Forums

Help › Forums

How does spin work?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 2 2023 2:36 PM (6 replies)
  • Adduck
    2 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 8:23 AM

Hello, I am new to game and I am curious what spin does in game, what happens when I put it on least or most? What does it do if ball has more spin in stats?

• AntonioBunkeras
    262 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 11:03 AM

It's the same principle as in the real game. Naturally, balls and clubs with more spin stats will produce more spin effect to your shot accordingly.

• Adduck
    2 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 1:01 PM

And what does spin do? I know it may sound stupid, but Ive never played golf before

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 1:35 PM

Adduck:

And what does spin do? I know it may sound stupid, but Ive never played golf before

Do you play billiards or table tennis or any sports where you apply spins (english) on the balls? It would be easier to make you understand.

In a nutshell, spins allow you to control the ball. You can either make it stay on the spot (or even roll back) or let it roll forward by adjusting the amount of backspin and topspin.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 2:57 PM

Adduck:

Hello, I am new to game and I am curious what spin does in game, what happens when I put it on least or most? What does it do if ball has more spin in stats?

Full backspin (i.e. placing the green dot at the bottom of the ball) will give your shot more height / higher apex and allow it to roll out less.  Full topspin (i.e. placing the green dot at the top of the ball) will give your shot less height and allow it to roll out more.

When your ball (or the club you're using) has a higher Spin rating, this effect will be magnified.

Hope this helps.

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 3:29 PM

SamSpayed:

Adduck:

Full backspin (i.e. placing the green dot at the bottom of the ball) will give your shot more height / higher apex and allow it to roll out less.  Full topspin (i.e. placing the green dot at the top of the ball) will give your shot less height and allow it to roll out more.

When your ball (or the club you're using) has a higher Spin rating, this effect will be magnified.

Hope this helps.

And to add to what Sam said, once you play a while and take note of the different courses, you'll find that although a shot with full topspin will generally roll out farther, there are certain spots (i.e. St Andrews) where your full topspin will hit directly into an upslope and kill it immediately.  Whereas some backspin would've created more "air time" and might carry to the other side of that upslope and shoot forward.  That's just part of the nuances of the game and can really only learned by experience. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Thu, Nov 2 2023 2:36 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

Adduck:

Do you play billiards or table tennis or any sports where you apply spins (english) on the balls? It would be easier to make you understand.

In a nutshell, spins allow you to control the ball. You can either make it stay on the spot (or even roll back) or let it roll forward by adjusting the amount of backspin and topspin.

Since I remember having seen this video sometime in the past, I was in search of and finally found it.

It's explained on the old (extinct) flash version, but the principles remain the same.

Enjoy it and good luck to you.

RSS