Pin classification

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 31 2023 8:36 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • nopro17
    16,144 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 5:41 PM

AnaNikolaj:
    We did it 3 frigging times, every time checking the settings before pressing create tourney and every time they ended up as "easy" in tournament details, despite being set as "medium" during tourney creation.

That's exactly what I'm describing.

You select Easy and then the tournament gets created as Hard ... or Medium ... or, occasionally, Easy.

I really don't care which pins they determine to be Easy, Medium or Hard ... as long as I can select which set I want AND they are always the same.

• jacktrade51
    10,909 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 6:13 PM

I had this explained to me by a computer geek once.  He said what WGT is most likely doing is giving us a random package on easy/medium/tees.

So if we pick easy, we are likely to get 4-5 easier tees, 2-3 mediums and maybe 1 hard.  Reverse that if you pick hard tees.  And if you pick medium, you will get 4-5 of both.

There is no mechanism to pick individual pins.  In trying to approximate actual distances in a major to match the US Open distances a few years ago, we sort of accomplished that by playing with the tee settings, which can be changed hole by hole.

Tom.

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2023 2:38 AM

nopro17:

That's exactly what I'm describing.

You select Easy and then the tournament gets created as Hard ... or Medium ... or, occasionally, Easy.

I apologise, I misunderstood.  So this problem has been around a while?  I don't create any tournaments these days, but when I did I don't remember seeing this.  Then again, I don't even know how I'd check???

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2023 2:46 AM

jacktrade51:

I had this explained to me by a computer geek once.  He said what WGT is most likely doing is giving us a random package on easy/medium/tees.

So if we pick easy, we are likely to get 4-5 easier tees, 2-3 mediums and maybe 1 hard.  Reverse that if you pick hard tees.  And if you pick medium, you will get 4-5 of both.

There is no mechanism to pick individual pins.  In trying to approximate actual distances in a major to match the US Open distances a few years ago, we sort of accomplished that by playing with the tee settings, which can be changed hole by hole.

Tom.

Did you mean pins rather than tees, as that is what the OP et al are referring to?

Also, are you sure you can change the tee hole by hole?  I would have thought the tee is set once for the whole round.

With regards what they do in real golf tournaments, they will move tees around to suit what they want to achieve.  For instance... The Belfry (in the UK), 10th hole - they used to actually bring the tee forward, ahead of the yellow tee I believe, so that  the players would be tempted to go for the green with their drive.  It's not something you could do even from the yellow tees.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2023 6:56 AM

MioKontic:

jacktrade51:

Tom.

Did you mean pins rather than tees, as that is what the OP et al are referring to?

Also, are you sure you can change the tee hole by hole?  I would have thought the tee is set once for the whole round.

With regards what they do in real golf tournaments, they will move tees around to suit what they want to achieve.  For instance... The Belfry (in the UK), 10th hole - they used to actually bring the tee forward, ahead of the yellow tee I believe, so that  the players would be tempted to go for the green with their drive.  It's not something you could do even from the yellow tees.

One can actually change tees hole by hole. But not the pins. 

• nopro17
    16,144 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2023 8:36 AM

MioKontic:
    So this problem has been around a while? 

Yes.

I can't say how long but I would bet my life that it has been more than a year.

MioKontic:
    I don't create any tournaments these days, but when I did I don't remember seeing this.  Then again, I don't even know how I'd check???

Create a tournament to test it.  I always create tournaments from the web site.

Click on "Advanced Options" for Conditions.

Change the "Hole Location" to whatever you like.  Let's say you choose Easy.

Create the tournament.

Then, go to your Open Tournaments.

Find the tournament in the list and click on the grey down arrow tab to open up the details section for the tournament.

You're likely to see something like this:

The Hole Location ended up as "Hard" even though you chose "Easy".

• PAGES
RSS