Forums

Help › Forums

Steam vs. Early PC Access

Mon, Jun 22 2020 5:45 PM (28 replies)
  • Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 10:55 PM

MarchieB:

That doesn't look like a resounding success so far, but I'd be interested in seeing some figures about how many people are playing PCEA already.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 3:03 AM

Thanks Marchie, I was having problems posting that picture.

Almost 1,000 Members. Still a long way to go. We will never get all the figures I'm afraid

• k5ntonsm1th
    34 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 3:22 AM

Regarding numbers on early access/steam : Iv been mostly playing EA for a few months now and i have had to explain the demise of flash etc to so many players, a heck of a lot of old PC players to ! When you tell them to search the forum for the access they had no idea it was there. There is only a really small proportion of WGT members that even bother with looking at the forum. Until WGT actually sends out an email to all members, then the numbers will remain low in my opinion. Maybe this will happen closer to the flash cut off date.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 4:36 AM

DonCaron:
    Almost 1,000 Members. Still a long way to go. We will never get all the figures I'm afraid

What you posted is a snapshot of how many were playing then and useful as that.  You'd get more figures and an idea of how it's going if you used the link and did as I suggested (golf in the box top right), it gives how many are playing when you look but also the 30 day average and the way that's moving.  It would also show how this compares to other golf games.

I don't think steam is proving popular maybe as many are already on PCEA and don't see the point of getting the same game through a different route. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 4:47 AM

DodgyPutter:

DonCaron:

What you posted is a snapshot of how many were playing then and useful as that.  You'd get more figures and an idea of how it's going if you used the link and did as I suggested (golf in the box top right), it gives how many are playing when you look but also the 30 day average and the way that's moving.  It would also show how this compares to other golf games.

I don't think steam is proving popular maybe as many are already on PCEA and don't see the point of getting the same game through a different route. 

+1

I don't see that many will switch over until the Launcher is disabled . You are correct, As always.

• JDGHOST
    6,782 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 6:06 AM

DonCaron:
    I don't see that many will switch over until the Launcher is disabled

So again I ask ...It is  known for a "FACT" that eventually the launcher WILL be disabled?...And what is the purpose of WGT doing that?

I hope that is "Fake News" as much as I hate the PCEA and like many planed on finding a new way to fill my golf addiction "IF" and when flash is completely gone and unplayable ....I have been trying to keep a more open mind and have been dabbling a bit on PCEA as of late ....But if the Launcher disappears and I am "FORCED" to play this game only on Steam...Then given the issues I incurred when attempting to play on Steam (apparently my laptop just couldn't handle steam) Sad to say WGT is really coming to and end for me and I suspect some others....And I realize I like MANY "cried wolf" and said "we quit" when this all began many months ago with the announcement of "the death of Flash" a lot of us (myself included) Calmed down and started giving PCEA a try....But now you drop this Bomb? Its Steam or nuthin?..Well for me at least... That will be the final straw that broke the Ghost's back!! 

JD👻

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 6:25 AM

JDGHOST:
    So again I ask ...It is  known for a "FACT" that eventually the launcher WILL be disabled?...And what is the purpose of WGT doing that?

Unless we hear it from WGT, its not official.

It only make sense to get rid of the launcher to force people use steam. The only reason I still have the launcher is the Spins and Scratcher. 

I use the steam to play that version. I'm not crazy about change either, but this is where the game is going.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 7:50 AM

My assumption was that Steam was just a way of opening up the doors to new players, a whole community who already use Steam. The launcher is just for existing players because nobody outside of us would know about it otherwise.

I'm sure there are other benefits to WGT from being on Steam too, but increasing their reach always felt like the main one to me. So I hope the launcher doesn't go away as I have found the gameplay slightly (and I stress 'slightly') less responsive on Steam, so I prefer to use the launcher when I play.

But if the launcher goes then I'll play on Steam, it's no longer a biggie for me.

Nigel.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 11:43 AM

A few random and probably contradictory thoughts, I'm just googling stuff but It's a mystery to me what wgt are doing here.

The things i was looking at were, why did they launch on steam? And why would they want us all playing through steam?

The first seems easy enough, they wanted more customers. I really can't see what these "other benifts" are.

The second, I really don't think they would.

If a developer puts a game on steam valve keep 30% of the money from game sales, I couldn't see what happens with "free to play" games but it seems likely there will be something similar. So if we play the game through the launcher wgt get all the money and if we play through steam valve get a sizeable chunk, and the rumour is wgt will make anyone that wants to play do it through steam :-/

I'd say the fact there are over 20 million on steam every day made wgt think they could pick up significant numbers there and they'd mostly be new players. But......why did they publicise it here when only folk who were already playing could see it. :-/

Back to where I started, it's all a mystery to me :-)

oh something else; what happens if you buy all your stuff on launcher and play all your games through steam, surely they'd still want paid?

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 2:32 PM

DodgyPutter:

DonCaron:

I agree, players are not rushing to go there. A lot of players I talk to say they wont switch until flash is gone. Personally I think thats a mistake, putting is going to take some getting used to.

Where I got the 1,000 players from was the bottom snapshot. It 900 and something.

RSS