Help › Forums

What's the next roadmap course for WGT?

Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:51 AM (48 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:56 AM

Snaike:
    There, FTFY.

Absloutely ROFLLMAO at that. The subtle wit kills me every time.

Snaike:
    Augusta National does not, and will not ever, license their course to be used thusly.

They sold a pretty good rendition of it to Microsoft. So good you could follow the actual game on TV as the holes were played and you played it yourself.

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:56 AM

I'll concur with the consensus on here; if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Pebble Beach for all the reasons listed above and a few others - almost every golf game has Pebble Beach; it's an iconic course in America, and perhaps the most well known; it's a fun course to play in real life; and lastly because it simply looks amazing. They might have to wait a week for the sun to come out in Monterey, but if you catch it on a nice day, it can be spectacular to look at.  And so far, I think only Kiawah is really visually stunning (for stroke play). The other two courses don't feature the ocean panoramas.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:11 AM
    YankeeJim:
    They opened it up for play to coincide with the actual Open, having their own Open here.

So your saying we could have the front 9 of pebble beach, perhaps buy the U.S. Open, June 14th, 2010? How cool would that be?

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 2:15 PM

YankeeJim:

happens St. Andrews will look like a ghost town, all that historical significance notwithstanding. There won't be 29s the first day there, I'll bet. Let the qualifying begin :-)

St Andrews is a better course than Pebble

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:02 PM

YankeeJim:
    Fast forward to this year's open at Pebble Beach which is in Monterey, CA which happens to be in WGT's back yard  (hey Alex, it's your turn on your lunch hour to run over to PB and grab a few HD pics!)  Kinda makes sense that PB would be the next course and if that happens St. Andrews will look like a ghost town, all that historical significance notwithstanding. There won't be 29s the first day there, I'll bet. Let the qualifying begin :-)

No, YJ... I'm closer.  I'll go down and take the pictures.  I know, I know... it's a terrible hassle but I'm willing to take one for the team.  Really.  As a matter of fact, I'll even pay for my own gas to get there...  Wow.. what a waste of a perfectly good weekend... errr.. weekday... err.. maybe 5 days.. I mean there's a lot of pics to be taken right?? 

Yea better make it a week... no no.. 10 days.  Wait, I got my boss on the phone, I can take a fortnight.  Yea.  And WGT, I'll do it for a sleeve of balls.  (Oh, and to see all the course, you're gonna have to spring for the tee-time and green's fees.)

Yea yea.. that's it.  I'm willing to take on this tedious project so you all can work on coloring the most expensive golf balls.

No, really.  I'll go if I really have to.

(And oppy.... sorry, amigo, but you can't be more wrong.  As much as St. Andy's holds a deep reverent respect from golfers around the world, Pebble Beach is far and away a better course.)

Have a nice day.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:08 PM

Snaike:

And oppy.... sorry, amigo, but you can't be more wrong.  As much as St. Andy's holds a deep reverent respect from golfers around the world, Pebble Beach is far and away a better course.

And in what respect is Pebble Beach a better course than St. Andrews, because I would be happy to explain to you why St. Andrews is better, but I would like to hear your explanation first.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:14 PM

BTW, if WGT was really looking for a course right in their backyard they would go to Harding Park Golf Course, which is only 25 minutes from Sansome Street, San Francisco. I am actually very surprised they haven't at least done a CTTH of this course yet. It is really fantastic, and it is a muni. So let this formal course suggestion be put on the record WGT.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:47 PM

oppy:
    BTW, if WGT was really looking for a course right in their backyard they would go to Harding Park Golf Course, which is only 25 minutes from Sansome Street, San Francisco.

Less, actually.  Depends on the day and the traffic around Lake Merced.

Harding Park is a good golf course...  best muni in and around the city, imho.  Fairly well kept up and can play really long from the tips.  But, having said that, it's still a muni and comes with all the inherent difficulties therein.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the place... but if WGT wants a local SF course there are 3 better less than 5 minutes from Harding's first tee.

1. Olympic Club
    2. San Francisco Golf Club
    3. Lake Merced Golf Club

Harding is a great course with, imho, one of the best finishing holes I've ever seen on a muni.  (Was #10 during the Prez Cup.  The one over the water.)

Just an FYI... According to the information posted at the clubhouse, Harding Parks non-resident fee will reach $150 this summer.  Residents of the 9 Bay Area Counties will pay $100, and SF Residents $50.  This is a significant hike in fees.  San Francisco is losing money on all city owned golf courses.

oppy:
    And in what respect is Pebble Beach a better course than St. Andrews,
    OK, fair enough.

1. Elevation changes.
    2. Slope 72.1 / 75.5  -- Rating 129 / 145
    3. Length
    4. Shot shaping necessity
    5. Trees
    6. Panoramic views of the Monterey Bay
    7. Variety of pin locations for tournaments
    8. No ridiculous 8' high walled bunkers - play forward

Etc etc etc etc.  but that's a good start.

It's like comparing the Ford Model T to the Ford GT.   The original holds a special place in our hearts, but technology and general knowledge have far and away outstripped the limits of the original. 

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:25 PM

Is ST Andrews going to be the only course outside the USA maybe they should change the games name its not going to be much of a world golf tour if its 99% based in the USA.

Dont get me wrong awesome courses in the USA but there also great in Ireland (Royal County Downs)Asia,Australia,New Zealand  etc

Its a bit like a world series where the host country is the only participant.

GG chip

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 6:57 AM

Quite frankly, I would be happy with any new courses. I'm thoroughly enjoying what we now have and any additional will be just fine. 

Now if they would like to add Ed "Porky" Oliver Golf Club to the mix, that would be kewl. Then I can practice my home course all year long  :-)

RSS