Help › Forums

Meter speed question

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 6 2024 3:11 PM (25 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 2:45 AM

azdave:

My driver has a 4.5 rating and the ball has a 5.0 rating.  Is the act of driving the ball just an average of the ball and club?

So...the answer is definitely no.

I don't know if you watched my video, but based upon it, i followed this path:

My irons have a meter speed 4. So, i took the 5 meter ball and hit off the tee a 3 iron. Now...4+5 = 9/2 = 4.5

The number i had to come up with, should be the same when i used my driver (4.5) with titleist 87 (4.5).

Instead the discrepancy is enormous!!!!

42.5'' for the iron+ball combo (4.5)

53.73'' for the driver+ball combo (4.5)

Consequently, after that, we can safely say that the equipment affects definitely more the meter speed and not the ball. The average does not apply.

• Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 6:49 AM

Thank you Yannis for testing this meter speed question. I think it shows that the equipment stats that WGT provides are not always mathematically correct but it's probably not something that I would ever notice or that would make much of a difference in my game. It appears from your findings that if I am using a good quality club with a meter speed that I am comfortable with and with enough practice, I can probably effectively use any number of mismatched balls with little or no problem. For years, I thought that a very slow meter speed was best, but I have since figured out that my brain and finger work best at 4.0. Kudos

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 7:19 AM

Yiannis1970:

did you take your top golf glove off? that glove slows down the driver meter even more.

if you didn't that's where the discrepancy is. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 9:24 AM

Slimjim001:

Thank you Yannis for testing this meter speed question. I think it shows that the equipment stats that WGT provides are not always mathematically correct but it's probably not something that I would ever notice or that would make much of a difference in my game. It appears from your findings that if I am using a good quality club with a meter speed that I am comfortable with and with enough practice, I can probably effectively use any number of mismatched balls with little or no problem. For years, I thought that a very slow meter speed was best, but I have since figured out that my brain and finger work best at 4.0. Kudos

You are welcome my friend!!

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 9:31 AM

Mythanatos:

Yiannis1970:

did you take your top golf glove off? that glove slows down the driver meter even more.

if you didn't that's where the discrepancy is. 

You have a point here cause meanwhile i don't use any enhancements on my irons, i do on my driver. So, i apologize and i will come back with the same test as soon as i disable the enhancements on my driver.

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 10:04 AM

Yes, Mythanatos was correct, partially though. The difference is not enormous but unjustifiably substantial.

1. Driver (4.5) + Titleist 87 (4.5) = 46.55''

2. Iron (4) + Titleist ProV1xball level 93 (5 meter) = 42.25''

4.3'' of difference i would call it a substantial difference.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 12:34 PM

what does that come out to in normal speed? .25 secs difference?  you said .06% when i think you mean 6% in your tests. which makes more sense. 

What surprises me is the difference between the glove and no glove because i was expecting 8% effect. and instead it was 13.3%.

Combined with your test info this leads me to believe that it's not purely additive that they are weighing the driver with a heavier weighted multiplier for meter speed and the glove is calculated into that side and not added on to the end after the ball meter is added. It has to be before the ball. 

this is extrapolated from distance effects on balls from apparel.  with those numbers 80 would be 8.0% effect on distance 94 would be 9.4% etc etc. Those numbers have been tested and seem to be fairly consistent whether it's irons or driver. 

So i expected an 8% decrease in meter speed. and it was 13.3% effect. 

regardless of the exact details. the driver is certainly affected by meter speeds more than irons are. interesting. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 3:53 PM

From my test, at least to me, they are clear 3 things:

There's no consistency in the game.

There's no mathematical pattern between the meter speed of various balls.

And finally, that equipment affects more the meter speed than the balls. Surely is not an average between them. If i should have guessed, i would say around 60%-65% for the club and 40%-35% for the ball.

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2024 4:00 PM

Mythanatos:

what does that come out to in normal speed? .25 secs difference? 

I can't respond to that. It's quite impossible to run the test in normal speed and getting accurate results. That's why i run the test with maximum slow motion, in order to get almost exact numbers. How much this difference is translated in secs, i wouldn't know. That's why i used percentages.

you said .06% when i think you mean 6% in your tests. which makes more sense. 

You 've lost me here...can you elaborate a bit? .06% of what?

Perhaps you mean the x0.06 speed of the slow motion on the video?

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2024 6:36 AM

Yiannis1970:

You 've lost me here...can you elaborate a bit? .06% of what?

Perhaps you mean the x0.06 speed of the slow motion on the video?

yes i thought you said per cent at the end of that . i probably misheard it. My hearing is half shot. 

RSS