Help with driver and balls

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 15 2023 6:50 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MisteryShots
    8 Posts
    Mon, Sep 11 2023 7:26 PM

tomorrow i hit level 90 have 2 doubts

Driver: Taylormade 285 or callaway 282.... i dont mind meter speed a lot so taylormade seems better just want opinions

Balls: I go to buy level 81 taylormade 5 distance 4 spin... anyone use this ball and recomended to me? 

Any advice is welcome

for irons i buy taylor made 90.     

for 3 wood callaway level89

for wedges  titleistvokey 60-80-100

ty

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 12 2023 1:08 PM

MisteryShots:
    Balls: I go to buy level 81 taylormade 5 distance 4 spin... anyone use this ball and recomended to me? 

Yes, the L81 TM ball is an excellent ball for the price.  Buena suerte!

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Tue, Sep 12 2023 3:58 PM

I'd rather have the slower meter and extra forgiveness of the Callaway driver than the extra 3 yards of the TaylorMade, but you may be better at hitting the ding(or closer to it) than I am. The meter speed of the TaylorMade matches the meter speed of the L90 irons you're buying, and matching meter speeds helps some people.  It helps me.

I've been playing the L81 TaylorMade ball lately, and it's my favorite so far.  It's the most expensive ball I've played (except for one free MAX ball that WGT gave me for some reason.) I tend to favor balls that have a little more distance than spin, so what I've played quite a bit are the L61 TaylorMade (I need to go back to that one and compare it to the L81), L48 TaylorMade (I need to go back and compare that one, too),  L45 Callaway, L35 Callaway, L26 Volvik, L13 Srixon, and WGT Distance Slow Meter balls. I need to try the L34 Callaways which I've missed trying for some reason.

• MisteryShots
    8 Posts
    Tue, Sep 12 2023 6:24 PM

Hey ty 

i mapped wedges and 3wood with level 81 ball and distance is pretty same that mapped 48 ball. But for 100 credits more you have this extra spin and distance.

Agree irons and driver same meter so will buy level 85.

Tomorrow i hit 90 (5% of level left) will buy the irons and map them. 

see you!

• beerstine
    668 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2023 12:37 AM

You've got the best wedges available for your level.  The TMs at your level will perform well, but you may end up spending more on slower meter balls to hit accurately.  I had the L90 irons, great performance but you need really fast reflexes to handle the meter, same with the driver at that level. Anything with a meter of 4 or greater will be easier to master.  The best drivers start at L94-96 and irons at L97, not sure how long you can wait. 

While you're getting used to how your new clubs perform I'd get used to moderately priced balls like the Callaway L33 or TM L47-48 at lower cost before moving up to the 81.  Even the Srixons are good with slower meter clubs.   Don't try to break in an expensive ball until you're comfortable with your new gear.  High end irons spin more and affect approach distance more than starter gear.  You may find the less expensive balls work well enough for you.

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2023 5:41 AM

First, it's amazing to me (and quite an achievement) that you've managed to reach Legend tier with a 61.72 avg in less than 2 1/2 months since joining in July, and with only 153 ranked rounds (I'm assuming you must play a TON of coin games or win a lot of monthly/weekly tournaments?).  Then add in it's been with starter driver/irons/balls, it even more impressive.

Second, as said above by others, if you can handle the meter speeds of the L90s they are great clubs.  I've been using those same clubs for most of the last 6 months or so and could still be using them today if I really wanted to, but just in the last week or so have "upgraded" to L96 driver and L97 irons.  (The only reason I did so now was the meter speeds, but since getting them I do tend to think the forgiveness/precision is way better than the stats suggest when compared to the L90s).

Third, for balls I'd also do as suggested and start out with "mid-range" ball (L33-L61) for a while and tune in on the specs you like best distance/spin wise.  You may find one with more distance than spin meshes with the new clubs better, or it could be the other way around for you.  If you've been playing primarily with the starter rock, you'll find the balls can make a world of difference.  One I really liked with the L90s was the L34 Callaway - it has a slow-ish meter which helps slow down the driver/irons and has 4 to 2.5 distance to spin ratio which was perfect for me with the higher spinning irons.  Once you figure out what ratio you prefer then you can start experimenting with the "high-end" balls that have a similar ratio.

Just my thoughts, but then again with your stats and earnings compared to mine, I should probably be asking you advice, lol.

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2023 11:44 AM

Even making it to L90 in 2 1/2 months is impressive, too. He went with the L90 clubs and L81 ball. It will be interesting to see how his average goes. Seems very talented.

i looked through the OP's Activity. Better clubs and balls than the Starters over the 2 1/2 months, but it's still very impressive what's been accomplished in that short time.

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2023 12:49 PM

I guess the numbers don't lie but would love to know how he made level 90 in 2.5 months.  I Have been playing since October 2022 and am homebound with some medical issues so I play about 10 hours a day.  Still took me 11 months to make level 96.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Thu, Sep 14 2023 8:31 AM

Squatch031:
    I guess the numbers don't lie but would love to know how he made level 90 in 2.5 months. 

Look at how many 3-hole Skins games he's played.  You get boatloads of XP for those, especially if you play with 4 players.  If you buy the XP Boosts in the Pro Shop, like he did, you get even more XP.  He also purchased a bunch of Level-Up Boosts.

• MisteryShots
    8 Posts
    Fri, Sep 15 2023 6:38 AM

With 200-300 credit balls is imposible to be competitive at top level. And i mean top level 30-40 BEST players.

I waste a lot of time mapping clubs dont go to do It every ball changue

• PAGES
RSS