rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:22 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • rehill
    431 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 10:50 AM

Snaike:

hahaha... good news and bad.

My handicap?  My swing.  Actually never took the time to try to figure it out....

Breaking 90 is a tremendous day for me.  Shot an 84 once...  yea, I suck.  LOL!

The good news.. If I have a 'home course' its Harding Park, SF.

Harding Park... hm, I think I have played there before. I was pretty young, but I remember it being pretty nice. Do you play there often?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 2:23 PM

rehill:
    Harding Park... hm, I think I have played there before. I was pretty young, but I remember it being pretty nice. Do you play there often?

Well, when my father (70) plays.. or my son (11)... both of which have been playing for a year or less, we play the 9 hole Jack Fleming course (par 30) nestled smack in the middle of Harding.  It's maintained by the same crew on the same schedule with all the amenities of Harding... so it's fantastic.  One of the best Par 3 / Executive courses I have ever been on... (but then again, I'm biased.)

We are there a minimum of 3 times a month.... year round... matter of fact played this morning.  It's also nice that it's less than 10 mins away.

If you played it as a kid, you probably found a dog track.  From the late 70s to 2000 it was a punchline.  It wasn't until 2002 that the PGA came in and helped them completely restore it, lengthen it and make it one of the best muni's in the country, imho.  But then again, it's got some pretty impressive neighbors to contend with....  San Francisco CC, Lake Merced CC and the ever famous Olympic Club are all 5 minutes away from first tee to first tee.

From the article linked below is a great paragraph:

After several decades of neglect, Harding Park finally hit bottom in 1998 when it was used as a parking lot for the U.S. Open at neighboring Olympic Club.

Harding is where Johnny Miller cut his golf teeth, if you will.  USA Today article here.

Oh, and Faterson.. if you're looking at Orange County, I would suggest talking to SweetiePie. She's much closer to the OC then I am.

But, If I'm there in Europe and looking to move somewhere sunny and warm, I would think the south of France would be my first choice,...  maybe northern Spain...  Sunny California would have to be about 9th or 10th on the list.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 2:44 PM

Snaike:
    But, If I'm there in Europe and looking to move somewhere sunny and warm, I would think the south of France would be my first choice,...  maybe northern Spain...

The only thing there, is language barrier. (I've been learning French the last few years, but still can't speak.) Although I've never been to America, I graduated in English (and German) studies and am familiar with the culture. Plus, does the Riviera have as many golf courses as Orange County?  

Snaike:
    if you're looking at Orange County, I would suggest talking to SweetiePie. She's much closer to the OC then I am.

Really! I thought she lived in an upper-class mansion in New England.    "If a computer stops working, I just throw it away." Must have confused her with someone else.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 2:54 PM

Faterson:
    Really! I thought she lived in an upper-class mansion in New England.    "If a computer breaks down, I just throw it away." Must have confused her with someone else.

You must have... If I may quote her, and with appropriate apologies to her:

SweetiePie:
    I am a full time Law Student at USC with honors, am in a financial position much like the weather I enjoy...I don't worry about either.

SweetiePie:

Home course: Valencia CC, Valencia, California

SweetiePie:
    I don't know to whom you are referring to, but I play at 7 hdcp...and wager well there...just for a coke, of course. At Valencia CC, Valencia, CA.

Southern California girl through and through...  Of course, we may surmise and assume by her writings, her picture, and her golf game that she isn't the typical SoCal airhead that we've all come to associate with that genre...  and for that I, for one, am thankful.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:41 PM

Aargh, you see, Southern California is tricky... Just a few miles further inland, and the summers become unbearably hot. That might also apply to Santa Clarita. Orange County seems just right, not too hot and never too cold. They wouldn't have built the Pelican Hill course there otherwise, would they? But the real estate agents just never replied to my emails when I asked them what would be the monthly lease for that mobile home. Maybe US real estate agents routinely ignore sales inquiries from Europe, dunno. (Of course, when the day comes for me to seriously want to undertake something like this, I'll give those agents a phone call instead of just emailing them.)  

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 4:51 PM

Snaike:

rehill:

If you played it as a kid, you probably found a dog track.  From the late 70s to 2000 it was a punchline.  It wasn't until 2002 that the PGA came in and helped them completely restore it, lengthen it and make it one of the best muni's in the country, imho.  But then again, it's got some pretty impressive neighbors to contend with....  San Francisco CC, Lake Merced CC and the ever famous Olympic Club are all 5 minutes away from first tee to first tee.

Honestly, I don't remember much details about the course, but I was pretty young (under 10). I guess I just admired the surroundings and had fun. I looked up the course just after reading your post and it appears that they did some major remodeling-it looks great!

-------------------------------

As for my handicap, I shot a 73 today at Trysting Tree. Found a water hazard on number 10, otherwise a great day of golf. The weather was pretty poor, but collegiate golf is great so far. Anyone else play golf in college?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Apr 4 2010 9:14 AM

Faterson:
    Would you advise me to buy that property and move from Europe to California, Snaike?    The weather there is sure nicer than here!

When and if you do decide to winter in Southern California, I have your new Avatar ready for you Faterson.........dude.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:22 AM

andyson:

Faterson:
    Would you advise me to buy that property and move from Europe to California, Snaike?    The weather there is sure nicer than here!

When and if you do decide to winter in Southern California, I have your new Avatar ready for you Faterson.........dude.

lmao so cool Andyson 

• PAGES
RSS