rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:29 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:59 PM

OaktheToke:
    Never.  Let it go.

Come on Oak, you didn't have to put it like that. Since when does an organization not care about making money? They must care about TV coverage in some capacity or they wouldn't even worry about televising the Masters. It takes more then just membership fees to keep that operation running on a daily basis. The commercials the network airs for four minutes an hour during the Masters are the big investment firms, and are paying a hefty price to get air time, Augusta has to appreciate that revenue. You make it sound like they can do with out it, and any other revenue, How?

I don't understand how some think that the people of Augusta are some how impervious to money. I realize it's about a million dollars a year to be a member there, but one has to see that this economy is even hurting the members at Augusta. WGT's money spends too. I wouldn't count it out, but that's my opinion.

It may not happen this year, or even next year, but that's no reason to give-up.

Now I'll let it go Oak.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 4:39 PM

LOL Richard, I wasn't saying "let it go" to be mean, I was just trying to convey that it won't happen and not even worth the consideration.  You're certainly welcome to your opinion but I don't believe its remotely accurate.  I don't take pleasure in breaking it to you because I would like to play the course on WGT as well.  

When it comes to the boys at Augusta, they are the except to the rule.  They already intake enough capital to maintain the course in spades.  They would view putting the course's likeness on WGT as selling their soul.

The TV coverage they offer is extremely limited in scope.  They could offer more coverage as I know I missed a ton of good golf on both Thursday and Friday.  They could have went live from 9 am.  ESPN and CBS would have if Augusta National let them. 

In addition they offer limited commercial coverage, meaning they give up advertising income for showing more play.  They actually brag about it before each broadcast.  CBS would show more commercials if they could but Augusta won't let them.  This means they give up millions of dollars each year for less commercials.   Usually commercials take up about 20 minutes of an hour's worth of programming.  I didn't count, but it seemed like 10 minutes tops.

This also doesn't take into account the millions upon millions of dollars Augusta National turns down each year for other various things, like corporate banners during the tournament, having the course represented in advertisements, and merchandising outlets.   

Certain things just are what they are and the Masters is one of them.  Then again, that's kind of what make them special.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 5:07 PM

Ah, now I see Oak. It's bewildering to know that Augusta turns away that kind of money. No wonder Augusta is the cremedelacreme of golf. They sure didn't mind gouging the spectators a thousand dollars a day during the Masters though.

I didn't think you where being mean Oak, your too funny for that. I was being facetious.

Thanks for the discussion Oak.

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 4:44 AM
    Ok, as a private run and owned Golf Course, Augusta National and their executive board only care about one thing...... hosting their major tournament and raising sufficient funds from Advertising and TV Deals to make sure they can pay the winner his huge monetary sum.... ok huge to the average hard working human who can only dream of golf. But I do have an argument with some said on this post. First and foremost, if they ever signed a contract to allow their course to be digitally and virtually replicated for this game system they would have control. They would have control on how they want the course set up. They would have control on where the tees are set...... on how the rough should play...ect.... Total Control? When can you have total control on anything? Even with the Microsoft game the moment someone purchases said game it is out of their control. Alas I despair we will ever have Augusta National, but then again there are many much harder, better designed courses out there to challenge us. I mean the Masters normally posts an under par score. In fact the Masters is always the easiest of the four Majors. The hardest is always the US Open/ British Open depending on weather.... I mean when does the Masters have a winner over par? A blue moon is more common. (Statistically there should be a blue moon every year) So we should feel blessed we get the real hard courses to play instead of bemoaning the rich stuck up Georgian elitist club doesn't let us play.
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:29 PM

ChristopherRouss:
    Ok, as a private run and owned Golf Course, Augusta National and their executive board only care about one thing...... hosting their major tournament and raising sufficient funds from Advertising and TV Deals

I am sorry sir, but your first assumption was wrong.  Augusta National has proven that they do not care for Advertising or TV Deal revenue.  They certainly do not need it to pay for that 'huge monetary sum'.  Augusta National will continue to have "Total Control" over that course and we, as a WGT group, will never see it here.

The reason I wish to play Augusta is the same reason I wanted to play St. Andrews... history and tradition. 

And your "blue moon" assumption is wrong as well.  "Blue moons" happen every 2 - 3 years... From Texas Staute University comes this line...  "A Blue Moon occurs about seven times every 19 years under either definition, but not on the same dates."  7 times in 19 years, hardly counts as one per year, yes?

Please cite your source for your 'statistically speaking' fact.

Have a nice day.

• PAGES
RSS