Help › Forums

Most Difficult Holes

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 5 2020 6:51 AM (36 replies)
  • terencehill3
    978 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2019 11:27 PM

hi,

if i want to create a club tourney with most difficult holes to play - with suggestions how best to play them 

are there any other holes i could include?

1. BPB 15 -- best approach for me on this hole is to land directly below the pin on the green

• Gustavius11
    579 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2019 6:47 PM

hole 2 St Andrews

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2019 8:08 PM

terencehill3:

hi,

if i want to create a club tourney with most difficult holes to play - with suggestions how best to play them 

1. BPB 15 -- best approach for me on this hole is to land directly below the pin on the green

Best approach for on that hole for me is 10 to 12 feet past the hole and 10 to 12 feet to the left. The ball will follow the contour of the green toward the hole. I have eagled it a few times like that. Playing it that way rarely leaves a downhill putt. Almost always a short uphill putt if it doesn’t hole out

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2019 9:08 PM

terencehill3:
    i want to create a club tourney with most difficult holes to play

Look at holes where you have to hit long irons into the green or have to deal with elevations. Use holes where you're not hitting wedges for the second shot. Stay away from Par3s and 5s, those are holes you can relax on for the most part. You want holes where your second shot is crucial to a good score. 

I designed a par 4 course that is a serious test for any golfer in the CC and it's named Misery. The course record is 61 and what makes it hard is that there's no gimme holes, you have to think on every one. This is what it looks like....

I did this before WC came out and I didn't use any Kia holes because of the atrocious green mapping. My goal was to create difficult approaches on as many holes as I could and it worked-there's 18 of them.  :)

p.s., You're welcome to copy it.  ;-)

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2019 4:34 PM

terencehill3:

hi,

For me personally, best approach for this hole -both pin positions- is to play for 2-3 yards past and let the slope bring the ball back to the hole. Got 2 eagles out of this approach; unfortunately mobile doesn’t have replay. 

PS: borntobesting already posted the same tactics; too careless to read through the whole thread before posting

• Ezzy1959
    44 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 3:23 AM

Hi

On my profile, check out 'replays' and view - 'I'll never hit a better eagle!!!!'. This will show you how to play Bethpage 15. I should have entitled it 'Good things come to those who wait', as the ball took about 20 seconds to drop into the cup. Arguably, I did hit a better eagle last week when I 'Slam Dunked!!' an eagle for the first time.

• budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 1:21 PM

Very nice shot Ezzy. I've got a saved replay of a putt that did basically the same thing. Nice shot.

• Ezzy1959
    44 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 3:49 PM

Awesome! Your putt on Bethpage 15 was like a carbon copy finish to the hole as my shot. Not only have you putted pass the hole once to hit the cup on the way back down, but twice. Great skill to make those reads. I think together we have made a strong case for how to play Bethpage 15. Shame I can't do it more often lol.

• terencehill3
    978 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 9:07 PM

great shot Ezzy

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=98e6ab55-edd1-42aa-a619-a2570001ef31

RSS