Help › Forums

New players, learn to flop!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 24 2020 7:12 AM (37 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2020 8:47 AM

DanL24:
    You realize you can just scroll right past something without bothering to respond ,right?  It would be far less tiresome for you.

I do realize that. How about you? And you do realize that the point of a discussion board is not to scroll past and to respond, yes? That's basically the point of a discussion board.

DanL24:
    But please continue with the feigned offense you take to this...

Never said I was offended, feigned or otherwise. Simply because you state something to be true doesn't make it so. I simply disagreed with what you posted. 

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2020 9:46 AM

Robert1893:

DanL24:
    You realize you can just scroll right past something without bothering to respond ,right?  It would be far less tiresome for you.

I do realize that. How about you? And you do realize that the point of a discussion board is not to scroll past and to respond, yes? That's basically the point of a discussion board.

DanL24:

Never said I was offended, feigned or otherwise. Simply because you state something to be true doesn't make it so. I simply disagreed with what you posted. 

if you simply disagreed, then please carry on being incorrect

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2020 10:35 AM

DanL24:

Robert1893:

You realize people can disagree and respond in that manner without being offended, yes? 

On discussion boards, that's such a common deflection tactic. The response really should be retired. It's tiresome.

From a game mechanics point of view, I felt it worth pointing out in this thread that a flop shot does not provide you with the highest likelihood of holing a shot from off the green.  Newer players will benefit from that knowledge.  I did not totally disparage the shot, though, as I agree it is the easiest way to consistently get the ball close from many situations.

I think I have holed out a Flop about 3 Times in 7 Years. I consider it a very low PCT shot to hole out. 

Usually when I flop its a short Bunker shot, 7 to 9 Yards.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2020 8:02 AM

DanL24:
    if you simply disagreed, then please carry on being incorrect

No worries. I did simply disagree. And it doesn't bother me to be incorrect on something as trivial as this. To me, it was much more important to support a member from my club than to be correct. Besides, I've had better and much more credentialed people than you tell me I'm wrong! 😀

But just like academia, the fights on here are so fierce because the stakes are so small. 😉

I hope you continue to be safe and well. 

Edit: I just want to be clear here. In my opinion, being right or correct is not always the most important thing in life. If it is, then one ends up like this person (see below).

And yes, I do realize that I have been guilty of this. I'm not that lacking in social awareness. Lacking? Yes! That lacking? I don't think so.

Besides, maybe that's why it's so easy for me to recognize it! 😀

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2020 8:06 AM

DonCaron:

I think I have holed out a Flop about 3 Times in 7 Years. I consider it a very low PCT shot to hole out. 

Usually when I flop its a short Bunker shot, 7 to 9 Yards.

Short bunker shots are about the only times I flop as well. From around the green (17 yards and in), I almost always pitch. I bet I pitch about 98% of the time. I try not leave myself with short bunker shots. 😀 

From 18 to 50 yards, I would say I punch about 85% of the time and use full shots the rest of the time. WalkofLife's 50-yard punch chart is fantastic. It's the only Excel sheet I use when playing this game. 

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 3:24 AM
    Hmmm yessss and nooo, I only flop if I’m using a low spinning ball or am in 40/50 rough 🥵, but the fact is you hole more pitches than flops, way more accurate imo, but everyone has their own ways !.
  • Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 6:29 AM

Connorjwebb123:
    Hmmm yessss and nooo, I only flop if I’m using a low spinning ball or am in 40/50 rough 🥵, but the fact is you hole more pitches than flops, way more accurate imo, but everyone has their own ways !.

If a player has decent wedges and a decent ball, yes, the pitch is typically a much better choice. Still, there are advanced players who argue differently. A while back there was quite an exchange on that point where someone argued the flop is always a better option than the pitch.

Regardless, new players will usually have neither good wedges nor be using a decent ball. For them, the flop is usually the better choice. Even on slower greens, it's difficult to stop the ball with starter wedges and balls. 

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 7:12 AM
    Robert1893:

Connorjwebb123:

If a player has decent wedges and a decent ball, yes, the pitch is typically a much better choice. Still, there are advanced players who argue differently. A while back there was quite an exchange on that point where someone argued the flop is always a better option than the pitch.

Regardless, new players will usually have neither good wedges nor be using a decent ball. For them, the flop is usually the better choice. Even on slower greens, it's difficult to stop the ball with starter wedges and balls. 

+1 very true
RSS