Most Difficult Holes

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 5 2020 6:51 AM (36 replies)
  • fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Thu, Aug 22 2019 8:47 AM

YankeeJim:

Some more holes for OP to consider:

- EH 8. The pin placement makes this hole especially tough. EH 3 is always a tough cookie, for me at least. Your approach have to hit the ridge behind the pin just right for it to roll back for a good birdie look; go past the ridge and say hello to bogey.

- WC doesn't have many tough holes, but 10 and 14 do stand out. 

- Pebble Beach's gauntlet of 8,9,10. For extra vindictiveness, add them together. 

- Pinehurst 16 is not as hard as its F9 counterpart 4, but it definitely belongs in the "hardest par4" group in WGT.

- RSG 4 is a sleeper hole because of its savage green. 

- Olympic 5. This hole causes more headaches that it should because of the right dogleg that forces you to play into the overhanging tree on the right side. 

- CCC 4. Immediately off the tee you are forced to carry a huge tree. The approach play severely uphill, and the pin is cut very close to the front to boot. Another tree just off the left side of the green is ready to catch off-line shots. Honorable mention: 14 and 15.

- Bethpage 7 (front right pin), and of course 15.

- St Andrews 2, and 13.

- Kiawah 18. 

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 4:27 AM

#1 Chambers from the tips into any kind of headwind....you either leave it short of the green for a pitch/putt to save par, or you go for the flag and have a 60' birdie putt up hill.

It's a *** of a hole.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 4:30 AM

fobby1980:

YankeeJim:

- Olympic 5. This hole causes more headaches that it should because of the right dogleg that forces you to play into the overhanging tree on the right side. 

I don't do many things well in this game, but I learned how to draw and fade shots pretty well.  Since I've learned to do that, I haven't hit that tree, or the trees on Olympic 16 and that big dogleg left.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 5:14 AM

YankeeJim:

terencehill3:
    i want to create a club tourney with most difficult holes to play

Look at holes where you have to hit long irons into the green or have to deal with elevations. Use holes where you're not hitting wedges for the second shot. Stay away from Par3s and 5s, those are holes you can relax on for the most part. You want holes where your second shot is crucial to a good score. 

I designed a par 4 course that is a serious test for any golfer in the CC and it's named Misery. The course record is 61 and what makes it hard is that there's no gimme holes, you have to think on every one. This is what it looks like....

I did this before WC came out and I didn't use any Kia holes because of the atrocious green mapping. My goal was to create difficult approaches on as many holes as I could and it worked-there's 18 of them.  :)

p.s., You're welcome to copy it.  ;-)

I know this is from 2019, but I set it up and posted it.

It looks very intriguing. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 5:17 AM

DonCaron:

I'd be curious to see how this fares in your CC. 13 greens, back tees, still hasn't seen a sub-60 round yet.  :-)

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2020 7:23 AM

YankeeJim:

DonCaron:

I'd be curious to see how this fares in your CC. 13 greens, back tees, still hasn't seen a sub-60 round yet.  :-)

I set it up with moderate winds and default tees. I only used VF Greens, it is going to be challenging as it is. I let you know how it does.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2020 6:03 AM

i set something similar up yesterday.  best score is a 67.  moderate winds, 13 greens.  Added Oakmont #9 to this.  

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2020 7:16 AM

pdiehm:

i set something similar up yesterday.  best score is a 67.  moderate winds, 13 greens.  Added Oakmont #9 to this.  

So far 14 Played and 5 more signed up. Best score is a 31

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:06 AM

pdiehm:

I laid that out before Oakmont came back and #9 would def have been one of them. Couple others there that could make it, too.

Holes like BP15 were left out because the focus was on the length of the iron needed and that hole usually gets a 6i or lower. Too easy. LOL  :-)

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:48 AM

we've had  21 try it.  9 under par (2 at 67, 68, 3 at 69, 3 at 71), I shot par, 8 over par with worst being an 88, and 3 withdrawals, one was +7 after 4 holes.

RSS