Forums

Help › Forums

New pins on Chambers

Wed, Sep 6 2023 1:17 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • amb1923
    223 Posts
    Sun, Sep 3 2023 6:13 PM

Thanks for adding the new pins to Chambers. Especially because the greens are so huge on that course, it makes playing it feel a little new again.

It also makes me think that there must be a few more courses that were shot for two sets of pins. I've got to believe that RSG, Olympic, Pinehurst (all photographed before Chambers) and maybe even Erin Hills have a second set of pin locations stored on someone's old hard drive at the WGT home office. Anytime you all want to put them up here, we'll play them.

Last question while we're on the subject: I love playing all the new pins in this tourney format. Any way that we'll ever be able to chose between set 1 and set 2 on a particular course if we want to play a round?

• MioKontic
    4,593 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2023 7:59 AM

amb1923:
    Last question while we're on the subject: I love playing all the new pins in this tourney format. Any way that we'll ever be able to chose between set 1 and set 2 on a particular course if we want to play a round?

That was sort of discussed a few days ago here...

https://www.wgt.com/forums/t/731008.aspx

• SamSpayed
    4,903 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2023 10:47 AM

amb1923:
    It also makes me think that there must be a few more courses that were shot for two sets of pins. I've got to believe that RSG, Olympic, Pinehurst (all photographed before Chambers) and maybe even Erin Hills have a second set of pin locations stored on someone's old hard drive at the WGT home office. Anytime you all want to put them up here, we'll play them.

WGT stated in Discord that it takes them about 4 months to program a new set of pins.  They don't have the new pin locations stored someplace; they need to choose the new locations and program all the possible putting views from scratch.  It's apparently a lot of work.

They did ask which course we'd like to see new pins on next, which implies they'll continue to work on giving us a 2nd set of pins on more courses.  

• amb1923
    223 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2023 11:59 AM

SamSpayed:

amb1923:

WGT stated in Discord that it takes them about 4 months to program a new set of pins.  They don't have the new pin locations stored someplace; they need to choose the new locations and program all the possible putting views from scratch.  It's apparently a lot of work.

They did ask which course we'd like to see new pins on next, which implies they'll continue to work on giving us a 2nd set of pins on more courses.  

Good to know - thanks! 

I have some hazy memory from way back when I first joined (in 2010) that when they were photographing courses, they would shoot all the pictures for two different pin locations when they were on-site. I'm sure the process for creating a course - or even new pins - has changed a lot, and that either way it's a ton of work to get it out.

I'm definitely encouraged to hear that they're planning more. New pins are the second-best thing to getting a new course! :)

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2023 1:03 PM

SamSpayed:

amb1923:

Not exactly how I interpreted their Discord chat.  The way I took it was the course gave them a set of pins and that is what they are forced to use.  If they get a second set of pins, it has to be something the the real course would use in their "normal rotation".

They did say it took over 4 months to get Chambers set up, but also said they couldn't just pick any spots they wanted.

• BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2023 10:18 AM

That makes alot more sense,ty BB.

• RyjaTybas
    5,141 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2023 10:54 AM

Amongst the many legitimate moans about glitches - having new pins is a great move by WGT. It's almost like having a new course.

I might not have picked Chambers - but it livens up the course.

I assume we will get new pins on PGA - and maybe Torrey - but I've always been disappointed that RSG is not on the list.

Last I heard, it wasn't technically feasible. Oly could do with new pins too.

• MioKontic
    4,593 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2023 11:23 AM

amb1923:
    I have some hazy memory from way back when I first joined (in 2010) that when they were photographing courses, they would shoot all the pictures for two different pin locations when they were on-site.

I recall seeing what I thought was a photo of lots of cones and markings on a green; I thought it was when they were photographing Royal St Georges.  I searched the forum and found this:

https://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80483.aspx?hl=en

Watch the video that Andyson linked to in his post on page 1.  The video is Chad Nelson explaining how, amongst other things,  they go around photographing courses.  It was indeed at RSG.  And at around 4 minutes you can see a green in the backgruond with lots of cones, flags, golf balls, and other markings, and a photographer taking photos from certain places.

On page 2 there is a post from Icon:

WGTicon:

There will be new pins for both CCC and RSG. I have seen & played some.

Not all are done and it will take a while and I do not have a time frame for it.

-wgticon

So I wonder what happened to the new set of pins for RSG???

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2023 1:02 PM

I have a vague recollection of these second pins at RSG being removed because they didn't play correctly, but don't quote me on that.

⇩ EDIT : Lol, guess I asked for that one, Ryja.  ; ) ⇩

• RyjaTybas
    5,141 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2023 2:09 PM

ScottHope:

I have a vague recollection of these second pins at RSG being removed because they didn't play correctly, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• PAGES
RSS