Forums

Help › Forums

For The Frustrated Player: A Tale of A Hard-Fought Par At Bethpage (aka "Learning When Not To Be Stupid")

Fri, May 13 2011 5:05 AM (33 replies)
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 7:42 AM

Good Morning....

I just shot a round on Bethpage Black - and I finished it with a dead-even PAR at 70.  While this is not a particularly mind-blowing event - the route I had to take to this score was one filled with some valuable lessons (for me, and I hope others) so I thought I would share.

In short, I had to fight like hell to get it.  I will begin with the scorecard - and following I will share some "highlights" (and some lowlights LOL) regarding how this round progressed and what I learned.  I hope someone reading it may also learn something.

By viewing the scorecard you can see that the simple summary of saying this round was a PAR (i.e. sounds "boring", "by-the-book" or "Regulation") COMPLETELY BELIES THE FACT THAT it was a complete roller coaster.

So here is what happened to me....

Hole #1 - Birdie - off to a great and optimistic start!

Holes 2 and 3 - PAR on each.  Nothing reportable BUT still carrying forward at -1 from the first hole.  Onwards!

Hole 4 - Chapter 1 of "Learning Not To Be Stupid" -  Standing on the tee and there is a Left-to-Right 6 MPH crosswind.  Due to the left-side fairway bunker AND the bend in the fairway, this type of crosswind causes me to want to ever so slightly "hang the drive" out over the left side bunker knowing it will blow back and land in the fairway.  UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME - even though I aimed it as described, I messed up on the meter timing and struck the ball a good bit LEFT of the line.  So guess what?  IN THE BUNKER.  :-(    Landing the drive in this bunker means - for ME anyway, NO shot at the upper-tier of the fairway with my second.  To attempt this is to risk the all-too-familiar 2nd shot landing EITHER in the steeply-banked mid-fairway sand OR EVEN WORSE in the nastiness surrounding it (IN THE LONG WEEDS, 60-70% ROUGH etc).  No thank you.  I learned THIS PARTICULAR LESSON ABOUT HOW NOT TO BE STUPID LONG AGO.  So...I took a Sand Wedge for my second shot and popped it out to the very end of the lower fairway.  Laying 2 BUT I can still save a Par.  I have done this many times.  Unfortunately, the rest of the hole did not work out according to this plan and I wound up with a BOGEY 6.  NOT the result I had hoped for BUT "at least it was not a 7 or an 8".  Even finishing with a Bogey, My knowing "not to be stupid" worked out OK here.  (Things will not go so well on a later hole as you will read.)  OH - and now I am back to dead-even par for the round.

Hole 5 - Saved a PAR.  The usual "up-and-down" from the back ROUGH.  

Hole 6 - PAR.  Nothing reportable.  Still running at EVEN on the round.

Hole 7 - Chapter 2 of "Learning Not To Be Stupid" -  This is where catastrophe struck.  I am on the tee and I have a 9 MPH FULL TAILWIND.  From the back tees, this suggests a tantalizing possibility - If I dare to aim a bit RIGHT to save 40-50 yards on the hole - (I thought)  "My ball will CERTAINLY carry the sand and the rough.  The aiming cursor is entirely (though barely) into the fairway and AT WORST I might BOUNCE THROUGH the rough - but with this tailwind I should be able to do this!"  "No guts, No glory" I step up and hit my drive PERFECTLY - right on the line.  And then I heard The Sound.  That sickening leaf-rustling twig-snapping sound.  "IN THE LONG WEEDS" (60-70% Lie).  I had just made a catastrophic mistake in trying to be bold and save a few yards.  In the end, this experience ended up costing me a DOUBLE BOGEY 6 on the hole.  Egads.  Consider this lesson in how not to be stupid NOW LEARNED.  Until I change my gear again (not soon), I shall not be flirting with this again.  I walked off this green deflated and now at +2 on the round.

THIS ROUND IS NOT GOING SO WELL NOW....BUT AS ALWAYS I AM GOING TO STICK WITH IT BECAUSE THIS IS HOW I LEARN (I lied as I thought to myself).  LOL

Hole 8 - PAR.  No news.  Still at +2 for the round.

Hole 9 - Just when this set of 9 holes could not get any worse...guess what?  IT GOT WORSE.  BOGEY 5 due to a STUPID missed 7 foot par putt.  Maybe nerves, MAYBE indifference setting in due to what had happened on 4 and 7 ?  Who knows.

I SWALLOWED MY PRIDE AND WALKED OFF THE 9th AT +3 AND HEADED FOR THE BACK 9.

Hole 10 - PAR.  Standard textbook par.  Still at +3 for the round.

Holes 11, 12, and 13 - REDEMPTION:  The Birdie Streak - Suddenly, The Gods of Golf began to smile.  I BIRDIED ALL THREE OF THESE HOLES!   All of a sudden my +3 after the 10th Hole was back to an EVEN for the round.  Things are looking up.  FINALLY!  I felt really good at this point.

Here I have to make a comment.....Is it JUST ME?  Or when playing this stretch of holes - do others of you get a bit of a sickening feeling - specifically - I know I am doing OK right NOW...BUT...The 15th Hole looms, lying in wait like an Ogre.  The 15th Hole can ruin ANYTHING.  Does anyone else get this feeling when playing the holes right before it?  (But bury that thought for now...there is work to be done...on to 14).

Hole 14 - PAR.  Birdie streak is over.  Back to reality BUT EVEN on the round and I am HAPPY compared with where I was just 4 holes ago!

Hole 15 -  We know what this Hole is capable of.  I call it "The Destroyer of Rounds".  So here is what happens..... DRIVE into the center/left of the fairway.  2nd shot will be 199 yards to the extreme elevated green.  So I hit my second shot - and it lands in the rough at the front of the green.  3rd shot will be an 11 Yard Chip shot.  IF I CAN GET THIS REAL CLOSE I can save PAR - is what I was thinking.  So what happens?  I hit it short.  I left an 18 Foot Putt for Par.  An 18 footer is certainly makable on MOST greens...BUT THIS IS 15.  All bets are off - in fact the "smart money" knows that sinking an 18 footer is extremely difficult AT BEST here.  Guess what?  I sunk it.  Hitting it with the strength of a 23 foot putt AND aiming it 8 feet to the left worked out!  I guessed right!  Importantly - the hole did NOT destroy my round - not on this day.  I was perfectly happy to walk away from 15 with my entire round STILL at EVEN PAR.

*** Devil's Dare - Pick a spot - ANY spot - that is exactly 18 feet from the cup on 15 - and MAKE THE PUTT.  I dare you.  I am certain I would not be able to do it a second time at this stage in my own experience.  ***

Holes 16, 17 and 18 - PARs all around.

So I finished the round at DEAD EVEN PAR 70.   Considering where I had been AND WHAT I HAD LEARNED......I was happy to have it.  Perfectly happy.

MORAL OF THE STORY:  All Players - regardless of Level, experience, frustration etc - STICK WITH YOUR ROUNDS.  Work through the trouble.  Learn from it!  It makes you better at your game in the longer term by learning how to recover from these sorts of messes.  And above all - ENJOY YOURSELF.

I am sticking about 3 sentences about "Technology" right here at the end.  Yes - technological difficulties CAN impact all of us when we play.  For the record, I had TWO instances during this round - when I had to Save My Game, Close and Restart My Browser.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes not - but I have learned to manage this instead of getting angry about it.  Highly recommended.  (But technology is covered elsewhere in the Forums - just wanted to note it here in case anyone wanted to say "But MY GAME" won't stay connected etc etc.  It happened to me also - and it was not all that important in the big picture).

Best Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• johnnyb44
    1 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:48 AM
    i really like this game but i am getting very discuraged becuase of the way this game is playing ,,, some of the shots are just crazy i barley miss the line for a straight shot and for some reason the ball shoots way off to the side , or ill be in the rough or bunker and the shot says 15 yards ill messure out the shot for 15 yards or better and release but the shot only goes 3 or 4 yards .. this is making me kinda not want to play anymore because of the outragish shots that happen that shouldnt i feel in some way im being cheated by the computer for some reason...
  • duffer66
    700 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 11:44 AM
    Myself and another player were on BP front 9. He was giving me some tips to help better my play. I forget the number of the hole but it is a par 3 166yds down hill, there was a 2mph wind blowing left to right, i figurerd this won't affect my shot much but it blew my shot 15 yds right with a perfect hit on the meter, he then took his shot with the same result. I tend to think the wind had something to do with this, like, maybe there should have been a zero after the 2. We both made par so injury there. I find the wind in this game to very deceptive, sometimes it acts like it should and others it has little or no affect. That is my most frustration with the game but I'll keep plugging along. duff
  • GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 11:52 AM

Exactly right Atl.Coaster,I'm now enjoying the Ready-Go's and like we discussed before it doesn't pay to quit the round.I been grinding away and winding up with some decent finishes.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:14 PM

Technological Leveling???  Could it be?  I've noticed that when I've had some bad holes in a row then the good holes and birdies seem to come easier.  Inversely, when I'm sailing along under par, the game seems to rear its ugly head and help me hit some bad shots so my score reverts back to even par, or above.

Do you think the game has a "self-leveler"?

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:26 PM

I have noticed some oddities with the wind as well - but sometimes I am not sure whether to disbelieve it or MAYBE my shot was worse than I thought.

I had a shot very much like the one you are describing THIS MORNING (might have even been the round I described here) - It is Hole # 8.  There was a very small amount of crosswind YET I ended up 34 feet to the RIGHT.  (Saved par anyway).

I also feel like I OCCASIONALLY notice the opposite phenomenon.  "It is like the wind didn't matter."  There might be a 10 MPH Left-to-Right crosswind and so I aim LEFT of the hole accordingly.  I hit the ball ON THE LINE and it goes exactly where I AIMED it with no discernible effect from the wind.  I know I have seen this happen hitting off of the Fairway.  (If hitting off the Rough or other surface, it is more difficult to know as there is a certain degree of unpredictability that does seem to apply when hitting out of these other lies - but from Fairway - the wind is really the only variable other than if I miss the line).

Good comment. - AtlantaCoaster

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:27 PM

Yes DoubleMochaMan - It is nature's way of keeping everything in balance.  LOL

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 2:46 AM

Hi -

Nice post Coaster,

Yeh - its great to hang tough sometimes - amazing things can sometimes happen !!?? Chip ins, the odd eagle - you just never know.

I usually play 18 hole rounds - I find them more satisfying, also if you have a bad front 9, you still have time to rescue your round - which I have many times. Maybe not shooting great scores but when your maybe +4 at the turn and get it back to +1 theres a degree of satisfaction about that. 

Also its always a learning experience - even from the bad shots, so that maybe next time you wont make those same mistakes.

Just shot 66 in practice on BPB. Winds moderate, Greens fast, Pins Hard2  - so am getting there :-)

Maybe I'll get to master one day ??

Happy hitting

Cheers 

Doug

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:10 AM

Thanks dorkfeatures....

You bring up an interesting point - and it is something I am learning about my own game as well....

I tend to score more consistently in 18 Hole rounds.  I don't know why this is BUT the Ready-Go Tournaments have certainly brought this aspect of my own play into focus.

I seem to be much more likely to score a 66 in an 18 Hole round than I am to score a 33 in a 9.  Theoretically they should not differ - yet for me they seem to.

I think over the longer term I tend to "settle in for the long haul" and it tends to give me a bit more of a calm and relaxed round that scores lower.

This psychology will certainly be different depending on the player - some 9 Hole players find difficulty "holding it together" for a full 18 - they'll mess it up somewhere - and as such might tend to prefer and do better in the shorter formats - but not me.

Yes - sure you will make Master one day.  It eventually happened for me a couple of weeks ago.  Just keep working at it.

Best Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 4:38 AM

Hi Coaster,

Yeh I'm with you - I to tend to settle in for the long haul to, and score very consistently over 18 holes. Also you sometimes tend to get on a roll, all of a sudden out of nowhere you'll go Birdie, Birdie, Birdie - and set your round alight - then go quiet for a while etc etc. You cant do that on 9 holes.

On Kiawah for instance, I tend to try and settle in over the first 9 and try and get to the turn say 2 under or better, knowing that I can really set the back 9 alight - sometimes !! Just to play the back 9 on its own doesn't have the same challenge for me.

I have played the odd 9 holes, mainly in Matchplay, with friends - but I don't play well, and it seems to be over before its started. Actually I just won my first Matchplay tonight over a Master Tier player 2 and 1 :-) I think he might have been kind to me lol.

Golf is an 18 hole test of endurance - thats what I love about it. I seem to have developed a bit of staying power just trying to hold the round together over the 18 holes. It does require quite a degree of concentration - one slip and you bogey or worse, especially at BPB.

Nice chattin, Cya on the course

Merry Xmas and have a great New Year.

Cheers Doug

PS Just as a matter of interest what was your ranking approx, when you got to master tier? I'm currently at 67.84

RSS