Forums

Help › Forums

Shot timer poll

Sun, May 2 2010 1:00 PM (80 replies)
  • Dbgchef
    4 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 10:47 AM

I like the incremental timing idea. Personally 60 is more than enough, but an option would be nice.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:09 PM

I'm all for a reduction in the timer length.

I'd like to see some of the other suggestions researched, and don't have enough info collected to know what would work best and still be fair to most, but the current settings drag the games out WAY too long.

• KatieJ
    43 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:15 PM

Maybe the person who creates the group could also select a timer of 60 or 90seconds, a pause feature would also be nice for one use per round,,for a potty trip

• kaleb2007
    28 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 1:02 PM

60 seconds

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 5:04 AM

KatieJ:
    Maybe the person who creates the group could also select a timer of 60 or 90seconds

Absolutely. That's how it works in TWO, and it's the ideal solution: obliging everyone, offending no one. (TWO also gives additional very useful options: 30 seconds and no timer.)

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 6:21 AM

PugsAce sez.....

"What's the rush?

I mean, c'mon... it's only a half-a-minute longer wait, at most!"  

No, pugs, it's not a half-minute longer, at most. If it was, I wouldn't have started this thread. The initial shot-timer is 90 seconds....then another 90 second clock begins. After the second time period expires (180 seconds total), the player receives a 1-stroke penalty, and then a third 90 second time period begins. I know this for a fact....a friend and I tried it last night. We intentionally let the shot clocks run out, and I got the penalty stroke. The 3rd 90 second shot-clock began immediately. Who knows how long it would have gone on?

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:21 AM

AtlantaCoaster sez.....

"Perfect World:  YES

WGT's CURRENT WORLD:  NO  - - Given the need to sometimes take multiple practice swings to smooth out a skipping meter or accommodate some other technological malfeasance or underperformance."

AtlantaCoaster...From every tee box, I always take two practice swings. This does two things for me....1. Most times, the practice swings help the meter smooth itself out. 2. The practice swings brings out a little arrow directly above the ding-point on the meter, which gives me a larger target to aim for. I also set my spin and adjust the cursor for my aim. Total time...20 seconds. Never had a complaint from anyone I've played with for taking too much time on the tee box, for preparing to take a precision wedge shot, or a difficult putt.

Golf always has been, and always will be, an imperfect game whether real or cyber. I'm just not willing to spend 2 hours to play nine holes, or 4 hours to play 18 holes (as I was told a while back, that time period is the norm, and that I was overly optimistic to expect a game to take any less time). I'm not willing to sit twiddling my thumbs while two players have a conversation when one of them should be preparing for their current shot. Or repair their plumbing. Or make a sandwich. Or walk the dog. Or.....

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:38 AM

JoelWhite! WARNING!! There are 231 words in your last post, 70 more words and you would have exceeded your 300 word limit and would have incurred a 1 stroke penalty!!

</kiddingaround>

OK, I'm serious now.

Joel, could you live with having the option to select the length of shot clock for every multi-player you host?  Knowing no solution is going to be perfect for everyone, isn't that a feasible option?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 8:24 AM

I suggest two shot clocks.  One for the round of golf, variable, but Faterson has to agree to play in a 60 second shot clock round every now and then.  And one for plumbing... 10 minutes max!

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 11:43 AM

Andyson asks....

"Joel, could you live with having the option to select the length of shot clock for every multi-player you host?  Knowing no solution is going to be perfect for everyone, isn't that a feasible option?"

Absolutely! I'd love a variable shot timer, set by the originator of the game. Someone suggested (in this thread) a 10, 30, 45, etc. shot clock to be set at the beginning of the game. However, that should be posted on the screen before we join the game, so each player will know what they are getting into beforehand. Is this in WGT's plans for the future? No one knows, apparently. Does WGT want to emulate TWO? In my opinion, doubtful. I think, as a compromise, we should have a 60 second shot clock, followed by a warning then a 30 second time period...after both are exceeded, a 1-stroke penalty is given and the next available player gets to hit. The penalized player waits to hit last. I don't know enough about computer programming to speak intelligently about such a change, but an easier fix, to me, would be the same shot clock for all.

As to your warning about exceeding my word limit....I'm afraid I'm catching the same virus that afflicts alot of posters on this forum....terminal verbosity :)

RSS