Forums

Help › Forums

Ball keeps rolling

Tue, Jan 2 2024 7:43 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Birdman19520
    43 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2023 5:57 AM

So I've been at this game now for 7 days and have advanced to the Pro. I'm doing pretty good hitting fairway and greens, however, I can't stop the ball near the hole..it just keeps rolling..usually well beyond the hole. I've moved the green dot down on the golf ball to get spin...yet the ball keeps rolling.I've tried  the Calloway and Bridgestone balls whose specs show 2 blips on the spin rating.  Btw..I am using starter irons.  Any advice?

• bossbird
    2,194 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2023 10:48 AM

Until you are at a level where irons will help with spin , you will need to hit the ball less far , in order to compensate for the roll . 

The whole game is set up , so you progress and get better with experiance , you buy better clubs as you learn and develop the skills , this way WGT makes money and and you Improve. You cannot realistically expect to become good after a week . 

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2023 2:56 PM

Free rentals through New Years Day. Grab some free clubs and see the difference.

Lose the hybrid and get 3 wedges. The 60y 75y & 90y Vokey

Irons: level 30 Callaway. They are not gr8, but will give you a taste of what's to come

Driver: level 29 Callaway. Once again, not worth buying, but fun as a free rental

3w: level 30 Taylormade. 

Putter: Max Control. Although this putter is not worth buying, the Max Control (Master+) is a gr8 putter that will last you until you can get the very best.

If you have time to play today or tomorrow, those clubs as free rentals will make it fun. 

Cheers, 

Brett

P.S. The ball you bought doesn't have much spin. For a cheap fantastic ball, try the level 33 Calaway @ 250 credits per sleeve.

• Birdman19520
    43 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2023 5:07 PM

Thanks for the advice.And Thanks for the tips on the free rentals. l'll definitely try those tomorrow 

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2024 6:30 AM

Birdman19520:

Thanks for the advice.

Your welcome.

I had forgotten about the Titleist equipment available to you. That is a much better choice. They didn't used to have that when I started playing. I am glad you found it. That should be pretty good equipment.

• CaptRon48
    184 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2024 7:11 AM

No matter what clubs your using including starters you need to "map" your clubs so you have better idea of their actual carry. I even map them from every degree of rough I can find.For a quick jump start on your short game do the same with the flop shot. You may not sink as many using flop versus pitchs but you will be consistently closer with flop because it has less run.And of course mapping required any time you change clubs or type of balls.

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2024 3:53 PM

CaptRon48:

No matter what clubs your using including starters you need to "map" your clubs so you have better idea of their actual carry. I even map them from every degree of rough I can find.For a quick jump start on your short game do the same with the flop shot. You may not sink as many using flop versus pitchs but you will be consistently closer with flop because it has less run.And of course mapping required any time you change clubs or type of balls.

You do need a decent idea of how far each iron goes, but I would never do a proper mapping until you get to your last or next to the last set of irons and ball.  #1) your distances will change with the upper level irons, so doing it early will only really waste ball hits  #2) the ball you end up choosing will also play a huge factor in distance/rollout.

As a L33 Pro, you will be advancing so quickly that soon you'll be changing clubs again.  Then you'll eventually want better balls to start unlocking the full potential of the better clubs.  No sense wasting the ball hits on a full and proper mapping at this point.  Just practice a lot with the clubs/ball you currently use and make some general mental notes of how far each iron goes, then you'll learn to start adjusting with different amounts of spin.  

• GreenLaser
    177 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2024 4:57 PM

I still haven't mapped mine.  I know it's a good idea, and I think I'm to the point that I'm going to have to do it to progress further, but it's possible to enjoy the game and do fairly well without mapping clubs early.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2024 7:50 PM

BlackBogey:
    You do need a decent idea of how far each iron goes, but I would never do a proper mapping until you get to your last or next to the last set of irons and ball.  #1) your distances will change with the upper level irons, so doing it early will only really waste ball hits  #2) the ball you end up choosing will also play a huge factor in distance/rollout.

+1

If a player is going to decide to map their clubs, this is excellent advice. But a player has to decide what they want out of the game. If it's just to have fun and not worry about being competitive, I don't see a real need to map. I never mapped any of my clubs. 

While I'll never be competitive in tournaments (and don't play in them anyway), I became a halfway decent player. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2024 9:59 PM

Robert1893:

I don't see a real need to map. I never mapped any of my clubs. 

+1 ...and ditto.

There is enough variation between holes and courses, (not to mention conditions) that mapping clubs and balls is somewhat useless. It will just cause you to think you know what you're doing when you don't. 😂

• PAGES
RSS