Forums

Help › Forums

WD in Ready-Go

Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:30 AM (34 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:52 AM

Lee you're the last guy that need's to explain anything. We all root for you to quit every time   ;-)

I resist the urge to WD a RTG only because the payout goes pretty far down the list and like jeffdos pointed out you can recoup at least something. Better than that is the thought, as I hack away, that everybody else might be having the same problem. 

On hooking up with a bad game (meter/deviation/whatever) I will save the game, exit out and start anew. Clearing the browser cache  on the way back in will help if I've played a bunch of rounds during the day. A lot of time this will settle things down to the point you can compete.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 8:12 AM

Bollox made a good point in terms of how he plays.

We all have our reasons to play the RG tournys.

Mine is to accumulate credits so I don't have to spend any money on balls, clubs, etc..

Finishing in first, as nice as that would be, is not my priority in playing the RG tournys.   My priority is to double my initial investment by putting up a specific score (give or take a couple of strokes).   As long as I pull down 200+ credits per RG, I don't care where I place, whether it's first or tenth place.

If I don't think I'll be able to meet my target score, I'll try to at least finish in the top 30 to get some of my credits back.   Even if that means swallowing a snowman on 17 and finishing with a pathetic 72 on Kiawah, like the other day.     :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 8:55 AM

Evidence always speaks volumes about the integrity of  ones basic character. Quitting at anything is the opposite of finishing what one starts and is always comfortably and conveniently rationalized by the quitter who is indulgent in self deception.

• dpckopy
    217 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:48 AM

When you get what you want in your struggle for self,
    And the world makes you king for a day,
    Just go to a mirror and look at yourself
    And see what the man has to say.

For it isn't your father or mother or wife
    Whom judgment on you must pass,
    The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
    Is the one staring back from the glass.

Some people might think you're a straight-shootin' chum
    And call you a wonderful guy,
    But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
    If you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the fellow to please, never mind all the rest,
    For he's with you clear to the end,
    And you've passed your most dangerous test
    If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathways of years,
    And get pats on the back as you pass,
    But your final reward will be heartache and tears,
    If you've cheated the man in the glass.

Written by Peter "Dale" Wimbrow Sr. in 1934

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:56 AM

Sweetie, we may have to change your screen name to PhilosopherPie.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 10:04 AM

Doublemochaman:
    PhilosopherPie.

Yes, PP for short

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 10:24 AM

SweetiePie:
    Evidence always speaks volumes about the integrity of  ones basic character.

Our souls may lose their peace and even disturb other people's, if we are always criticizing trivial actions - which often are not real defects at all, but we construe them wrongly through our ignorance of their motives. 
    Saint Teresa 

She's just sayin...

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 11:26 AM

NormH3:

Interesting. So to keep from "losing" you WD. I'm not saying that's wrong, just seems a little narcissistic too me.

So if you are in a regular stroke play with someone and they quit on you..that's ok? I'm just trying to understand when it's OK to quit during a round.

No I haven't kept myself from losing, I merely expedited it.

Sure, go ahead and quit on me in multiplayer.  99% of my rounds are with friends and if they feel like leaving for whatever reason that is fine with me.  Typically the reason is not because they are playing poorly.  If I joined a random group I may perhaps be peeved, but I quickly realized about 2 weeks after joining WGT that random groups are basically a waste of time and started befriending those whose company I enjoyed and playing with them.

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:47 PM

I'll just add that as someone who plays in basically every RG tourney (and only WD once), if you want to pay 100 credits to play and not have a chance to win, that's up to you. Disconnecting in MP is another issue that has been heavily discussed on the board.

Re: why you would quit - I personally couldn't care less what my scoring average is. I find if I play BPB my average is lower (it somehow doesn't account for the fact that Kia is a par 72 and BPB is par 70), but it can fluctuate 4-6 strokes. It doesn't matter.  When I play with others in the community in the ladder or the Guild matches those averages are really just suggestions.

But - playing with a ball that wears out after 36-45 holes, and when you are playing in every single RG, it is sometimes more efficient to donate the 100 credits, save the ball, and go play in another tourney. The people I've seen withdraw occasionally are also regular winners.

I look at it this way - if they grinded out a 33-34 or something, that might increase their average, but it would take away credits from someone else in the tourney that appreciates them. Those who WD don't need the credits - they've won a ton already. So it's essentially mutually beneficial. It's not the same as quitting in a group, ladder, or Guild match.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:16 PM

I really don't understand the comparisons in standards between video golf and real golf.  One is a classic pastime with a storied history and the other is a computerized representation of that pastime. In other words, one is real and one is not.  Why anyone should be expected to treat them as one-in-the-same is beyond me.

Expecting someone to treat a digital round of golf the same as they would treat a real round of golf would be like expecting a soldier who plays Call of Duty to observe actual military protocols and rules of engagement when he plays the game.  Or perhaps the gamer who plays that game must only drink from a canteen and should be required to play it for 5 years straight to simulate a 'real life' tour of duty.  Who goes on a 1-2 hour tour of duty in real life?  That's not realistic! 

Now this is starting to sound silly isn't it?  Yeah, it is, but let's go one step farther off the deep end and assume that how this soldier plays Call of Duty must be how he conducts himself in his real life missions.  Starting to get my drift?  I hope so. It's important to know when to draw the line.

Perspective guys.  I'm playing a game, what are you playing?

RSS