Forums

Help › Forums

If you were to buy one thing?

Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:22 AM (77 replies)
  • pillsy
    489 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2009 4:40 PM

I'm with tibbetts.  Particularly if you're from the mater tees.  if you don't have an upgraded driver, some holes you can't even reach the fairway from the tee.  i'm interested to see how an upgraded putter works (still trying to win the credits) but the R9 master driver at least puts me in position now to make birdie (with albeit a lesser putter) vs. scrambling to make par with a better putter.

• Oahu808
    1 Posts
    Fri, Dec 25 2009 2:26 AM

I think that this game is bunk.....They want you to spend money thatis the whole point. i have hit shots perfectly and because I was in a tournament it went way off... I refuse to spend money on a game that is un fair.....i play wit standard clubs........

• dofras
    4 Posts
    Fri, Dec 25 2009 3:03 AM
    I definately agree with buying the driver first. I made master with no other upgrade but the $1 driver, then upgraded other clubs but only to clubs that hit the ball the same approximate distances that i actually hit them, but thats just me. After that i would upgrade balls next so you can hold the greens sometimes. My next upgrade will be a putter, but my putting problems are more reading and the fact that my arthritic fingers and non-gaming abilities never stop the meter in the right place.
  • pillsy
    489 Posts
    Fri, Dec 25 2009 6:06 AM

Oahu808:

I think that this game is bunk.....They want you to spend money thatis the whole point. i have hit shots perfectly and because I was in a tournament it went way off... I refuse to spend money on a game that is un fair.....i play wit standard clubs........

no one is forcing you to do anything.  i made master without spending a dime or upgrading anything.  then i won enough credits to get the R9 driver.  and currently earning my way towards a new putter.  what's stopping you from doing the same???

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 25 2009 11:07 AM

pillsy:
     i made master without spending a dime or upgrading anything

Pillsy you are the man!!  There is a lot of conversation from many naysayers like Oahu about how you have to spend $ here to do anything. With the last upgrade it's even easier to accumulate enough credits for stuff, especially in the ready-go's and you're proof it can be done. I chose to invest a bit here but it was my choice-I didn't have to. You are the proof and I congratulate you for showing it can be done.

YJ

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 4:35 PM

GEES fellas set of pings and aputter $25 cheepest on the planet

if u cant afford that how do you afford the internet lol

thx chippy

• JerryGarcia14
    2 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 9:00 PM
    Oh yeah? thats good to know. Ive only been on WGT for about a week but, it is AWESOME. I am currently deployed and this game takes my mind off of home and passes the time. I have already dropped my avg. to an 83. But end result being, I LOVE THIS GAME.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 9:08 PM

Welcome to WGT Jerry and thanks for your service. Spending a few $ here is not a bad thing if you're ok with this being a work in progress. There are a few issues people like to complain about but for the most part it's pretty realistic and upgrading your clubs will make it even moreso.  Clubs you buy now will dramatically improve your game and are worth the investment if you plan on sticking around. Maybe some type of Armed Forces contingent could emerge once you get your buddies hooked! GL and stay safe.

YJ

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Tue, Dec 29 2009 3:28 PM

YankeeJim:

pillsy:
     i made master without spending a dime or upgrading anything

Pillsy you are the man!!  There is a lot of conversation from many naysayers like Oahu about how you have to spend $ here to do anything. With the last upgrade it's even easier to accumulate enough credits for stuff, especially in the ready-go's and you're proof it can be done. I chose to invest a bit here but it was my choice-I didn't have to. You are the proof and I congratulate you for showing it can be done.

YJ

wouldn't you know...same day i posted that i have yet to spend a dime, i ponied up some funds (in addition to 111 credits :woot: ) and got the redwood putter.  i love it...i thought "putting was putting" but having all the different meters to use is great.  i use the 150 scale a lot to minimize the backswing required.  and even if you don't "ding" the line each time, it still rolls straight (especially compared to the starter).  it took a while to get used to the scales, but once you get it, it's really nice. :bigok:

**edit** but i would still upgrade the driver 1st.  from the master tees, i estimate i'm about 3 shots better with the upgraded driver than putter.

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:29 PM

Faterson:

I believe the ideal first purchase would be the Spider putter. (The Redwood putter is a lot better, but it's only available for the Pro+ tier.)

The second thing to buy is a driver, and I would recommend the Rapture 10.5° driver. (Again, the Rapture Pro 9.5° driver is a lot better, but it's only available for the Pro+ tier.)

I'd also recommend using advanced ball types. The most expensive ball types are the most useful, naturally. I would recommend GI-SD balls or GI2-S balls. (The first of these is only available for the Pro+ tier.)

But, you can also advance to the Pro tier using the basic free equipment set. It will just be more difficult, and I'd say also less fun.

I did not buy anything until I advanced to the pro tier. Then I bought just what you suggested. We must have similar ideas, Spider Putter, Rapture Pro 9.5 driver and the rapture pro 3 wood a well, and sd balls for the added distance.

RSS