Help › Forums

winds so wrong wgt

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 21 2019 9:35 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 8:22 PM

Hmmm.  I  find some winds more questionable on mobile than desktop, but one thing i had not really considered before is whether certain holes on wgt could be prone to swirling winds similar to hole 12 at the masters....

One hole that seems possible is the short par 3 on Merion and a couple at Bandon that could possibly produce swirling winds... thing is there is no way we could account for that without judging trees or something... while we attribute it to variance or vem could the software be incorporating swirling like conditions at times?

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 9:35 PM

el3n1:

Hmmm.  I  find some winds more questionable on mobile than desktop, but one thing i had not really considered before is whether certain holes on wgt could be prone to swirling winds similar to hole 12 at the masters....

One hole that seems possible is the short par 3 on Merion and a couple at Bandon that could possibly produce swirling winds... thing is there is no way we could account for that without judging trees or something... while we attribute it to variance or vem could the software be incorporating swirling like conditions at times?

I play PC 99% of the time, but I do find the wind inconsistent on some holes of some courses.  I think there may be more variance/vem applied on oceanfront holes, for example.  I have seen sometimes on a hole where the wind seems normal, other times affects the ball more, and even other times where the wind seems to have little/no effect.

You are right, there is no way to predict it - I try to allow for some added variance on those holes, but in high winds that can be difficult to impossible!

• PAGES
RSS