Help › Forums

Most Difficult Holes

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 5 2020 6:51 AM (36 replies)
  • 1irony
    415 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2020 5:50 PM

YankeeJim:

I'd be curious to see how this fares in your CC. 13 greens, back tees, still hasn't seen a sub-60 round yet.  :-)

Challenge accepted! Will update as it progresses.

Cheers,

Darren

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2020 9:11 PM
    I don't flat out dread too many holes, but Oakmont 9 kills me on the green. RSG 9 isn't a hard hole, but I always seem to turn it into one.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2020 5:11 AM

K7JBQ:
    I don't flat out dread too many holes, but Oakmont 9 kills me on the green.

Many players use the trap to get par. Anything long on that green is a 2 putt if you're lucky, more likely a 3 putt. However, finding that trap and popping it out just under the pin gets a fairly easy par.  :-)

• binkybaxter1
    1,556 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2020 11:37 PM
    Southern England Links .. set up jims course .. high winds single play 13 greens.. struggling :)
  • BWerthy
    1,008 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2020 1:14 AM

YankeeJim:

K7JBQ:

Many players use the trap to get par. Anything long on that green is a 2 putt if you're lucky, more likely a 3 putt. However, finding that trap and popping it out just under the pin gets a fairly easy par.  :-)

^^^^^
    The exact conversation I had in my country club.  The other option is to lay up short of the bunker and play your 64 wedge in. That has been what I’ve been doing and has been better than ending up on the back of that green. 

• borntobesting
    9,601 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2020 4:31 AM

YankeeJim:

K7JBQ:

We all know that's how we should play it but we think I can stop it close this time and end up way past the hole. Most of the time that putt is not only way down hill it breaks a lot more than we think and it putts us in an awful spot to save par. Most of the time it is a  3 putt bogey when we could have made par or gotten lucky and holed the pitch for a bird.. 

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2020 3:07 PM

For me personally, Oak 9 should be played similarly to Erin 3 and Bethpage 15; that is, 2 yards long and 2 yards to the left of pin. Gravity and slope will bring the ball back below the hole. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2020 8:57 AM

YankeeJim:

DonCaron:

I know this is from 2019, but I set it up and posted it.

It looks very intriguing. 

I'd be curious to see how this fares in your CC. 13 greens, back tees, still hasn't seen a sub-60 round yet.  :-)

So far 27 Players have played and 1 Tour Champion with a 29.

Stuman66 has not played it yet, he was dealing with the Virtual Tour Championship Yesterday. If he does, he will shoot a 26 or 27

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2020 11:35 AM

DonCaron:
    So far 27 Players have played and 1 Tour Champion with a 29.

12 greens a definite advantage.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 9:34 AM

Here's a course that we designed as a CC tourney for our club.  It's called the Cuss Truck Challenge.  It started out with a cuss jar that you put a dollar in, every time you cussed over a shot.  But it quickly grew to a truck since a jar wasn't large enough to hold all the $$.  Virtual dollars of course.. Here it is, Par is 72. Champ Greens and High Wind.

Front 9                                                Back 9

Pebble #8.                                           Olympic #5                                                                  Merion #5                                             Bethpage #15                                                            Olympic #3                                           Pebble #17                                                                Oakmont #12                                        Olympic #16                                                              St Andrews #2                                       Merion #12                                                                Erin Hills #7                                           Merion #17                                                                Pinehurst #4                                          Pebble #14                                                                RSG #11                                                St Andrews #17                                                        Chambers #1                                         Oakmont #9                                                              

Give it a try. I think you'll enjoy it or cuss.

RSS