Forums

Help › Forums

New players, learn to flop!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 24 2020 7:12 AM (37 replies)
  • BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 10:59 AM

In the coin rooms and I don’t know how many times I have seen new players chipping when they should be flopping.  Once you learn how to hit the flop, which is by hitting the line that starts the forgiveness zone before the ding, you will be able to put it close on a variety of shots from the fairway to the rough and hole it. 

between 7-17 yards I expect to hole it every time.  I don’t every time, but I expect to. I know every player has the shots they like, not everyone likes to flop, but if you haven’t figured it out, try it, you’ll like it  

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 6:36 PM

Yes, it's a "go-to" shot. But many times a pitch is a better option.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 6:54 PM

K7JBQ:
    many times a pitch is a better option.

With high end wedges yes, this can be true, but for newer players with starter wedges or early levels the flop can control the amount of release a tad better, which may make it better option in those instances.  

Either way both are valid points.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 8:44 PM

el3n1:

With high end wedges yes, this can be true, but for newer players with starter wedges or early levels the flop can control the amount of release a tad better, which may make it better option in those instances.  

Either way both are valid points.

+1

When I'm playing a Level 81 ball, I almost never flop. I pitch. But when I play practice rounds with a starter ball, I almost never pitch. I flop. 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2020 7:28 AM

For a flop shot you can also go to reverse camera and move the flag stick two squares to the right , and then hit the ding , it might be easier than trying to hit somewhere that you are not used to hitting if you are a ding player . 
    hahahahah ...... does that make sense , I understand me , but perhaps not all do ?  

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2020 10:27 AM

bossbird:

For a flop shot you can also go to reverse camera and move the flag stick two squares to the right , and then hit the ding , it might be easier than trying to hit somewhere that you are not used to hitting if you are a ding player . 
    hahahahah ...... does that make sense , I understand me , but perhaps not all do ?  

thats helpful but doesn’t always account for the break I would assume  I will try that just to see what happens  

Robert1893:

When I'm playing a Level 81 ball, I almost never flop. I pitch. But when I play practice rounds with a starter ball, I almost never pitch. I flop. 

It is not so long ago that I was using the starter clubs and balls and yes there is some roll but I found the flop to be much easier early on than the chip or pitch. Also I used it and still do to great effectiveness out of the rough  

and when playing in the coin rooms, newer players tend to try the pitch of chip from a position like 5 feet below the green. Some times a pitch might perfectly hit the hill and pop up onto the green but what happens more is the pitch not making it on the green and then they are back where they started.  

Robert, do the higher level balls make the Flop spin too much or what have you found?  In the last day I have noticed actual spin on my wedges, before the update it never did that, just stopped mostly with no roll.   So as much as I love the flop, I have started thinking about what other shots might work better. I know it is all situational and per your playing style. 

and that’s what this thread was for, to open new players to different shots. Don’t just always go with the default setting the caddy gives you.  

• billycash74
    2,076 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2020 1:15 PM

bossbird:

hitting the first line is why ive never given the flop a whole lot of thought. i do see people using it to perfection though. moving the aimer never occured to me and ive never seen anyone else suggest it. Bossbird i need some lessons now. flop is going in my toolbag.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2020 1:29 PM

billycash74:

bossbird:

hitting the first line is why ive never given the flop a whole lot of thought. i do see people using it to perfection though. moving the aimer never occured to me and ive never seen anyone else suggest it. Bossbird i need some lessons now. flop is going in my toolbag.

I don’t move the marker like he said unless there is break. If you move the marker, then you can hit it closer to the ding as it will send the ball to the right. If there is a break I place the marker to utilize very little of the break because it is going to be in the air longer than it will be on the ground it shouldn’t roll more than a yard or two depending on the slope of the green which must be considered as well before taking the shot.

but like he said, if you consistently hit the ding then you should play the ball two squares to the left.  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2020 2:52 PM

billycash74:
    moving the aimer never occured to me and ive never seen anyone else suggest it.

??? interesting it was shared and described that way in one of the early videos I stumbled across when I first started playing in 2017 on youtube dated Mar 9, 2014, by Lizard69.  only about 1min 30sec in so no need to wait long.  

I play the flop both ways (situational)  - flop line and ding line but generally find the pitch shot with higher end wedges the best chance to hole out with.  -  sometimes wind effects flops and sometimes it doesn't seem to... so it feels more like a guessing game... pitch shots seem more consistent and you can read the line like a putt -- biggest exception is being shortsided with steep down hill slope to the pin with Champ greens, then flop clearly a better option as FBS seems to bite a bit better and have less rollout.

• Goaheadnripit
    4 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2020 6:38 AM

try closing ur eyes, pick a club and do the best u can, u will be surprised!!

RSS