Forums

Help › Forums

Courses with Multiple Pins

Thu, Mar 29 2012 6:21 AM (31 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,488 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 12:34 AM

There are several courses on WGT that have multiple pins per hole.  BPB, St Andrews, Oakmont for sure.  I also think that Congressional has 2 sets, since in a CTTH game there are pins that you don't see in stroke play.  Not sure about RSG but I know that Kiawah only has one set of pins.

The random nature of these is what I wonder about.  I would assume that would mean that you see them equally.  However on some holes, St Andrews 11 for example, I have never seen the up pin placement in stroke play.  Other pins appear rarely, while some holes for example St Andrews #1, you see the up as well as the back fairly equal.

Why don't we see them in a really random fashion?

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:48 AM

The only courses with 2 set of pins for stroke play are BPB St. Andrews and Oakmont.

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 5:14 AM

my question is will we *ever* get new pins for CCC or RSG (released later as they did w/ Oakmont 2nd pin locations?)?   I am aware that Kiawah is complete and no additional pin locations were captured.  

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 3:05 PM

TarheelsRule:

However on some holes, St Andrews 11 for example, I have never seen the up pin placement in stroke play. 

you mean the front location just over the bunker, correct?

try the wk 2 single play :)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 3:25 PM

Based on their experience, I sincerely doubt that WGT would have gone to the trouble of making the new courses without including the data necessary to roll out at least a second set of holes (after the first course, Kiawah, as an exception). But if Oakmont is a guide, they may hold back the second set to toss us a bone when things are slow.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 3:40 PM

^^^^^-what he said!

If you look closely at the video of Chad Nelson at RSG, around the 4:00 mark, he explains how the take photos of the greens.  In the background is the green on RSG #16 and a photograper on the green (@4:36) taking a photo of a small flag stuck in the green.  In fact there are 3 small flags on the green indicating to me they have planned on, and photographed, at least 3 pin positions on RSG. 

I'm pretty sure, of the 3 flags shown, the small yellow flag is our current pin location.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 3:55 PM

2 of those are cones off the side of the green, just like the blue one.

the red and purple stakes may well be pin locations

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 4:27 PM

oilyrag:

2 of those are cones off the side of the green, just like the blue one.

the red and purple stakes may well be pin locations

You have better eyes than I oilyrag!  Looking at the video in full screen the yellow and pink "flags" as I called them are really cones on the side of the green.  The red "flag" is a stake as is the purple on.   That's 2 possible pin locations in the video.

And it looks like the photographer is shooting at the purple one so its likely a hole location.

Now, I'm thinkin' the purple stake is our current pin location.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 4:59 PM

oilyrag:

If you mean the 18-hole comp, I played that and I got the back pin.  I can't actually remember the last time I saw the front pin.  It seemed to have died once I moved from Pro or Tour Pro.

andyson:
    indicating to me they have planned on, and photographed, at least 3 pin positions on RSG. 

Andy, I thought in that video, or maybe another video, or maybe even a thread regarding a video, that they said they plan for 4 holes on each course.  I'm guessing that each new hole takes quite some programming, which is why they're only releasing one at a time.  Also, maybe some of the holes are too easy and would make the scoring even more ridiculously lower than it is already.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 5:50 PM

MioKontic:

oilyrag:

If you mean the 18-hole comp, I played that and I got the back pin.  I can't actually remember the last time I saw the front pin.  It seemed to have died once I moved from Pro or Tour Pro.

maybe it's tier specific then, i had the front pin

RSS