Forums

Help › Forums

TaylorMade TP5 Balls (L92+)

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 6 2024 12:15 AM (3 replies)
  • Oliv8r
    31 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2024 8:06 AM

Hi there. After a sweet break of playing golf for around 6 years I´m back with fun aaand a question:

Just bought the TP5 L92 balls (used Callaway erc soft before). Before I spend hours of trying to figure out the differences - who of you can help me out with the updated calculation for them?

The approach ist totally different, it goes way further with uphill and is different with downhill as well. Until now I calculated:

for downhill:

x yards : 3 , then added a few yards and substracetd this from the distance.

for uphill:

it was more of less adding half of the uphill to the distance.

Spin also seems to have a different effect.

So this is my rather lazy question, just trying to use your wisdom for my game.

Thanks a lot to the great community!

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Mon, Feb 5 2024 11:29 AM

Oliv8r:
    Just bought the TP5 L92 balls (used Callaway erc soft before). Before I spend hours of trying to figure out the differences - who of you can help me out with the updated calculation for them?

I know this isn't the easy answer you were looking for, but there are no easy answers to your question.  The TP5 L92 ball has 5.0 distance and 5.0 spin.  It is an advanced ball meant for advanced players.  Much of its performance will depend on what spin you put on the ball and what club you're using. 

If you really want to stick with that ball, take the time to learn it.  Try different shots with different clubs and see what happens.  Do an initial mapping of your clubs with that ball by doing a practice round on Kiawah F9 hole #1 with different spins.  Then play some rounds and make adjustments based on what you observe your ball doing under different conditions.

There are no shortcuts.  Good luck 🍀

• BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Mon, Feb 5 2024 4:24 PM

So,Sam is 100% right about all the advice he gave. The only thing i could add is that those are high spin rate balls,and the amount of spin you put on the ball affects the distance immensely,both down wind and into it. Alot of mapping to do. Gl.

• Oliv8r
    31 Posts
    Tue, Feb 6 2024 12:15 AM

ok THANK YOU to both of you!!! By now I have had some time for gaining experience, and I have come to those conclusions as well. In the approach with longer distances 30% spin gives me the 2 yards that used to be 100% with the old balls. Short distances with e.g. pitching I found 80% are the old 100. So in general it gives me more options to add or reduce a few extra yards.

The down- and uphill calculation still confuses me, and I will check out Kiawah F9 hole #1 - thanks again for the hint!
    So l lets see if I finally fall in love with those balls, or if others may fit better to my game ;)
    Rock on ☯︎

RSS