Forums

Help › Forums

New Course

Tue, Jan 26 2010 6:01 PM (48 replies)
  • wiscb
    28 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 11:59 AM

This is like the stimulas for the banks.It was our money,and had no say so.Why don`t they (WGT) pick five coarses and let us (the financial backers) vote on the next one? There are alot nicer coarses then that yellow and brown St Andrews.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:41 PM

wiscb:

This is like the stimulas for the banks.It was our money,and had no say so.Why don`t they (WGT) pick five coarses and let us (the financial backers) vote on the next one? There are alot nicer coarses then that yellow and brown St Andrews.

Yes there are many much nicer courses than St.Andrews. But none more important to the history of the game. Being the birthplace of Golf as we know it today.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 8:37 PM

wiscb:

OK, So by your logic: St. Andrews is a bad course because you don't like the color of the turf......

This is a sad and common misconception among those who don't really understand what makes a good golf course, these kind of people are unfortunately great in number. Just because St. Andrews isn't maintained the way you are used to in the USA doesn't make it a bad golf course. In terms of conditioning of turf, what matters the most is that there are no bare spots, the grass is kept healthy, and a consistent turf length throughout the course is kept. I can tell you, having played St. Andrews myself (I am guessing you have developed your opinion by merely looking up pictures), that this course exhibits all of these characteristics. Scottish and Irish links courses are supposed to be kept rolling hard and fast. These types of courses are infrequently watered because of the amount it rains in Ireland and Scotland, especially along the coast. These courses do not flood because the sandy nature of the ground absorbs water. So therefore, the turf will not be, and is not supposed to be, the emerald green color you will see at say, an Augusta National. In terms of what else makes a great golf course: the history, the shot variety, the creativity of the layout, multiple routes to the green on many of the holes, playability for amateurs and not only pros, and I could keep going. The point is: shame on you if you cannot appreciate St. Andrews.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 5:25 AM

oppy:
    The point is: shame on you if you cannot appreciate St. Andrews.

Having only played it on Links with the HD look I will never appreciate St Ugly. I'll never find myself on that course in my lifetime anyway but it's hard to argue with Oppy's experience-he's been there. I've already been admonished for not having the total respect for the history of the game as it relates to this course.

However.......Thanks to MisterWGT's fine collection of pictures on his blog from his trip there I may have to revise my opinion. The course looked good enough to get excited about. Oppy's explanation of the conditions for the color of the grass and the consistency is a firsthand observation, so believable. I might have to back off on the attitude here. That is, until I find myself up against the vertical wall of one of those funny-named traps. Then I suppose I'll revert.  :) We'll see.

YJ

btw-What do they call those traps? I remember an odd name...........

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 8:43 AM

I can respect the first vehicle ever made, but I would still rather drive an Aston Martin.  I would liek to see St Andrews, just not as a the 3rd course, hard fast courses with low trajectory clubs and balls that cant fully check, no thanks.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 11:57 AM

neildiamond11790:

hard fast courses with low trajectory clubs and balls that cant fully check, no thanks.

Well I can tell you that the course does run fast in real life, however it is up WGT to determine how fast they want to make it play. So we will see.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:00 PM

YankeeJim:

btw-What do they call those traps? I remember an odd name...........

Well generally you call those kind of bunkers on St. Andrews pot bunkers. However, on St. Andrews they also give names to the bunkers, the most famous one being the road bunker on the 17th hole.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 3:39 PM

Well, as I understand it, they call them pot bunkers because after you've  been in a couple of them, that is all you're in the mood for.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 3:46 PM

SweetiePie:

Well, as I understand it, they call them pot bunkers because after you've  been in a couple of them, that is all you're in the mood for.

lol, interesting idea

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 4:36 PM

LMAO-saw that coming a mile away!

RSS