Help › Forums

Re: New clubs

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:00 AM (8 replies)
  • NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:12 AM

Hi there

So far I have found this game to be extremely good and very addictive. I started ou playing with some friends and I used the standard clubs.

1. Now I can't figure out if there's a difference between Starters and Beginners clubs.

Hope somebody can clarify that for me.

My friends and I were hacks and amateurs for a while. While an amateur I bought a Rapture 10.5 Driver and a Redwood putter. That was nice, because the Rapture driver gave me an advantage as my friends were playing with Starters/Beginners clubs.

However, suddenly I became a Pro, and I kinda feel that my advantage is gone, because of the tee change. Now I know I can just wait for my friends to become Pros too, but I have this feeling, that I should not have bought the 10.5 Rapture driver, but waited to get the Pro version?

Well - long story short: Here I am with my 10.5 Rapture driver, my Redwood putter and my Starters/Beginners clubs, and I would like to improve my game a bit with some new equipment.

Any advise for a new Pro? Thanks in advance.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:53 AM

The tier advancement adjustments will indeed take some time.

As for now, the only thing I can tell you is what almost every other member on the site will tell you. Replace that Hybrid with another wedge (I like to have even increments starting with my shortest iron to a 50 yard wedge. In my case that's 95, 75, and 50).

Also, buy another driver. Yes I know that sucks to hear but IT WILL help you to be more competitive on the Pro level. I won't recommend one because obviously every man has his price and playing style, but try to pick the one that gets the most bang for your buck.

Last and not least, be sure to post every round you play. Doing this will rank you up legitimately and make sure you are in the tier you need to be and not the one you want to be. Once you rank up you can't be demoted!

Hope I cleared things up for ya!

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:15 AM

Thx - Well yes and no ;-)

I still do not understand the difference between Starters and Beginners clubs. They somehow seem to have been changed and now I have 2 of each. Very annoying!

I understand the Driver change. I think I'll just change it to a Rapture Pro.

Also I think I understand tha You say I should loose the 3 Hybrid and buy another wedge. If I understand everything correctly my present wedges are 50, 70 and 90 respectively. Why would I need another? These are even increments, and I never had more than 3 wedges in my real lige bag.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:23 AM

WGT addressed the starters -vs- beginners on another thread, but were unsure if the exact details of them as they are so new. It sounded like the beginners came with more forgiveness and had built in tips and hints to help brand new players, and the starters were a small step up in skill and length, etc.

They were unsure how the progression went with them, but if you  have a mix of starters and beginners, that might be a clue!

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:50 AM

NikolajK:

Thx - Well yes and no ;-)

I still do not understand the difference between Starters and Beginners clubs. They somehow seem to have been changed and now I have 2 of each. Very annoying!

I understand the Driver change. I think I'll just change it to a Rapture Pro.

Also I think I understand tha You say I should loose the 3 Hybrid and buy another wedge. If I understand everything correctly my present wedges are 50, 70 and 90 respectively. Why would I need another? These are even increments, and I never had more than 3 wedges in my real lige bag.

The Rapture pro driver would be a great choice.When I first made pro I bought the pro Rapture driver and 3 wood the WGT pro hybrid and the spider putter. Since then I have lost the hybrid bought 3 Ping pro w wedges the pro rapture iron set and the Taylor made Daytona putter. The difference in the pro wedges versus the starter wedges is big. More distance more   precision and probably most importantly more spin. With the starter wedges even with full backspin the best you can hope for is that the shot slows down some and doesn't roll as far. With the pro level wedges with the increased spin they will stop and and add a spin ball and at times the ball will back up.I too only carry 3 wedges in real life, here especially at St.Andrews you need all the wedges you can get. I see that you have the redwood putter I hear it is a good one. I chose the Taylor Made Daytona because its meter speed was closest to my raptures. The only thing bad about the pro wedges is they have a fast meter speed but you get used to it.

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:07 PM

Thx again - I understand better now. I already have the Rapture Pro, and it's great :-)

I also understand about the wedges now. So if I understand everything, You now have:

1. Rapture Pro driver and Rapture Pro 3 wood

2. Rapture Pro iron set and

3. 3 Ping Pro wedges

Well that does in fact mean, that You have 4 wedges - and a full bag.

Thx again - You've been very helpful.

P.S. So what club do You use for a long shot out of the rough? I find the hybrid good for those, but maybe you never end up in the rough ;-)

P.P.S. One thing more - which are the Ping wedges You use?

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:25 PM

One of the wedges you currently have is included in your Iron set. Trust me you'll use a fourth wedge a ton more than a Hybrid, especially after club upgrades that hit the ball farther.

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:34 PM

Yes - I see the point, and I do trust You :-)

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:00 AM

@borntobesting

P.P.S. One thing more - which are the Ping wedges You use?

RSS