Forums

Help › Forums

If you were to buy one thing?

Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:22 AM (77 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:47 AM

Well, without you having any stats to back up your theory, I'm afraid it will stay just that: A theory.. Maybe one day you can test out your theory and find out the real truth.  Until then, when recommending things to new players, stick to the tried and true methods of what has worked for the majority of people rather than misguiding them with your theories about what could be better, or better yet defer your commenting to those with a bit more experience in the matter.  The fact that you would even debate this point with me, considering the differences in experience levels, understanding of the game,  and scoring prowess, indicates you don't really have a good grip on the situation at hand.   We're on equal footing here in the forum:  When it comes to understanding the game and the application of such, we are not....not by a mile.

To any and all new players reading this:  Take it from me, upgrade your driver first.

Good luck to all, over and out.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:09 AM

I have no theories to offer; that was AvatarLee's term.

I said it's definitely a better idea to upgrade your putter to the Spider rather than just upgrade to a $1 driver, and many players, regardless of their level of achievements/experience, confirm that this is true.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:11 AM

Nope, my stats are crap, considering I started from the back tees at Bethpage black with starter clubs.  There not great but their improving.  But also consider I have 1350 plus rounds also.  So the impact is smaller although one is playing a lot better.  However,  I do know what I'm talking about.

Tact gentlemen is result of etiquette.  Everyone has ability to convey his/her thoughts in a coherent manner.  We all get into this game, but to put down people in a way that is discourteous is not right.

I stand by what I said earlier, and I do agree with tibbets in this area, Driver first, then putter next.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:16 AM

Infinito3010:
    Driver first, then putter next.

I could agree with that if you said, High-quality driver first, then putter next.

Otherwise, the following is likely true: Putter first, and forget about the $1 driver.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:33 AM

Seeing as Faterson has quoted from my 'WGT myths' thread, I thought I might as well chip in.

As someone who is rubbish at this game, I'd say a good putter is important. I tend to 2-putt a lot at the moment, and my extra 10 yards off the tee are no help what so ever.

However, the only way to prove this is to test it; give someone the best driver and putter they could have (that they've never used) with starter balls, on the same course, and get them to test it out multiple times to see which helps more.

Now to find a volunteer... (I think everyone who has commented so far is ruled, including myself and my Tour Starter driver).

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:50 AM

I agree, a good quality driver like the Rapture V2 non-pro version.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:01 AM

Re-reading this thread made me look back at what I personally did for my first upgrade when I was a pro. As I recall it was a driver because it wasn't until I was putting for birdies instead of saving pars  that I realized the putter had to change. The driver was getting me to a place where putting became the next barrier to a good score-GIR.That's when I hooked up with the Anser and got to master.

I think the Tibster is the voice here and I agree.

YJ

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:04 AM

Note, as I said, driver first, putter next.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:04 AM

EllisSpice:
    However, the only way to prove this is to test it; give someone the best driver and putter they could have

Beware, that's not what I'm saying. I'd probably agree with Infinito that the Rapture driver, even the old version of it, might be more useful than the Spider putter. But, it's also more than twice as expensive as the Spider. Will folks be willing to spend $9 on their first ever upgrade on WGT.com? That's the question. If not, then I submit it makes more sense to upgrade to the Spider putter for $4 than just buy the $1 driver.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:14 AM

This is an interesting debate.  It would all depend on the player and what he/she wants to get out of the experience.  Most likely they will play for a period of time and come up with their own conclusions.  How much an individual whats to spend depends on ones goals. Either in tournament play or personal aspiration. 

Asking the question what should I buy first depends on one primary factor. The ability to purchase the clubs you want.

But if you read alot of the older posts in regards to club upgrades.  Alot suggest you stick with the starter clubs learn every aspect you can on both courses, which also improves diversity.  Once you have obtain a certain level you will automatically know how to proceed.

RSS