Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting ball option

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:41 AM (4 replies)
  • hatch62
    57 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:23 AM

In the real game of golf you are allowed to change the ball when reaching the green to putt.  With all he high tech that is put into this game i think this could be done fairly easy.  a putting only button to select a different ball re: spin or distance.  There is a different feel in these balls when teeing off, hitting from the sand, fairway or rough.  so it only makes sense that when putting the feel is different also.   After the hole is completed the original ball that was selected to start the round would reappear on the tee as does the driver.  This is just an idea.  Thought i would share it with you.

Hatch62

• Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:37 AM

I'm probably wrong, as I usually am, but I thought that in the real game you could not change your ball for putting and then revert back to the original ball.

Mike3226

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:17 AM

usga rules state you are allowed to change balls only after completion of current hole and before teeing off at next hole.  you must finish the hole with the same ball you start with unless the ball has become unfit for play (like if its smiling at you) and only if you are allowed to mark your ball legally, as on the green.

thats my interpretation...i might be full of it!

d.

• hatch62
    57 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:37 AM

My interpertation of rule is that once you reach the green you are allowed to mark and replace the ball with or without the same ball.  Some golfer's replace the ball with a softer ball for more control.  I'm trying to find to USGA rule covering this once i do i will post it.   Thanks for your reply tho.

• hatch62
    57 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:41 AM

I stand corrected.  The USGA  rule is as follows.

b. Lifting Ball
    A ball on the putting green may be lifted and, if desired, cleaned. The position of the ball must be marked before it is lifted and the ball must be replaced (See Rule 20-1).

So my suggestion will not work under the rules of golf.

RSS