Forums

Help › Forums

Which top 10 course would you most like to see on WGT?

Fri, Jan 1 2010 1:14 PM (45 replies)
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:48 PM

Oppy... a lot of the courses we'd like to see on WGT will probably never happen.  WGT is essentially a startup company funded by venture capital.  Until it really establishes a name for itself (it is doing well so far) it won't be able to swing deals with the truely exclusive courses.  Though they pulled a nice coup with Bethpage (although a public course).  I just hope they can get Pebble Beach for this year's U.S. Open like they did Bethpage last year.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:49 PM

SP made the comment about any top 10 excluding Oakmont would be an error, I was responding to that.  In my opinion any top 10 that excludes Pinehurst # 2 is in error and I think that the super exclusive courses like Pine Valley are including more on their reputation amoung the exclusive membership than actually play.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:50 PM

Now this is getting to be a quality discussion..I was very fortunate to have played Cypress point in 1999..working as a design  consultant for the original Tiger woods golf games for EA sports..after spending over 500 hours on the virtual design..Cypress pulled back on giving EA sports the rights.

Moocha (hi,  I'm originally from Everett). I hear and agree with your point, however. I would also love to see and play  some of those exclusive classic courses..In truth, a nice mix  would be excellent.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:53 PM

Pebble Beach is the most over rated of all in my opinion and every single video game known to name has included it.   Ever get a chance to play Sahalia (think that is right) up in Seattle Danohi?  Great layout, think it hosted a US Open and a PGA.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:54 PM

TarheelsRule:

Pebble Beach is the most over rated of all in my opinion and every single video game known to name has included it.   Ever get a chance to play Sahalia (think that is right) up in Seattle Danohi?  Great layout, think it hosted a US Open and a PGA.

Pebble Beach is overrated.......in what way?

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:57 PM

In every way, except the view.  I think it is the 3rd best course in a 10 mile radius with Cypress and Spanish Bay being better.  Slow greens, bad conditioning, etc. at Pebble most of the time unless a touney is close.    Not even in my top 50 that I have played.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:05 PM

It is definitely made much better by the fact that is is right on the Pacific, it is why I always find it very hard comparing seaside courses to inland courses. What might people think of Pebble Beach if it were exactly the same except for it having no views of the oceans? If it had views like Winged Foot does for example (no views other than of the golf course itself) And Vice versa, how high much higher would Winged Foot be on people's lists if it were on the ocean? you get the point

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:08 PM

Danohi... Everett is a good place to be FROM!

TarHeels... No U.S. Opens at Sahalee, but PGA, yes.  I've played all 3 nines... a wonderful course, on the outskirts of Seattle.  I lucked out when a company friend who lives behind the 14th hole invited me.  I had to promise not to overshoot the green and bust out a window.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:11 PM

Pebble Beach is half beautiful Pacific coast setting.

It is half a quality/challenging layout (well, about 11 of the holes)

And it is half history and legend.

Yep, 3 halves.  All making it a very great course.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:12 PM

Sahalee was included with PGA 1999 and 2000.(Sierra sports) It a very tight tree lined venue  that really  doesn't have a lot going for it strategically (IMO) The PGA  removed over 300 hundred trees just to make it playable enough for the PGA tourney. I think the selection was totally political. There are better courses in the NW. (just MHO)

RSS