Thu, Oct 31 2019 6:57 AM

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 8:03 AM

TopShelf2010:

Luckystar5:

Just laugh,

St Andy     30 mph, 12.0 greens

Oh man, I can hear all of the complaints coming in already.

High winds are no fun. Yada yada yada

There won't be as much participation. Blah blah blah

I am not going to waste passes on this garbage

LOL

Don

What do you mean ?!  Are you saying players do not receive a sense of accomplishment with a 30 MPH wind in your face and hitting a crushing Drive of 252 yds. lol

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 8:10 AM

TopShelf2010:

middbrew:
    Look on the bright side, there should be a few new personal long drive records set. 

Now that is the type of comments I do not mind reading.

Nicely done

Don

I always look for something I can take away from whatever I do.   EAMPLE : I just hit a New Personal Best Record for shortest Drive.!!

• Fencer100
    2,063 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 9:02 AM

andwhy67:

Well St Andrew is a traditional Scottish Links, on the east coast over looking the Moray Forth, which then enters the North Sea.

30 mph winds are probably the norm there this time of year

The same can be said for Royal St George’s over looking the English Channel, which incidentally is the busiest shipping lane in the World.

30 mph winds are probably the norm there too.

For your info andwhy, St Andrews faces onto the North Sea, and is just south of where the River Tay enters the North Sea. The Moray Firth is probably 60 or 70 miles north of St Andrews, nevertheless it can be damn windy there and freezing cold !

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 10:37 AM

You are correct, I need a geographical lesson, North of the Forth of Firth (or the Forth of Something) I believe, But still on the North Sea, but the question was the wind, and as we Brits both know it can blow.

I was actually born 25 miles from RSG, and played at a course, Princess which is used as an Open Qualifier, played only once and god it blew.

Sorry gone a bit of topic there!

• AlaskanDame
    18,967 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 1:19 PM

Now, tell me where the wind blows from and to on the Best of Par 5’s.  That’s the course we had after Olympic and St. Andrews.  

From a comment above, is Oakmont the other course, or are there 5 with RSG as well?

GLTA! 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 2:06 PM

When have only had st Andrews twice and Olympic twice , are the others best of par five and oakmont  ? 

• AlaskanDame
    18,967 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:10 PM

Best of 5’s for sure.  And I think we are at Bethpage now.  The comments above about RSG and Oakmont may have been extraneous to the Clash.  Not sure.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:11 PM

Had St Andy, Oly, and Beth Page

• jacktrade51
    10,901 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 4:35 PM

In first 4 games, one BP followed by 3 St. Andrews.

I don't like 30 mph winds either, but St. A has wide fairways and greens.  On fairway and on green in 2 isn't that tough.  The 4 foot birdie putt we would like have is tougher to achieve, obviously.

For laughs, and I was lucky, 30 mph tail wind on first hole … I tried to drive the green.  It worked but not the way I intended.  But landed short of the berm and bounced over it.  I wouldn't have tried it if I thought that was the risk.

Tom.

RSS