Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Since turning Master - a lighthearted critique

Fri, May 7 2010 9:29 AM (8 replies)
  • blackbeard
    288 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 2:20 PM

I am really only the Master of 1' 8" par putts, with nary a birdie being sunk

My occasional meter "blips" mean I am now becoming proficient at learning to take the 190/180/170 yd club from the 40% rough and am enjoying every minute of it (there's a hint of irony here folks)

Putts inside 12' that as a Pro were "gimmes" are now 1' 8" away - see above :)

Pinnngggg is a sound I have learnt to live without since I got my new Master drivers

Every, and I mean EVERY, uphill green has become a source of frustration. BPB 5,7,9, 15, 18 - you used to be my friends; what happened !!!

The Pro Shop is on my "To Do" list each day, in the forlorn hope that Merlin has invented a new elixir for frustrations. Guess the Bacardi bottle will now be my 15th club from hereon in.

RG's, which I used to enter for the thrill of it, are now a No Go Zone. The ethernet me now feels naked, exposed, and a little brittle - hugs needed haha

Play With A Group - joking,  right ? I would embarrass a Hack with my play and feel like an Anchorite at the moment. Ohmmmmm, Festivus, Ohmmmm, Festivus

.................On the other hand I am more determined than ever to play well, hit straight, and ensure that I waste as much time as possible on WTG - phew, at least some things never change.

Regale me with your transitional dilemmas - I cannot be the only one who is having to re-learn this wonderful, frustrating, joyous, snarky game.

BB

• roytoy2323
    47 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 4:04 PM

I'm right there with you. After moving up to master the game started to annoy me and I was even more determined to play well. The worst thing about the master clubs is when expect to miss that little white line right and you end up dinging it.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 12:55 AM

blackbeard:

Regale me with your transitional dilemmas - I cannot be the only one who is having to re-learn this wonderful, frustrating, joyous, snarky game.

BB

Ah yes, the Master tier. So much fun. Trying to scare fairways. Trying to get use to balls that no longer have a little run but always come up short but not short enough. And putting? And Putting? Being fitted for a straight jacket here.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 12:32 PM

LOL.  Good post.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 8:53 PM

haha... well put! Such fond memories of the master tier transition.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 9:58 AM

SweetiePie:
    And putting? And Putting? Being fitted for a straight jacket here.

Putting at this tier will be the death of me... it is the bane of my very existance!

I have never had such trouble before I got to Master.... but now I might as well start putting with the garden shovel... I couldn't get any worse!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2010 7:51 AM

Snaike:
    I have never had such trouble before I got to Master.... but now I might as well start putting with the garden shovel

Ah, you can do it Snaike, we all get in a putting slump. It comes with the game. Shore-up your putting weakness, and capitalize on your putting strengths.

• ProfessorJoe
    325 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2010 9:13 AM

I've been flirting with the Master tier for some time now before a bad round or two derails my efforts. A little frustrating. I've mentioned in many a round (via chat) that I can't wait to advance to Master. Now I see this thread and am ever grateful for that occasional 76 that keeps me from going bald or gray or both.  LOL

I've had the good fortune of playing matches against other masters and have become pretty familiar with the speed of the greens.  My advice to any surging pros would be to play ALL your practice rounds with very fast greens.  Hopefully I won't be on here singing my woes once I finally cross that mystical threshold.

Take heart fellow golfer/newly turned master and know that you are not alone.  =)

~ProJoe~

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2010 9:29 AM

ProfessorJoe:
    My advice to any surging pros would be to play ALL your practice rounds with very fast greens.

Wise advice indeed Joe. Once a player makes it to the Master tier, there's no turning back. If a player posts all their rounds, they'll advance through the tiers naturally, and will most likely have the experience to be a Master.

GL

RSS