The auto-caddy will only make a putter suggestion when you are on the green, not when you are on the fringe or in the fairway.  You'll need to double check your lie and your max power before using the putter off of the green.

• DoubleEagler
    14 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 5:57 PM

ok I thought it was something that had to get fixed. It sure screws things up if you assume it'll just give you the putter its closest to.  

Another snafu I noticed was when teeing off, sometimes if you click just a little bit from the middle, once in a while it'll really go far off and has nothing to do with the wind. Sometimes does that too even if i you click in the middle. You know how things usually go and can tell something's fishy. Is this a programmed effect to give things random variation?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 8:05 PM

DoubleEagler:
    Is this a programmed effect to give things random variation?
    Yes.

Search "Beast" and "VEMmie" in the search box over there... hope you have some time for some reading...

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 10:10 PM

DoubleEagler:
    sometimes if you click just a little bit from the middle, once in a while it'll really go far off and has nothing to do with the wind. Sometimes does that too even if i you click in the middle.

You are experiencing the effects of low precision clubs.  The basic starter clubs that everyone is equipped with to start are low precision and moderate forgiveness.  The game defines precision as "generally how close to the aiming point the ball will land based on where you hit on the swing meter" and a result, the lowest rated clubs will not always start exactly on the intended line.  Higher precision clubs offer more consistency and will go where you want them to more often, but the trade-off for most high precision clubs is low forgiveness, so if you mishit the results can be less than stellar.

Hope that helps. =)

• DoubleEagler
    14 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 11:13 AM

What about when you get past -3 and the wind really starts to pick-up to 20 some. The game's out to get you if you start doing too good. You guys program that stuff in too, eh? haha

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 11:32 AM

DoubleEagler:
    What about when you get past -3 and the wind really starts to pick-up to 20 some. The game's out to get you if you start doing too good. You guys program that stuff in too, eh? haha

LOL-Out of the mouths of babes. A locked thread with a very interesting discussion, DE. Have a read.....

http://wgt.com/forums/t/8462.aspx?PageIndex=1

• DoubleEagler
    14 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:55 PM

Wondering about this, at the home page in the community spotlight was this guy:

awalsh80 pro 64.72

http://www.wgt.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=707511

I thought you turned master below 66? Ever see anybody with a score that low but still pro?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 2:25 PM

Now that is a very good question....  

WGT?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 2:58 PM

WGTniv:
    Your average score is a general identifier about which tier you will be in, but since we use a time-weighted average (most recent scores count more) to determine the tier it can become slightly skewed if his most recent scores are higher than his average.

In the case of that player, his most recent scores were higher than his general rolling average was, which means his promotion was slightly delayed.  There is something called "Rank Points" that factors into this equation as well that I can't really get into, but suffice it to say, the order in which you shoot your scores will be partially determinant on exactly where your promotion occurs.  For some players it can be more towards the lower end  of the window and for others it's more towards the higher end, it all depends on the order of scores.  It's a fairly complex system to be honest and it needed to be, but scoring average alone is not the only factor involved.

RSS