Forums

Help › Forums

Steam vs. Early PC Access

Mon, Jun 22 2020 5:45 PM (28 replies)
  • jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2020 8:58 PM

I downloaded the latter although I haven't played with it yet.  Then WGT announces a deal with Steam (which I had never heard of but have googled since … I get they are a major platform).

So somebody who hates change and learning new systems … help me ...

Which should I do and why?

Thanks all.  Tom.

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 11:02 AM

IMHO if you have never used Steam before you are probably just better off sticking to the PCEA that you've already downloaded.  

The Steam version is 100% Identical to the PCEA you already have but has to be played by going through the Steam page/app. To me Steam just adds an unnecessary level of confusion and redundancy. If you were already using Steam for other games I'd say go for it but otherwise I think it's just a hassle that most don't need.

I believe WGT's reason for adding the game to Steam was to have access to it's millions of potential new players. That's fine but as long as there is a stand alone PCEA version, I will stay clear of Steam. I do not see any advantage to using it over the standalone.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 11:38 AM

MarchieB:

I believe WGT's reason for adding the game to Steam was to have access to it's millions of potential new players. That's fine but as long as there is a stand alone PCEA version, I will stay clear of Steam. I do not see any advantage to using it over the standalone.

WRONG.  IMO, tho I don't believe it is working yet.  I believe the main reason for going to steam will be to stop cheating.  Once banned on steam, you won't get back.

• fredzeppelin
    1,628 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 12:13 PM

garyk49:

WRONG.  IMO, tho I don't believe it is working yet.  I believe the main reason for going to steam will be to stop cheating.  Once banned on steam, you won't get back.

Cheating? Enlighten me/us? 

(Not snark, seriously I am not informed on what you're referring to.)

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 12:34 PM

jacktrade51:

I downloaded the latter although I haven't played with it yet.  Then WGT announces a deal with Steam (which I had never heard of but have googled since … I get they are a major platform).

So somebody who hates change and learning new systems … help me ...

Which should I do and why?

Thanks all.  Tom.

Tom they are the same game. And I believe once flash goes away Steam will be the only way you can play WGT besides on mobile. 

• JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 1:56 PM

borntobesting:
    Tom they are the same game. And I believe once flash goes away Steam will be the only way you can play WGT besides on mobile.

Well I truly hope you are wrong with that outlook? Why would that be the case? Why would WGT not offer the PCEA on its own "Launcher" platform as is does now....And to be honest I believe their thought of putting their product on Steam WAS to reach gamer's that were otherwise unaware of WGT period ...no other reason....

And have to agree with Marchie on this one ...Because IMO Steam is not all that great it is very loaded sight with very busy servers when I downloaded it and gave WGT a try... I uninstalled Steam within 15 mins I had glitch/meter issues something terrible!! Now I confess I play on a decent HP laptop...But nowhere near the equipment that some of you may be on to play WGT ...IE: Alienware or high end Laptops or desktops etc....For all we know the the high ups at WGT may end up pulling their product off Steam? Ya never know... I read some of the reviews by "Steamer's"....It seams to me Steam is a dedicated to fortnite type games and "Killing" games and 13-19 year old's... But I only checked it out briefly so I may be off base ...Maybe someone who has been on Steam for a long time can elaborate ...

Just my thoughts ...JD

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 2:07 PM

borntobesting:

It doesn't seem to be taking off on steam, unless my reading of the steam chart  is wrong.

Just type "golf" in the search box, top right. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 2:25 PM

garyk49:

MarchieB:

Unless they create another account. They would lose their current account and they would create another. Same as they do now.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 2:57 PM

DodgyPutter:

borntobesting:

It doesn't seem to be taking off on steam, unless my reading of the steam chart  is wrong.

Just type "golf" in the search box, top right. 

This is what I came up with. this of steam: Click on it to See it

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 3:31 PM

RSS