Help › Forums

Pin classification

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 31 2023 8:36 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2023 4:09 AM

Seeing the new pins are now available on CB reminded me of an old idea. 

Does anyone else think it would be better to classify pins as "old, new and random" instead of "easy, medium and hard"? I just think it would be nice to be able to put on a tourney on a course, using nothing but the new (or old or random) set of pin. Cause with the classification we have now, there's just not enough consistency in what gets selected.

The tech part shouldn't be that difficult, there obviously is an option for old pins only, cause that's what all the bracket tourneys are using. 

• MioKontic
    4,593 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2023 4:30 AM

Hadn't realised there are new pins on Chambers.

If the pin locations are stored in a table it shouldn't be too difficult to make the classifications Old, New, Random, but what doesn't seem difficult for one may be extemely difficult for you-know-who.  And any changes would almost certainly be riddled with new bugs.  I hate to ask for any changes these days considering their track record.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2023 4:47 AM

MioKontic:
    Hadn't realised there are new pins on Chambers.

They say so in the final part of the "September updates" in the news on starting page. The way it reads is as if they already have them in place. Might be from September 1st though... 

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2023 12:19 PM

AnaNikolaj:
    Does anyone else think it would be better to classify pins as "old, new and random" instead of "easy, medium and hard"?

I like the idea.  But I wouldn't call them old / new / random because many players (particularly new players who come to WGT later) might not understand the context of which pins are "old" vs. which ones are "new".  I would just go with easy / hard / random or set 1 / set 2 / random as the choices.  

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2023 12:38 PM

A

SamSpayed:

AnaNikolaj:
    Does anyone else think it would be better to classify pins as "old, new and random" instead of "easy, medium and hard"?

I like the idea.  But I wouldn't call them old / new / random because many players (particularly new players who come to WGT later) might not understand the context of which pins are "old" vs. which ones are "new".  I would just go with easy / hard / random or set 1 / set 2 / random as the choices.  

Easy, hard, random is what we have now, with random being called medium, where you get different setups. I like the set 1, set 2, random. Where set 1&2 are the same every time, of course. 

• MioKontic
    4,593 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 3:01 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    Easy, hard, random

Aren't Easy and Hard just a mixture of the two sets, and not always the same?  If so, then all we have is Random, Random, Random!  It's far better, like you both say, to have Set 1 (the original set), Set 2 (the newer set), and Random (a mixture of both).

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 4:41 AM

MioKontic:
    all we have is Random, Random, Random!
    This! AFAIR, the pin sets change between tiers, but the "selection" is nonsense.

• nopro17
    16,143 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 6:35 AM

Pin selection does not work.

I did an analysis of this a few months ago.

There are 8 courses that have multiple hole locations (prior to today's update).

First of all, the dropdown selections for the hole locations is not consistent.  One would think they would all be Easy / Medium / Hard.  They're not.  Three of them are E/H/M and one of them is M/E/H.

Apart from the sloppiness of the coding, that doesn't bother me too much.

The bigger problem is that no matter which hole location you choose, it's much more likely  than not that the tournament will be created with something other than what you chose.

My analysis included 48 rounds.  Each pin location was used twice on each of the 8 courses.  Here are the results:

As you can see, only 9 of the 48 tournaments were created with the hole locations that I chose.

If cut-off jeans are a higher priority than allowing use to create tournaments with a specific set of hole locations, who am I to argue? :-\

• MioKontic
    4,593 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 12:17 PM

nopro17:
    As you can see, only 9 of the 48 tournaments were created with the hole locations that I chose.

As far as I know, there is no way of knowing which is the easy set, which the medium set, and which the hard set.  In my opinion the selection is just random.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 2:03 PM

MioKontic:

nopro17:

As far as I know, there is no way of knowing which is the easy set, which the medium set, and which the hard set.  In my opinion the selection is just random.

Nopro17 is actually saying, that the pin settings, when creating a CC tourney are messed up. Same thing happened in our CC. We tried to create a tourney extension with hopefully the same settings as the original one, which had heavy wind, 13 greens, medium hole locations. We did it 3 frigging times, every time checking the settings before pressing create tourney and every time they ended up as "easy" in tournament details, despite being set as "medium" during tourney creation. At least they haven't screwed up the wind and green settings... yet. Cause those were correct. 

• PAGES
RSS