Forums

Help › Forums

# 6 at Merion

Sun, Feb 4 2024 12:53 PM (6 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2024 11:18 AM

I realize that this might seem strange coming from a tour champion with almost 15 years of playing experience, But can anyone give me any advice on putting on #6 at Merion. I have never been a great putter but this hole kills almost every round, I played it 2 or 3 times last night in this weeks champion tourney and I never got past it. I had 3 4 and even 5 putts on it.

Joe

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2024 12:31 PM

borntobesting:
    can anyone give me any advice on putting on #6 at Merion

For back pin (which is the difficult one), leave your approach below the hole at all costs.  Even a 30-footer below the hole puts you in a better position and is more makeable than a putt from either side or above the hole.

Plan on making par at best on that hole.  Par there is like birdie anywhere else.  If you get lucky with a headwind, you can gamble a little and try to position yourself close enough to the pin for a 8-10 foot birdie putt, but otherwise it's not worth the risk IMHO.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2024 3:05 PM

borntobesting:

I realize that this might seem strange coming from a tour champion with almost 15 years of playing experience, But can anyone give me any advice on putting on #6 at Merion. I have never been a great putter but this hole kills almost every round, I played it 2 or 3 times last night in this weeks champion tourney and I never got past it. I had 3 4 and even 5 putts on it.

Joe

Feel your pain Joe... just had a 10 on that hole. Granted, I was playing with the rock but still. Even trying my layup routine and pitch to get close for par plan didn't work. Rock kept getting close and running back down. 14 greens bit me big time. 

LMAO

UPDATE: Switched to the WGT Utility ball that I had as a reward for something I played in and knocked off 12 strokes just like that. Even managed to birdie #6. Can't make this stuff up.

Gotta love this silly game

• mega1byte
    770 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2024 3:57 PM

Been there , know your pain.

I've been playing two ways depending on pin position.

If pin is in the back, I'll try to hit to below the hole and putt up to it.

If the pin is at the front I'll play also to the bottom of hole but wanting to be just on fringe or rough, Then I pitch up.

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2024 8:05 AM

SamSpayed:

borntobesting:
    can anyone give me any advice on putting on #6 at Merion

For back pin (which is the difficult one), leave your approach below the hole at all costs.

This!!!

However, the putt is unreadable or to be more precise the dots are whatever. So...go there on practice mode and place your ball below the pin around that area. Record your attempts and then you have to remember where you have placed your aimer when it went down. Forget the dots.

Just in case you go long, you can try something like this:

• NiksnR
    27 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2024 9:40 PM

Flashing putt there Yiannis , thumbs up!

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Sun, Feb 4 2024 12:53 PM

Out of curiosity, I played Merion front nine and am not sure why you are having such a hard time with the 6th hole  I easily parred, missing a birdie by only inches.  Are you sure it is the 6th hole and not the 5th?  I sometimes have trouble with this one.  Also understand the 6th could be difficult, depending on green speed and break, but that could be said of numerous holes.  Anyway, good luck.

RSS