Help › Forums

ICONS EXPLAINED

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 1 2024 1:09 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2024 3:00 PM

Thanks @SamSpayed, I'll definitely google that Pebble # 5 one.  I do have issues with the grid/hole offsets (grid offset more so than hole offset), but am trying to figure out a system just through trial and error - PRACTICE. I try to make mental notes of whether I played it more or less than originally thought and then see what side it missed on.

Sometimes, it's good enough to estimate that I'm offset from the hole by 3 inches on the high side so I'll just subtract 3 inches from overall break.  But then again other times it just makes my miss 3 inches worse, LOL.  I guess that's where the vertical dots would help.

• SamSpayed
    4,904 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2024 7:52 PM

BlackBogey:
    Thanks @SamSpayed, I'll definitely google that Pebble # 5 one.

Jay, upon further investigation, I removed the reference to the fmagnets video from my post.  He actually doesn't use the vertical dots in his video.  He does his analysis of offset putts in a slightly different way.

Here's a link to his video if you're interested:  

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Thu, Jan 18 2024 11:54 AM

Thanks!  I'll definitely check that out.  

**edit - I've seen that one and have it bookmarked actually, but when he goes into the drawings it's always lost me.  I'll give it another chance and maybe something will click for me this time.  If not I'll just get some counter-clockwise spinning lessons from HP, LOL!

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Fri, Jan 19 2024 12:54 PM

Will be very interesting to see how the newly proposed grid lines will effect this very topic of Vertical Dot counting and how to deal with the grid/hole offset calculating!  (if they actually go through with it)

• SamSpayed
    4,904 Posts
    Sat, Jan 20 2024 10:09 AM

BlackBogey:

Will be very interesting to see how the newly proposed grid lines will effect this very topic of Vertical Dot counting and how to deal with the grid/hole offset calculating!  (if they actually go through with it)

WGT's proposal (aligning the putting grid lines squarely with the ball and the hole) would simplify things greatly.  It would completely eliminate any grid/hole offset calculations (or estimations) because the offset would always be zero.  The only thing you'd use the vertical dots for would be to calculate (or estimate) how much power to add or subtract from your putt based on how fast those vertical dots are moving.  

I hope they go through with it.  Not sure how much work is is for them, though.  

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Sat, Jan 20 2024 11:04 AM

SamSpayed:

BlackBogey:

WGT's proposal (aligning the putting grid lines squarely with the ball and the hole) would simplify things greatly.  It would completely eliminate any grid/hole offset calculations (or estimations) because the offset would always be zero.  The only thing you'd use the vertical dots for would be to calculate (or estimate) how much power to add or subtract from your putt based on how fast those vertical dots are moving.  

I hope they go through with it.  Not sure how much work is is for them, though.  

I certainly hope they go through with it also.  I never really figured out if those first pictures Champ posted were from a "beta version" they already have built behind closed doors, or just some photoshopped images of current version.

Either way, the overall response seemed pretty positive from the few who replied, so fingers crossed. 

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Mon, Jan 29 2024 7:14 AM

BlackBogey:
    I never really figured out if those first pictures Champ posted were from a "beta version" they already have built behind closed doors, or just some photoshopped images of current version.

Where was this posted?  I've not seen anything.

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Mon, Jan 29 2024 9:43 AM

SamSpayed:
    Jay, upon further investigation, I removed the reference to the fmagnets video from my post.  He actually doesn't use the vertical dots in his video.  He does his analysis of offset putts in a slightly different way.

It would be very interesting to see if the putt would have gone in on faster greens.  As we all know, Slow and Standard greens do straighten a putt up greatly.  Also, remember the Putter precision tests thread from 2013 which showed that even if you hit the same putt every time you will not necessarily get the same results; the deviation is greater than the width of a hole.  So, for the putt in the video, and taking into account it was Standard green speed, a ding'd putt could have still gone in even if there was a bit of break.  I don't know if you can take mulligans once a ball has been holed, but if you can it would have been interesting to see how many putts out of 10 would have gone in.

In the video, the grid from behind the player isn't the same as the grid from behind the hole, so it's very difficult to ascertain what the correct line would be based on just those two views.  I'm not saying Mag's analysis was wrong, but I feel it was more down to experience rather than just analysis of the limited amount of data, which is why people keep notes, either written down or logged somewhere in the brain.

• SamSpayed
    4,904 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2024 1:09 PM

MioKontic:

BlackBogey:
    I never really figured out if those first pictures Champ posted were from a "beta version" they already have built behind closed doors, or just some photoshopped images of current version.

Where was this posted?  I've not seen anything.

It was posted in Discord.  Here's a screenshot of Champ's post:

It wasn't a beta version... just a mock-up done by one of the developers.

• PAGES
RSS