Forums

Help › Forums

10 WGT Nightmares: A Pictorial Essay And Discussion (And An Occasional Tip) - Volume 1

Mon, Jan 4 2010 10:23 PM (6 replies)
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2009 12:25 PM

Happy New Year….

I have put together a Pictorial Discussion of some of our Nightmares from WGT.  I’ve been collecting these for a while and this posting is the result.

More accurately, these are the “lesser-heralded” situations that I find recurringly cropping up in my own rounds.  Certainly, there are certain “Legendary” WGT Trouble spots – The Green at Bethpage Black # 15 and the water at Kiawah # 17 both come immediately to mind.  These are trouble spots that are widely known and can affect every player every time they encounter them. 

As there are entire threads of discussion devoted to the “Legendaries”, I am leaving them out of THIS discussion.

These are the lesser – but common -  vexing trouble spots we have all come to know – and to deal with.  This list is NOT all-inclusive by any means but more of a selection of the ones that I deem to be common and insidious.  Some of them “look innocent” on the surface – but then as we play we learn that they are not.

This review includes a representative sample from all of our courses – both Stroke Play and Closest To The Hole.

1.  Bethpage Black # 13 – “Striped Crud” (Front of Green)

Did my ball land in Jell-O?  What is with the sickly soft bounce and then stop dead 1 foot beyond impact?  This was SUPPOSED to bounce and roll right up to the hole for an easy putt!  NO DICE.  When your ball hits this stuff, it is simply DEFLATING.  I would far rather have a Green In Regulation 25 feet past the hole than to suffer the humiliation of being stopped dead in this stuff.  MOST of us are playing a 3rd shot wedge or short iron into this green.  Get out your counter-intuition and REMOVE any notion of bounce and roll.  The hole is so close to the front of the green that there is simply no way to accomplish that.  In fact avoid the entire short front right side of this green – it is fraught with all kinds of danger from the sand to the heavier rough to yes – The Striped Crud. 

2.  Pinehurst No. 8 – Challenge # 8 – “The Invisible Line” (Green)

This green has an Invisible Line running the length of it.  As the player is hitting out of the sand and there is usually wind involved, contending with The Invisible Line is generally very much a guessing game.  Hit short of the green and forget it -   Stopped dead in the rough with a nice +20 Penalty added to your score.  BUT….impact the green and this is where it gets interesting.  The Invisible Line seems to be someplace between 12-15 feet from the fringe.  Hit short of the line and your ball stops dead on the green.  Probably 20-25 feet from the hole.  Hit just past The Invisible Line and guess what?  It is like a bounding ricochet where the ball bounces a few times and then rolls – and you are lucky if you do not roll to the Fringe beyond the hole.  I detect there is some break/slope at work here but as we don’t putt this green it is hard to really tell.  Anytime you are less than 15 feet – take it and go quietly.   I do.

3.  Kiawah # 16 – “The Neck” (Fairway – 2nd Shot)

Very often the 2nd shot on a Par 5 is merely covering distance.  It is somewhat non-descript and not particularly noteworthy.  This one is an exception.  Here it can make or break whether you Birdie or Bogey.  (NOTE:  MOST of us are not reaching the green in 2).  For most of us the second shot will be aimed and landing somewhere through the narrow “Neck” of the fairway where it jogs absurdly to the right before bending back to the left towards the green.  Needless to say it is surrounded by sand and rough hazards of varying severity.  Your Worst Enemy in deciding how to aim this challenging shot will be a Right-to-Left crosswind.  Do you hang the entire 2nd shot over that Right side deep fairway  trap and HOPE you carry the Rough at the end?  It CAN and DOES happen.  If successful you have a nice short wedge and are looking at a Birdie.  If unsuccessful you may well be “In The Long Weeds”.  Failing to compensate for the effect of wind could very well land your ball in the LEFT sand bunker.  Decisions Decisions – and this one often NOT an easy one.  On rare occasions (with a strong headwind) and depending where my Drive from the tee landed, I have actually laid up and sacrificed the extra yardage of trying to go “through the neck” for the safety of the fairway – thereby forcing a much longer approach shot into the green.

4.  Wolf Creek – Challenge # 3 – “Rollaway Anguish”  (Green approx. 12 feet short of the hole)

Another CTTH frustration.  How many times has this happened?  “My ball is flying RIGHT AT THE HOLE!  Even so… I notice no heartbeat.  Hmmm…”  And then you learn why.  Ball hits the green bounces and rolls up each tier including the final back shelf….ALMOST.  L   You see the ball roll to a stop 11-12 feet short of the hole and then The Unthinkable begins.  A backward trickle down the slope.  13 14 15 16 etc Feet.  I’ve had a number of frustrations with the ball within 12 feet but ending up 20-26 feet AWAY.  Wind can make getting within 10 feet here particularly tricky – and even if the catastrophe I described above transpires, you are STILL better off than “15 Feet from Hole” BUT off the back of the green in the ROUGH (+20 Penalty).

5.  Bethpage Black  # 11 – “Left Fairway Incursion Of Rough” (Drive)

How many of us have visited this unpleasant little spot where the Rough juts into and disrupts what we THINK should be Fairway?  This thing comes into play particularly if there is a Right-to-Left crosswind – but I have had it ensnare me with a slightly off-center Drive as well – a Drive that would be safe on most other holes.  You hit your drive and it is edging left and it looks OK until you get the camera view of the landing…and you end up in this nasty little surprise.  Due to the way a ROUGH lie complicates the approach (2nd) shot on this hole (which is in and of itself a daring feat of counter-intuition), ending up in this stuff can easily result in a Bogey.  Avoid this nasty business if at all possible.  (NOTE:  Very similar situation exists at Bethpage # 18 as well).

6.  Saint Andrews Old Course – Challenges 3 and 7 – “The Backstop” – (Front of Green)

This one requires 2 pictures to demonstrate.  Same Green used in several challenges – this danger most evident in # 3 and # 7.  Pictured above is THE RIGHT WAY of landing this shot.  “The Backstop” is circled.  Hit this thing with your shot and forget it.  Stops dead and rolls away into oblivion.  The final number almost does not matter it will ruin your round.  Carry over this thing every single time.  Gets VERY complicated sometimes due to wind and also the ever-present lightning quickness of the green.

Pictured below:  THE WRONG WAY of landing this shot – and the fate you will suffer.  NOTE that the entire white line on the green is ROLL not Bounce.

7.  Edgewood Tahoe – Challenge #5 – “Razor Thin Tolerance” (Green)

This looks innocent.  It isn’t.  The green is elevated.  Often you are contending with wind.  The green itself is particularly shallow from front to back – and you would think that the way it slopes uphill away would help.  Sometimes it does but not as often as I wish it did.  There seems to be a very narrow range of possible places to land the drive and hold the ball close to the hole.  Very often you will roll uphill past the hole and onto the back Fringe or worse yet the Rough.  Try getting tricky landing it short of the hole and you learn about the steep bank that fronts the green and you are stuck dead in the Rough there.  This hole looks a lot simpler than it is.

8.   Kiawah # 3 – “Schizoid Green” (Green 8-15 Foot putts)

“Short Par 4”.  “Easy Birdie”.  Yeah right.  I feel like the Palm Tree in the distance Mocks Me.  Yes – sometimes it IS a Birdie – but not nearly as often as it ought to be.  The culprit?  What is The Deal with the green?  8-15 foot putts are often confronted with a completely contradictory putting grid.  The breaks are NOT severe – and this is where it deceives us.  In most cases the dots on the grid are moving “just a little bit” – often, barely at all.  BUT they are moving in conflicting directions!  How can a 12 foot putt have so much “contradictory information” between the ball and the hole?  You aim your putt at the left edge of the cup and it misses a ball’s width to the right.  Aim at the right edge and it misses a ball’s width to the left.  Give up on the whole idea and putt it straight?  IT MISSES ANYWAY.  Egads.  (Oh – and OCCASIONALLY it goes in).

9.  Bali Hai – Challenge # 9 – “75% Too Much Green” (Green)

The entire right half/front portion of this green exists for only one reason.  It exists to accommodate the final resting place of a ball hit slightly short or left of the hole.  Similarly to Wolf Creek # 3 (discussed above) but even more potentially tragic is the way a ball will glance at the hole within 12-15 feet before turning left and heading back down the hill with a final result often 30-35 feet from the hole.  What a way to destroy a CTTH that had gone so well up to that point.

10.  Kiawah # 13 – “Debtor’s Prison For Greedy Souls”  (Back Left quadrant of Green)

You are salivating over the prospect of a potential Birdie after having hit a nice well-centered-drive.  Ostensibly, the second/approach shot here is not all that difficult – but be careful of how over-excited you become.  CONTROL the second shot.  Above all else, do NOT hit it long.  What happens if you do?  Particularly if you are BEHIND the hole and more than about 10 feet away, you will start to see the price you will pay for your greed.  Although this green overall is not necessarily flat and there CAN be some tricky putts, there will be a HEAVY DEBT to pay if you are in the back left quadrant.  This is due to a particularly large and nasty swale/hump that you will have to navigate with your putt.  Think in terms of aiming a 25 foot putt 8 feet wide/right  of the hole and PRAYING (if that is your thing – otherwise it is HOPING).  Players who have visited this spot have learned NOT to be greedy and end up in this particular debtor’s prison as payment for the greed.  The price you pay may well be a 3 putt Bogey.

BONUS for those who have read ALL THIS WAY - here is a # 11 :-) 

11.  Bethpage Black # 1 – “The Trees” (Right of Fairway / Rough) 

Subtitle:  Chapter 3 of “Learning Not To Be Stupid”

So you strayed way right on your Drive?  Guess what?  Forget the green.  Even if you LOOK LIKE you have a clear line through or over the branches, odds are you are in a 40-50% ROUGH Lie and you will never make it.  You will only inherit more misery and heartache.  Take a high lofted wedge and chip out (or PUNCH if so inclined) back out to the nearest available Fairway.  In most cases the Birdie you fantasized about back on the tee is GONE …but you can still save a Par.  Do this because TO DO THE OTHER – well, it will lead to a 5 or a 6 – and amongst some of us (not Me) a “Disconnect”.  NOTE – even if NOT in and amongst the trees, but if you landed in the Right Rough a similar logic usually applies – forget the Green with the 2nd shot and just get back in the Fairway.  Rare exceptions MIGHT work out if you are in  20-25% Rough and there appears to be a clear line / escape to the green – but if you take this risk, be prepared to take the lumps.  On rare occasions this could pay off.  For shorter Drivers, “Blind” second shots (i.e. you cannot see the green) off of a Fairway Lie usually work out fine if hit correctly.  Just because you can see the trees, you should be OK if in the Fairway to go for the green on the second shot -  you should learn to make the Blind shot.

Honorable Mention:  Edgewood Tahoe Challenge # 8 – Ski Slopes and Hotels

This one not part of the “official” list because it is not specifically related to Game Play - but I thought I would throw it in for pure aesthetic beauty – Isn’t it nice we can see the Ski Slopes and Hotels in this awesome view?

So that’s my list.  I may do a volume 2 of these at some point in the future – but for now – enjoy this one.

My thanks to all the great players I have met and also to the WGT staff for making these scenarios and challenges possible and engaging to play.

Additional Reading:  Chapters 1 and 2 of “Learning Not To Be Stupid” in THIS thread:  "For The Frustrated Player:  A Tale of A Hard-Fought Par At Bethpage" URL: http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/7352.aspx  

Best Regards For A Great 2010,   AtlantaCoaster  :-)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2009 12:48 PM

Hello AC,

Very good illustration. I've experienced everything you describe above. Thanks for identifying that annoying "crud". Everyone has been there a time or two.

A quick mention about your opening statement. I don't land in the water very often anymore at the par 3 17th at Kiawah. It took me about the first three times of landing in the water there to figure out I'm not going to make this a habit. I dialed in a distance, and now land either short of the flag, or every once in a while hit past the flag depending on the wind, but dry nonetheless.

I look forward to reading and observing volume 2 in the future.

Happy new year to you AC, and play well.  : )

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:09 PM
    Nice list:) have you seen #13 BP drive. if you are 1 ft off left u get into 40/50 and sometimes 50/60 rough!! nasty!!!
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:14 PM

An Honorable Mention should go out to the #7 green at Kiawah (along the same lines as #3 Kiawah)... there is that left turn (or is it right) that seems to happen JUST before the ball gets to the hole, and other times it does not.... many eagles turned to birdies and birdies to pars there lately.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:22 PM

Thanks for your replies...

You might find it interesting to take a look at my REPLAY that is called "Legendary Putt!".  I know that trouble well.

Iconian...

No joke - the drive on 13 can be tricky - the fairway bends slightly left just as I am trying NOT to tangle with The Tree on the right - and a R-to-L crosswind often risks pushing the ball into just what you are talking about.  I have actually taken a slight bit OFF my Drive on that hole in certain wind conditions.

Richard.... I agree with you about Kiawah 17 - it is NOT my personal Achilles Heel - it is often a Birdie.  The worst I usually find is a drive short/left where there is another one of those hogback humps to contend with on the putt.  On the rarest of occasions I have also found that front left trap.  Even so - my personal experiences aside, 17 seems to be the subject of much angst here in the Forums.  (Just pretend there is no water and you do fine LOL).

Thanks, AtlantaCoaster

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:24 PM

i know this has been brought up before, but the dreaded mulch on #7 kiawah. only been in it once, but was more than enough for me. after trying every possible type of shot to extract my ball, finally just blasted it way long, took my snowman and headed off to butcher #8

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2010 10:23 PM
    Ahhh now we are getting somewhere....LOL Thanks for this list, hilarious in a sad but true kind of way. Like the "invisible line" on the green entry.
RSS