Forums

Help › Forums

How many putts per round

Mon, Aug 12 2019 4:25 PM (4 replies)
  • kipdog87
    2,046 Posts
    Sun, Aug 11 2019 3:17 AM

Hi all,

I will say sorry in advance if this is an old topic. I was wondering how many putt you think you are happy with on 9 holes, for me 12 putts means that i will be about 5 under and 14 putts means that i have had a tough day at the office. I hope that with your help will give a guide that might help others

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Aug 11 2019 5:10 AM

In order to help others, you need to know their individual situation, and goals.  For instance, in my case, in order to shoot my average, my answer to you, would be 9.  if I can't 1 putt every green, I would have a real hard time shooting my average. If you're trying to help someone reach the master tier, then your answer would be 14. That's assuming that you are on the greens in regulation.  Of course we are all going to wish that we could 1 putt every green.  

• budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Sun, Aug 11 2019 7:42 AM

I average 1.67 putts per hole & 24.16 per round. So 12 a side is a number I am happy with. Anything better that and I am more happy. As for helping others. I always tell people that putting starts with the approach shot & being able to hit it with some consistency to a spot that will leave them with a putt they can make. I average 15 feet distance to pin. 12 putts a side becomes 11 or maybe 10 when that 15 feet represents a putt I can make instead of 15 feet screaming down hill or with some measure of wierd, quirky break. That is the kind of putt I don't want to see because it's a putt that I may or may not make. If you're looking to help others, I applaud your efforts. I have been the beneficiary of a lot of help over the years and being able to pay it forward is a beautiful thing.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2019 3:20 PM

kipdog87:

Hi all,

I will say sorry in advance if this is an old topic. I was wondering how many putt you think you are happy with on 9 holes, for me 12 putts means that i will be about 5 under and 14 putts means that i have had a tough day at the office. I hope that with your help will give a guide that might help others

There are 2 putting awards (I forgot the name): maximum of 24 putts for 18 holes and 12 for 9. So normally a score of 58 for par-70, 59 for par-71, and 60 for par-72 are considered the minimum standard of WGT golf excellence. 

• kipdog87
    2,046 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2019 4:25 PM
    Ok as i am luckly or unluckly to be a T/C, i think i should be 10 -12, but at the same time, if i land 80 foot from the hole then i should still 2 putt, so sometimes you should gauge if one or two putts makes a save. Mick
RSS