Forums

Help › Forums

Quitters

Tue, Jan 5 2010 8:45 AM (39 replies)
  • Spideronda
    6 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:59 PM
    >Did not mean to upset anyone, just do not like the fact that someone quits to save their ratings. It is just a game where we are supposed to be able to have fun and enjoy each others company. I will not be writing about quitters any more. Let them quit, it is their choice I guess, just feel like it is as if someone puts on a mask to hide the real you. Yes, I am new, and I love this game and the wonderful community I have found on here. Sorry if i upset anyone with the previous post, but I find it rude and disrespectful to quit just to save your points standing.
  • jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:15 PM

this is not the place air your petty problems with quitters and naming names will only land you in hot water. i see you have only been here 1 month, i'm afraid you have set yourself up for what is sure to be coming under this post. might want to delete this before it gets away from you. did you lose any credits to these quitters and liars? no find some friends you can play with or a game that would really matter if they quit like match play challenge, people don't quit those games.

• wallydawg68
    46 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:57 PM

I agree with jbenny. There was a reputation tracking feature implemented not too long ago, but had some bugs in it. If you really want to play with people who won't quit, here is a site to do that. You will play here, but hook up with players on that site. Good luck and Happy Hitting!

http://www.wgt.agls.org.uk/forums/main.php

P.S.   jbenny....Go Buckeyes....you rule!!!!

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2010 6:09 PM

When so many of the Ladder matches occur in Practice mode, what does it matter if you play there or here?  No one will quit on you here in a Practice mode game either!.  From what I can see from a great number of the members on the various Ladder sites, there aren't many ranked rounds getting recorded. How this has become some peoples idea of a model of "non-quitters" escapes me.  Have a look for yourself at the number of ranked rounds getting recorded by their members and the frequency(or lack thereof) they get registered.  Sounds to me like you trade in a quitting issue for a sandbagging one. Hardly even worth the trade-off.  No, the Ladder sites are fine if you want to just fool around in Practice mode most of the time.  You can do that anywhere, anytime, so why bother?

Take your time, find a small group of people you like to play with who have similar playing habits as you.  Then you'll not have to worry about the people who don't.   Pretty simple huh?

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2010 6:43 PM

tibbets:
    Have a look for yourself at the number of ranked rounds getting recorded by their members and the frequency(or lack thereof) they get registered.  Sounds to me like you trade in a quitting issue for a sandbagging one. Hardly even worth the trade-off.

I play on the site that wally mentioned and have yet to play a match in practice mode. Every ladder match I have participated in has been ranked and recorded (couple of great rounds played with wally aswell) Its a great place to meet good players who you get to know and from whom you can learn stuff. Can honestly say I've not had one person quit a game on me there and I think thats a pretty typical experience. I havnt seen you there tibbets - would be great if you registered and let us pick your brains out on the course.

• nearlyfreddie
    19 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2010 9:53 PM

to echo spacklero's comment - i played on the ladder site for 2-3 months and never had anyone quit, also never had round played in practice mode except for ryder cup matches where special conditions were required (tees, wind)

• wallydawg68
    46 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2010 7:23 AM

I also have only played in ranked mode with the exception of the 3 ladder where you setup for random 3. And even then i usually setup for 9 so in case it goest SD you don't have to keep resetting. My apologies, I actually played a gentleman last night in practice mode because we agreed on something a little different. Red tees, very high wind and we even played 18 on that. Very good game. Thanks J. And I never had anyone quit either. If someone disconnects within the first 2 holes, the have the obligation to restart match with you within 24 hrs or post loss. After 2 holes they must post loss to you and whoever else.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2010 7:30 AM

I have to say, in the (VERY) early days of me on WGTLS (when there was less than 200 members), I quit my first two matches. However, I still posted the losses, and everyone was alright with the whole thing. Bad was done, but good was done to reverse it.

Tibbets, I see that you have never (as far as I know) been a member of the 'ladders' site. I think you should give it a quick go (even if it is for a week) to see what you think of it. Many people would line up to play, and I bet you'd be able to get to No.1 in no time! You never know, you may even enjoy it...

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2010 7:51 AM

tibbets:
    so many of the Ladder matches occur in Practice mode

A small few do prefer to play in practice mode. They are in no way the majority however (A very vocal minority I suppose in a particular case) 

I would guess the MAJORITY of games are match play - which may explain why you seem to not see ranked rounds getting recorded.

Why are you stalking ladder participants anyway? (kidding!)

I stopped playing random multiplayer games a few months ago, started playing the ladders, and now the occasional MP Challenge. Honestly I can't even remember the last time I've had anyone quit a round on me.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2010 8:32 AM

Match Play was only instituted a short time ago, so not nearly as many matches have been played under that format as Stroke Play.  Looking at the matches played stats vs. the ranked round totals of the leaderboards, I stand by what I said.  Look at the numbers I mentioned of the leader of the Ladder 9....almost 200 matches played on the Ladder and about 200 ranked rounds.  Looking through the score history I'm not seeing many non-WGT tournament rounds recorded.   It's pretty clear that many of those Ladder matches were in Practice mode.  That's the #1 player.  Go down the list and you'll find similar results.

The last time I had any random player quit on me without warning must have been over 10 months ago.  It has always been a non-issue for me.  I could care less if someone quits or not though.  I play against the course, not the person I'm playing with, and the course doesn't leave.

RSS