Help › Forums

Re: The i15 Master Irons

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 13 2010 8:55 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • rehill
    431 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:55 PM

Even if they are slightly better than the G10s, are they worth the money??

Thanks.

• sylverhare75
    44 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 7:34 PM

Ok.. fisrt off dont take what i say as the gospel truth... i am just a super-ultra-wizbang- master- hack that has no idea what he's talking about...

I have the I-15 driver , hybrid and iron set... so far i like them.. the fast meter seems to be ok being i have always used standard speed swing meters... it takes some getting used to... and yes.. when mis hit things can go bad in a hurry.. especially with the mid-iron (especially 7).. the driver is excellent.. even with slight miscues it does fair enough ( but back off on StA 1 with 16+ tail wind .. it WILL reach the water)...

the hybrid is another story... clean hits will give you what you put into it and go where it should.. and them some... in head winds it acts about the same as any into the wind..

the irons... are very long... alot more than i am used to... miscues with those can have bad results even more so when missing WITH the wind... the 7 iron.. some max back spin go full length.. some come up WAY short.. its just a gamble .. so be certain to not too mishit that one... i cannot remeber any shots that i used the 8 iron so it either works right or it was so bad i forgot it...

now for the bad news... the rough or sand... these clubs do NOT tolerate being mishit with a punch shot out of rough or sand... 160 yard club just slightly off in 20%thru 50% grass.. sand .. fescue.. will be short {at least in my games} longest i got may have been 85+/- yds... and its not uncommon for them to only go about 45+/- yds... and that is using a full power punch from regular old BPB rough{G10pro are at least 145yd of 160yd) ..most of the irons are like that... rough .. punch.. mishit.. do not mix well { i suggest water and ice tea powder for a better mix}...

... and in closing just keep in mind i am not an expert in club comparison nor in this game either (just look at my stats {embarassing})... tis only what i have seen with my time here using those clubs...

??Are they worth the price?? sure... will you buy them.. i dunno... thats your choice... am i dissapointed.. ABSOLUTELY not...am i crazy.. maybe...

so.. till next time.. cool runnings...

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 7:47 PM

OaktheToke:

SP, ncviz, and the rest of people posting feedback, I asked this question in another thread but I wouldn't mind getting your thoughts as well.

So is the G10 meter with a starter ball the same speed as the i15 meter with a GI ball?

And if so than the i15 meter with a GI2 ball is the same as the G10 meter with a GI?  

Still the same bug with the 7 and/or 8 iron falling short when backspin is maxed?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Would say yes to the first question, and for the 2nd...

Haven't tried that, but that's because I believe some of the SD ball parameters, while not absolutely needed, help. So switching balls would be counter-productive at this time maybe.

So the one and only perspective I looked for is a comparison of gi-sd plus g10/i15 irons. Nothing to do with the price, just one vs the another, and it falls on its face, JMO. The gi2 balls could work, esp for someone who has been playing with them.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 8:44 PM

The meter speed is much more than slightly different but these clubs do have potential.  Have paired them with the GI2S balls to slow meter down but still prefer the G10 GI SD combo because you can pull off more shots by changing between TS and BS for in between shots where the GI2S ball lacks the same ability to differ shot by as much as 10 yards in spectrum between full TS and full BS.

The higher ball flight is very nice for hard to hold holes like Kia 4,5 and 9 or BP 5 and 15.  I'm going to keep these clubs in the closet for a while and dust them off when the GI2 SD ball is released.  Precision does seem much better with the i15 and didn't see nearly as many deviations on dinged shots.  My problem was actually dinging the shots with faster meter.  With a smooth meter playing g10 and GI SD I can regularly ding 8 of 10 shots where I was lucky to ding 3 of 10 with i15s in the 2 days I played them.

Other drawback to i15s is you have different meter speed for wedges.  I prefer meter speed to be the same for ALL clubs except putter.  I found my rhythm somewhat disturbed when meter speed was different on every other shot.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 8:55 PM

ncviz:
    OaktheToke:
    And if so than the i15 meter with a GI2 ball is the same as the G10 meter with a GI?
    Haven't tried that, but that's because I believe some of the SD ball parameters, while not absolutely needed, help. So switching balls would be counter-productive at this time maybe.

I agree that its counter productive.  I'll spend 2k in credits and either lose spin or distance if I play with a current GI2.

Its more for if they introduce a GI2-SD.  As long as I see the cost increase of continually playing with the new balls, which I'm guessing somewhere around 25%-30%, as being acceptable than I might just leap off the plank and equip myself with the irons and fairwaywoods.

My only other major concern is losing meter similarity on my wedges and putter.  The speed is mostly unison amongst my clubs right now.

This is all speculative at this point, but if they were to introduce the ball overnight, I may be compelled to buy everything as long as I'm keeping the same top meter speed as I have now.

EDIT - Jake you just echoed some of my thoughts while I was typing the message. 

• PAGES
RSS