Forums

Help › Forums

WD in Ready-Go

Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:30 AM (34 replies)
    1,644 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 5:37 AM

BolloxInBruges:
    For me, I enjoy winning, I could give a rats ass about finishing 4th, 7th, 13th  w/e  in a RG. Therefore if my round is going so poorly that I can't win, guess what,  I sometimes quit.
     Agreed, my time is more of a premium these days (esp. when it comes to having it to play the game) If I'm in a round for credits, and I'm sucking a$$, getting huge deviations or bad meter issues, then I will ditch and donate my credits....

And trust me, I'll make them up somewhere else...

• dpckopy
    217 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 5:59 AM

I have to say, I do not understand this mentality of quitting ... that is not in the spirit of the game of golf.  Don't get me wrong I understand this is a fictitious game, but yet I try to carry the same set of morals everywhere I go, whether on the course or not.  When I play golf for real (was once a 2 handicap), the integrity upon which this game is built is too important for me not to respect what has come before me.  In carrying these principles to this game online, I see no difference.  Now if you want to quit or WD, then go ahead, perhaps the gods at WGT could have you quitting for a specific reason that happens in real golf, like a player getting hurt.  Maybe they should have your player get hurt and then you will have to take a week or two off.

All I ask is that you respect the game and the other players who do not quit.  I'll shoot that 74 for 18 holes or the 37 for 9 any day.  In the end I answer to me, because the man I look at in the mirror is the one that matters.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:08 AM

BolloxInBruges:

sorry, I should have quoted sweetiepie, my comment was in response to her.

Everyone has different motivations for playing and enjoy different aspects of the game.  For me, I enjoy winning, I could give a rats ass about finishing 4th, 7th, 13th  w/e  in a RG. Therefore if my round is going so poorly that I can't win, guess what,  I sometimes quit.

Interesting. So to keep from "losing" you WD. I'm not saying that's wrong, just seems a little narcissistic too me.

So if you are in a regular stroke play with someone and they quit on you..that's ok? I'm just trying to understand when it's OK to quit during a round.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:15 AM

NormH3:
    I'm just trying to understand when it's OK to quit during a round.

When the precious average is threatened............

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:21 AM

*sigh*

RG's are not free and cost 100cr to enter.

If a participant decides to withdraw or post a 100, it's their right to do so.   RG participants are under no obligation to finish or even to shoot well.   It's their credits, let them spend it whatever way they wish.   It's not going to affect your game or your performance in the RG.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:23 AM

I don't have a problem with people from withdrawing from ANY tournament. In the case of the Ready -Go's that just let's someone else  have the chance to win a couple credits.  You see some of those WD's, and you'd better figure that those might have the 2 or 3 rounds of 34 that just knocked your 35 out of the money.

Myself, I play it out ...but then, I'm looking at a balance  of around 1200-1300credits. When I enter a RG, I'm just hoping to hang in there and at least recoup part of my entry fee. Pissing away that 100 credits is a little bit harder for me than it is for the guys sitting on 20,000 credits.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:27 AM

And to add, I don't understand how people are even thinking about complaining about WD's from RG tournys.

You're basically facing less competition which will increase your chances of not only winning credits, but winning more of them.   People should be thrilled (especially mid and lower level players) when others WD.

People need to focus on their own game and not other people's average (which mean absolutely nothing in the WGT world).

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:42 AM

i don't give a rat's *** about my average as a master its just a number, it means nothing it doesn't help me win games or play better. as for withdrawing from ready go or any other comp. so what its only a game its not a criminal offence. i've quit a few times for different reasons bad lag, lost connection, had a friend invite and i think i quit once because the wife wanted the laptop and i couldn't be bothered to save it and i was playing well too. its a dollar wow i won't lose any sleep over withdrawing from a comp or have night sweats over my average creeping up. lets just all remember its a game

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:06 AM

Well, maybe a WD button needs to be added to regular stroke play rounds. Then anyone who wishes to quit because of bad play can WD without fear of being labeled a quitter. I'm sorry, I just don't see the difference.

Please don't misunderstand, I am not condoning quitting, unless there is a good reason. I'm just trying to understand the mentality.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:33 AM

NormH3:
    I'm just trying to understand the mentality.
     Personally,  time and frustration level are the key factors to my decision.  If I'm at a point during the round where I'm playing bad, or have been dealt more than my share of wtf moments (read: deviations or meter glitches) I find it better for me to drop it, go get a drink, cool off, re-group and try again.  90% of the time I will shoot better in the next round.  Or if I know I only have a certain amount of (personal) time to play I can usually maximize my take by dropping a so-so round and trying one more time in different conditions.

There are also other times, when things aren't going my way, I'll just monkey around for the rest of the round practicing different shots, usually taking the maximum on each of the rest of the holes.  And no... with the exception of 1 round (a 98) I will not post that score, so not to be accused of 'falsely inflating my average'.

*edit*  please note that this does not represent my mentality when playing with others in a round.  I will always finish, there was a time in the past when I'd play to the last hole and drop, but not any more.  As for people disconnecting on me, I don't care one way or the other, it actually has benefited me (see monkey point above)

*edit #2* other times I'll just go hunting (see here).... haven't found him yet...

RSS