Help › Forums

winds so wrong wgt

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 21 2019 9:35 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bigstickdude
    19 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2019 10:00 AM

I've played this game for 8 years, tell me how it works I have a shot 180 with a 20 mph tailwind and hit a 180 club. with a ding the ball goes 165 yd, whats the deal wgt. with your program , starting to look for a new game to play. it  cost me a lot to play this game, fix your program or lose a player.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2019 10:42 AM

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2019 2:20 PM

bigstickdude:

I've played this game for 8 years, tell me how it works I have a shot 180 with a 20 mph tailwind and hit a 180 club. with a ding the ball goes 165 yd, whats the deal wgt. with your program , starting to look for a new game to play. it  cost me a lot to play this game, fix your program or lose a player.

It happens.

Change in elevation uphill?

Sometimes it seems that the wind just stops or changes - particularly on some courses and holes.  I make notes about those, but they are hard to predict.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Aug 20 2019 2:41 PM

bigstickdude:
    tell me how it works I have a shot 180 with a 20 mph tailwind and hit a 180 club. with a ding the ball goes 165 yd

With a 20mph tailwind, why'd you use the 180 club?  Did you choke down too much in power?  I've had my share of ????? shots too but after being here as long as we have, one would have to guess that you've seen them before.

bigstickdude:
    it  cost me a lot to play this game, fix your program or lose a player.

Shouldn't cost that much to play anymore, you already have great equipment, just cost of restocking golf balls now and you aren't using the most expensive.  I wouldn't suggest leaving the game over some bad shots.  To each their own though.  Hope you find the answer you seek.

TopShelf2010:

I read this somewhere ( LOL )...

"remember this is just a game,to many people take it to heart and think they must win or the world will stop. get a grip guys its a game, just a game"

Don

Image result for i see what you did there

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, Aug 20 2019 3:19 PM

hpurey:
    With a 20mph tailwind, why'd you use the 180 club?  Did you choke down too much in power? 

Exactly - unless you were going uphill a fair amount, you would not be hitting anywhere near full power.  Remember - distance is NOT proportional to power - IMHO, one needs to be hitting between 95-100% of any shot they try - below that, results become less predictable and distance drops off a lot.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Aug 20 2019 3:26 PM

bigstickdude:

180 with a 20 mph tailwind and hit a 180 club. with a ding the ball goes 165 yd

Does your 6-iron go 180...and your 8-iron go 150 by any chance?  Just a hunch...

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 2:01 AM

I believe, or rather I have read that when u put full backspin on a shot it doesn't go as high as the normal shot, which I found rather disconcerting, especially when one has to deal with elevation.

So taking BPB #15 as an example the elevation is severe but the shot distance is no more than 130 - 140 yards, so I hit a 7 iron 150 normally, but if I put BS on it then it struggles to reach the green, and apart from that why put BS on a shot to a green that slopes so severely back to front.

I make the same mistake repeatedly as I am sure many others do, especially those of us who play RL golf.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 4:37 AM

oneeyedjohn:
    I believe, or rather I have read that when u put full backspin on a shot it doesn't go as high as the normal shot, which I found rather disconcerting, especially when one has to deal with elevation.

That's the wrong way round, with fbs the ball goes higher.

To put some numbers on it I tried the shot mentioned.  

BB15 wind was only 3-5 and at 10 o'clock,134 yds from the front pin.  I hit an 8 iron full power (think that's what you meant) fbs and without bs and there was little difference in the distance (fbs 142yds and 144yds without) but both were way long in a horrible place.  I then tried them with 95% power fbs came up 2yds short and without bs carried 131 but ran on 9yds giving a horrid 15ft downhill putt.

The main point being; with the full shot with fbs the apex was 109ft, without bs 97ft.  95% power + fbs 95ft, 95% power without bs 90ft.  

So the ball goes higher with fbs and height is also lost by taking power off, hitting without bs and less than full power leaves a very small window between the fringe and running past the hole.

Wind also affects the apex, a shot into the wind goes higher.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 4:23 PM

Silly me, I forgot all about the shot tracker we have on screen, I always play wiv it off.

I checked and hit a few shots and yes, hitting fbs with less than full power is not reliable as the distance loss is quite sizeable.

Thanks Dodgy for straightening me out.

Here is a nice 20% power punch no bs for 6.9 foot straight putt replay

• PAGES
RSS