Forums

Help › Forums

Re: why U are taking balls out

Sun, Mar 28 2010 2:02 PM (28 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 5:54 AM

OkieX:
    ..and boys from Oklahoma don't   roll their joints all wrong.

LOL-I guess way too skinny and too damned long is ok in OK!

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 10:26 AM

I was a little disgusted by the subject title, until I read the thread.  Lets keep our balls in.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 12:13 PM
    Okie X 7 rounds per ball? You must be one hell of a golfer. Per the article, 100 shots at 125 mph ball is garbage. That equals about 2 rounds. You may want to check your math. As for cost, WGT is charging what people are willing to pay. It's simple supply vs. demand. If you don't want to pay don't use them.
  • OkieX
    175 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 2:20 PM

"Ball cores are commonly designed to withstand at least 100 strikes at 125 miles per hour before cracking. That's seven rounds of Tiger-like drives."

Well considering not all shots are hard hitting drives and putts equal as many or more drives per hole,   then maybe a ball last 4 or 5 rds.  I think it's closer to 2 or 3.  But whatever.

And I understand WGT charging what they think they get.  But let's not mix the two arguments of free market and  realistic golf play.  

Because with the realistic golf play angle,  I have a bag full of scuffed WGT  golf balls for practice rds don't I?  Let me check.....nope, not a single one in there.   Uh?!   Well that's ok because I usually find a couple -a-three balls per round to put in the bag .....damn , got none of them either.  **There is a product suggestion, random chances of finding a partially used ball in the rough to make up for meter skips**

The better balls are a tad expensive. Heck,  just because I have old eyes and need red ones just to see it in flight it cost even more.  Why?  For one colored pixel!    ARGH.

But hey, I'm not complaining. Just arguing. Love the game.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 12:16 AM

The balls need to be replaced, eventually.I was skeptic also about the 3 round max durability.

Have you ever saw those high-speed video captures of golf balls drived at that speed? The turn into the shape of an egg... LITERALLY!

That tells us what kind of stress they live! The core can take it but the external surface is not that flexible and now I better understand why they crack so fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y57pw_iWlk&feature=related

This one is just unreal!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkB81u5IM3I&feature=related

Rob!

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 8:31 AM

OkieX:
    "Ball cores are commonly designed to withstand at least 100 strikes at 125 miles per hour before cracking. That's seven rounds of Tiger-like drives."

Well considering not all shots are hard hitting drives and putts equal as many or more drives per hole,   then maybe a ball last 4 or 5 rds.  I think it's closer to 2 or 3.  But whatever.

This argument relates to the ball core being able to withstand repeated force of strikes but doesn't account for ball surface which takes a beating much faster.

Pros typically take a ball out of play at least every 6 holes, not because of the core, but the surface.  I will usually bag my proV about every 12 holes, assuming it doesn't take a nature walk which it is certainly be known to do.  My swing speed is up there and comparable to the pros (accuracy not so much).  The grooves on my Ping S59 irons literally rip into the cover every shot.  I spend a bit of time on the putting green and tee trying to file down the frayed shards of the ball.  Surface condition is of utmost importance and perhaps equal to core condition.

Now all that said, I do think WGT could meet us halfway by not counting a putting stroke against ball life.  Putts do little if anything to damage a ball.  Other than that I have no issues with the durability factor WGT has in place.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 10:27 AM

jakestanfill7:

Now all that said, I do think WGT could meet us halfway by not counting a putting stroke against ball life.  Putts do little if anything to damage a ball.  Other than that I have no issues with the durability factor WGT has in place.

They don't... Ball_Durability_Limit

FAQ:

What is the ball durability limit?

Each ball can only be used for a limited number of shots. The number of hits will be tracked and displayed on the swing interface in the game under the HITS meter. This will give you an estimate of how many hits you have left with that ball. Putts are not counted as a hit to the ball.

Which is good, but It'd be nice if they were a bit more durable. 

Hey it is what it is, if you don't know going into it that the purchased balls are going to wear out, then you really need to do a little better research.  Between these forums and the FAQ's, just about any question you can come up with is answered.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 10:48 AM

Mem11:

jakestanfill7:

They don't... Ball_Durability_Limit

Poor assumption on my part.  Guess I should have read that before posting.  Thanks for the catch and correction Mem11.  I feel better now.  :-)

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 2:02 PM

Glad I could be of service... If anyone is allowed to make assumptions, that'd be you.  Your post are some of the most helpful, whether I learn something new or you reinforce what I think I've already figured out... ;)

RSS