Help › Forums

New players, learn to flop!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 24 2020 7:12 AM (37 replies)
  • fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 6:39 AM

BWerthy:

between 7-17 yards I expect to hole it every time.

You simply have no idea what you’re talking about. Just admit that you made a mistake in writing that statement instead of trying to spin it. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 6:49 AM

fobby1980:
    You simply have no idea what you’re talking about. Just admit that you made a mistake in writing that statement instead of trying to spin it. 

He simply said what he expects because he knows it's going to be close. He didn't say that he holes it every time. You and the other person are making way too much of that simple statement. 

There's no spin. I really don't see the issue with what he wrote and why anyone is even fixating on it. 

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 7:17 AM

So the bold phrase is what, accidental? He made his intentions very clear by putting that phrase in bold. If OP had said “between 7-17 I expect to stiff it close every time, with a hole-out here and then” nobody would have issue with it. You ever heard of the phrase: “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”. He doesn’t have any evidence. Just admit that you exaggerated too much instead of spinning it to become “positive thinking”. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 7:40 AM

This is the culture we now live in. Everyone has to find that "gotcha!" moment. 

It's more important to say, "Ha! You're wrong!" than to look at the simple intent behind what was said or written. 

And yes, I've heard the phrase. But I don't think Sagan (or the scholars he was alluding to) had golf discussion boards in mind in formulating the aphorism. 

You ever hear of this phrase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV2LkGpQB0

Or this phrase: We judge others by their behavior but ourselves by our intent (or its variations). 

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 7:59 AM

It applies to everything Robert. And why did I and the other person point it out? Because this is a discussion board. Everything you wrote will be held against you. Surely you know that. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 8:06 AM

fobby1980:

It applies to everything Robert. And why did I and the other person point it out? Because this is a discussion board. Everything you wrote will be held against you. Surely you know that. 

Everything shouldn't be held against us. We should be willing to cut each other some slack, especially when the world has gone whack-a-doodle.

I know I've said some pretty stupid stuff over the years. I'd like to think that every once in a while someone would say, "Yeah, we'll let this one go."

And don't call me Shirley! 😉

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 8:52 AM

DanL24:
    Sorry you are so easily offended.

You realize people can disagree and respond in that manner without being offended, yes? 

On discussion boards, that's such a common deflection tactic. The response really should be retired. It's tiresome.

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 9:15 AM

I had a chuckle and moved on. Worked for me.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2020 9:26 AM

@twinponds

😁

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2020 10:22 AM

Robert1893:

You realize people can disagree and respond in that manner without being offended, yes? 

On discussion boards, that's such a common deflection tactic. The response really should be retired. It's tiresome.

You realize you can just scroll right past something without bothering to respond ,right?  It would be far less tiresome for you.

From a game mechanics point of view, I felt it worth pointing out in this thread that a flop shot does not provide you with the highest likelihood of holing a shot from off the green.  Newer players will benefit from that knowledge.  I did not totally disparage the shot, though, as I agree it is the easiest way to consistently get the ball close from many situations.

But please continue with the feigned offense you take to this...

RSS