Tue, Mar 19 2024 5:55 PM (27 replies)
  • tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2024 5:55 AM

Now you sound like a company shill  lmao

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2024 7:58 AM

Agree with you on this one.  I recently noticed that when putting downhill and going past the hole, my putt coming back is also downhill!  Thought I might of missed something so I started paying closer attention.  Just played Erin Hills and had that happen on at least six putts!  How can it be downhill from both directions?  But hey, we can now say tourney as opposed to tournament.  

I read a post a few months ago that said a lot of the original programmers are long gone now and the new programmers do not know how to work the code (guess it is old).  This may be why a lot of things do not get fixed.

• AlaskanDame
    18,970 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2024 8:48 AM

Squatch031:

I recently noticed that when putting downhill and going past the hole, my putt coming back is also downhill!  Thought I might of missed something so I started paying closer attention.  Just played Erin Hills and had that happen on at least six putts!  How can it be downhill from both directions?  

I suppose the hole could be in a trough.

Same as could be uphill both directions, if it’s a raised cup.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2024 9:20 AM

Squatch031:
    I read a post a few months ago that said a lot of the original programmers are long gone now and the new programmers do not know how to work the code (guess it is old).  This may be why a lot of things do not get fixed.

When i used to be a programmer we had a set of rules within our organisation that every programmer had to follow.  Our code was reviewed firstly by our team leaders, then by another team to make sure it was to the correct standard.  What this meant was that we could pick up anybody else's code and both understand and, most importantly, maintain it.  Unfortunately most companies don't work this way; it is easy to write code, it is very difficult to maintain it if someone else has written it and not to any standard.  The latter is how many companies work, and I'm sure WGT work like that too, hence why they can't fix bugs.

Even when I write programs just for myself I write to a certain standard and everything is documented (i.e. comments within the code), so that if I have to make any changes a few years down the line it's not difficult to see where.  Unfortunately that's a lost art.

• AlaskanDame
    18,970 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2024 11:25 AM

Since the last update:

My members are getting alot of “error code 1075” that is making them unable to play club tournaments.  Can’t even get a saved game after originally being booted.

UPDATE:  one member now reports that he thinks the problem is in the Steam version.  He was able to use Mac App entry and continue his game.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2024 4:41 PM

MioKontic:

When i used to be a programmer we had a set of rules within our organisation that every programmer had to follow.  Our code was reviewed firstly by our team leaders, then by another team to make sure it was to the correct standard.  What this meant was that we could pick up anybody's else's code and both understand and, most importantly, maintain it.  Unfortunately most companies don't work this way; it is easy to write code, it is very difficult to maintain it if someone else has written it and not to any standard.  The latter is how many companies work, and I'm sure WGT work like that too, hence why they can't fix bugs.

Even when I write programs just for myself I write to a certain standard and everything is documented (i.e. comments within the code), so that if I have to make any changes a few years down the line it's not difficult to see where.  Unfortunately that's a lost art.

That's exactly how I used to (I still do) work as well, Mio. Leaving tracks, records and comments on everything even if I work solo.

Actually, the same principle goes for my private life as well, making a note of all my crucial info in secret codes only my son and wife understand so that they won't go through such a hassle to take things over if something goes wrong with me.

I think it has more to do with one's mindset and sense of responsibility. Someone with proper work ethics would do this even if he/she's not obliged by a set of rules and/or standards.

It's not a lost art, Mio. Still many practise it, just that WGT isn't one of them apparently.

• CaptRon48
    184 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2024 6:42 PM

Pack your bags Simon and Mio! Head west young men!

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2024 6:48 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    It's not a lost art, Mio. Still many practise it, just that WGT isn't one of them apparently.

Agreed.

While I've never written computer code, I've written some syntax files (SPSS) or do files (Stata). First thing I was taught in writing those was to begin them with detailed comments to myself.

Even if I would be the only one accessing/useing the files, I was told I would want that information easily available because people forget stuff (i.e., what you did and why you made the decisions you made). 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2024 8:09 PM

"First thing I was taught in writing those was to begin them with detailed comments to myself."...

.A great strategy to follow during a honeymoon.....

ct

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2024 8:23 PM

Robert1893:
    Even if I would be the only one accessing/useing the files, I was told I would want that information easily available because people forget stuff (i.e., what you did and why you made the decisions you made). 

Exactly! Thank you!

RSS